Max Weight for Helium Balloon: Simple Buoyancy Problem Solution

• Thread starter ChemIsHard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation discussed the maximum mass that can be tied to a 0.900 g helium-filled balloon without it sinking to the floor. The solution involved setting the buoyant force equal to the weight of the balloon and the attached mass, and solving for the mass. After making a calculation error, it was determined that the correct answer was 7.5g.
ChemIsHard

Homework Statement

A 0.900 g balloon is filled with helium gas until it becomes a 25.0 cm-diameter sphere.
What maximum mass can be tied to the balloon (with a massless string) without the balloon sinking to the floor?

Homework Equations

Fb=VSphere*Pair*Gravity
Fg=Vsphere*Phelium*Gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set them equal to each other (so that the net force is 0) and found that...

Vsphere(Phelium-Pair)*9.8-0.0009kg*9.8(mass of ballon)=Mass attachable/9.8

I got 7.5g but that's wrong. Anyone know where I messed up my process?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Still looking for some help. I've run the calculation several times and keep get 7.45g...

I still get 7.45g...weird.

My balloon circumference is 25 cm. The balloon weighs 0.9g. Pair=1.2, PHelium=0.1785

Therefor my radius is 0.125m and my balloon mass is 0.0009kg.

4/3pi(0.125)^3*1.2=Mass+0.0009kg+4/3pi(0.125)^3*0.1785

Mass=0.007457kg=7.5g...

Anyone see where I'm messing up.

I was right...I just had different constants than the book...

Dumb mistake.

Related to Max Weight for Helium Balloon: Simple Buoyancy Problem Solution

What is a simple buoyancy problem?

A simple buoyancy problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the upward force, or buoyant force, exerted on an object immersed in a fluid. This is typically done using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

How do you solve a simple buoyancy problem?

To solve a simple buoyancy problem, you first need to determine the volume of the object and the density of the fluid it is immersed in. Then, use Archimedes' principle to calculate the buoyant force. Finally, compare the buoyant force to the weight of the object to determine whether it will float or sink.

What is the difference between buoyancy and weight?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it, while weight is the downward force exerted on an object by gravity. In a simple buoyancy problem, the buoyant force must be greater than the weight for an object to float.

What factors affect buoyancy?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by its volume, the density of the fluid it is immersed in, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the shape and position of the object in the fluid can also affect the buoyant force.

Can buoyancy be negative?

No, buoyancy cannot be negative. The buoyant force always acts in the opposite direction of the weight of the object, so it is always a positive force. If the weight of the object is greater than the buoyant force, the object will sink, but the buoyant force will still be positive.