Maximal volume of a Cuboid inscribed in an Ellipsoid

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed inside half of an ellipsoid using Lagrange's multipliers. The final answer obtained was Vmax = 4/9 √3 abc, and it was confirmed to be correct.
gipc
I have an important paper to submit and I have a feeling I didn't solve the following correctly.

I have to find the maximal volume of a Cuboid inscribed inside half of the Ellipsoid
D={(x,y,z): x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 <=1, z>=0 }

So I decided to use Lagrange's multipliers.

That's what I got:

v(x,y,z) = 4xyz
d(x,y,z) = x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 = 1

∇v = λ ∇d
2yz = λ x/a^2
2xz = λ y/b^2
2xy = λ z/c^2

⇒ y/x = b/a and z/y = c/b
y^2/b^2 = 1/3 ... plug into d
y = b/√3
x = a/√3
z = c/√3
Vmax = 4/9 √3 abc

Answer: Vmax = 4/9 √3 abc

Is this OK?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok to me.

Related to Maximal volume of a Cuboid inscribed in an Ellipsoid

1. What is the definition of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid?

A cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that is completely contained inside an ellipsoid, with all of its eight vertices touching the surface of the ellipsoid.

2. How is the maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid calculated?

The maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid is calculated by finding the dimensions of the cuboid that will result in the largest possible volume while still fitting inside the ellipsoid. This can be done using mathematical equations and calculus.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid?

Finding the maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid is important in many fields of science, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can help determine the most efficient use of space and materials, as well as provide insights into the behavior of ellipsoids and their relationship to other shapes.

4. What factors affect the maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid?

The maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid is affected by the size and shape of the ellipsoid, as well as the orientation and position of the cuboid within the ellipsoid. The ratio of the lengths of the three axes of the ellipsoid also plays a significant role.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for the maximal volume of a cuboid inscribed in an ellipsoid. For example, it can be used in designing efficient packaging for products, creating optimal storage spaces in warehouses, and optimizing the shape of vehicles for aerodynamics. It also has applications in geology and geophysics for studying the shape and properties of natural ellipsoids, such as planets and asteroids.