Maximize the distance of projectile on a hill

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the maximum range of a rock thrown by an athlete standing at the peak of a hill that slopes downward uniformly at angle ##\phi## can be achieved by throwing the rock at an angle ##\theta = \frac{1}{2} (90 - \phi)## from the horizontal. This is found by setting the first derivative of ##x = \frac{v_0^2}{g}(\sin 2 \theta + 2 \tan \phi \cos^2 \theta)## to zero and solving for ##\theta##. This relationship allows for the calculation of the maximum range, ##x##, in terms of the slope angle ##\phi##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

An athlete stands at the peak of a hill that slopes downward uniformly at angle ##\phi##. At what angle ##\theta## from the horizontal should they throw a rock so that it has the greatest range?

Homework Equations

SUVAT equations and trig relations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the following three equations:

##y = v_0 \sin \theta t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2##
##t = \frac{x}{v_0 \cos \theta}##
##y = -x \tan \phi##

I combined all of these to find the final horizontal position x:

##x = \frac{v_0^2}{g}(\sin 2 \theta + 2 \tan \phi \cos^2 \theta)##
We need to maximize ##x## with respect to ##\theta##, so we take the first derivative and set it to ##0##.

##\frac{dx}{d \theta} = 2 \cos 2 \theta + 2 \tan \phi (2 \cos \theta) (- \sin \theta) = 0##

##\tan 2 \theta = \frac{1}{ \tan \phi}##

So this is what I end up with, but I am not sure what to do next... Any ideas?

Edit: I played with it a little more and found that ##\theta = \frac{1}{2} (90 - \phi)##, but I am not quite sure how to use this to find the angle that gives the maximum distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

An athlete stands at the peak of a hill that slopes downward uniformly at angle ##\phi##. At what angle ##\theta## from the horizontal should they throw a rock so that it has the greatest range?

Homework Equations

SUVAT equations and trig relations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the following three equations:

##y = v_0 \sin \theta t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2##
##t = \frac{x}{v_0 \cos \theta}##
##y = -x \tan \phi##

I combined all of these to find the final horizontal position x:

We need to maximize ##x## with respect to ##\theta##, so we take the first derivative and set it to ##0##.

##\frac{dx}{d \theta} = 2 \cos 2 \theta + 2 \tan \phi (2 \cos \theta) (- \sin \theta) = 0##

You know tan(2θ). What is θ then? (Imagine a numerical value for tan(Φ). How would you calculate θ? )

Your analysis shows that the angle to get maximum distance depends on the slope ... if you expect the max distance angle to be independent of the slope, then you have made a mistake somewhere.

Note: what do they mean by "range"?

Mr Davis 97 said:
##\theta = \frac{1}{2} (90 - \phi)##, but I am not quite sure how to use this to find the angle that gives the maximum distance.

That was an excellent solution. And that is the answer. You have found ##\theta## in terms of ##\phi##.

What you have is called a general solution to the problem: you have established a direct relationship between the two variables.

Now, if you know or measure ##\phi## for a given slope, you can calculate the required ##\theta##. You could then calculate the range, ##x##, using these values.

Alternatively, you could go back to your equation:

And, using some trig, express ##x## entirely as a function of ##\phi## using ##\theta = \frac{1}{2} (90 - \phi)##

That would give you a general solution for the maximum possible range, ##x##, in terms of ##\phi##.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
Yes, I have an idea - you're done, essentially!
To finish up,
tan(2θ) = cot(φ)
2θ = tan-1[cot(φ)]
& I'll leave the rest to you! :-)
Well done.

EDIT: and yes I see that θ = 1/2 (90 - φ) is equivalent and better.

PeroK said:
That was an excellent solution. And that is the answer. You have found ##\theta## in terms of ##\phi##.

What you have is called a general solution to the problem: you have established a direct relationship between the two variables.

Now, if you know or measure ##\phi## for a given slope, you can calculate the required ##\theta##. You could then calculate the range, ##x##, using these values.

Alternatively, you could go back to your equation:

And, using some trig, express ##x## entirely as a function of ##\phi## using ##\theta = \frac{1}{2} (90 - \phi)##

That would give you a general solution for the maximum possible range, ##x##, in terms of ##\phi##.

Awesome! I'll try to remember that in the future, that the solution might just be a symbolic relationship rather than numerical.

Related to Maximize the distance of projectile on a hill

1. How does the angle of the hill affect the distance of a projectile?

The steeper the angle of the hill, the shorter the distance of the projectile will be. This is because a steeper hill will require the projectile to travel a shorter horizontal distance to reach the same height compared to a less steep hill.

2. Can the weight of the projectile affect the distance it travels on a hill?

Yes, the weight of the projectile can affect its distance on a hill. A heavier projectile will have more momentum, allowing it to travel further. However, it is important to consider the angle of the hill and the initial velocity of the projectile as well.

3. How does the initial velocity of the projectile impact its distance on a hill?

The initial velocity of the projectile is a crucial factor in determining its distance on a hill. The higher the initial velocity, the further the projectile will travel. This is because a higher initial velocity will give the projectile more momentum and allow it to overcome any resistance from the hill.

4. Is there an optimal angle for maximizing the distance of a projectile on a hill?

Yes, there is an optimal angle for maximizing the distance of a projectile on a hill. This angle, known as the angle of trajectory, is typically around 45 degrees. At this angle, the projectile will have the maximum horizontal velocity and will travel the furthest distance before hitting the ground.

5. How does air resistance affect the distance of a projectile on a hill?

Air resistance can significantly impact the distance of a projectile on a hill. As the projectile travels through the air, it will experience a force of resistance from the air molecules. This force will slow down the projectile, causing it to lose some of its initial velocity and travel a shorter distance on the hill.