Max values for function of 3 variables with two constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum values of a given function subject to certain constraints. The approach involves finding the gradient of the function and constraints and setting them equal to each other, then solving the resulting system of equations. The speaker also mentions using factoring and checking boundary points as potential methods for solving the equations.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

Find the maximum values of f(x,y,z)=xy+xz+yz-4xyz subject to the constraints x+y+z=1 and x,y,z>or equal 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

see attachment
I found fgrad and ggrad and set fgrad equal to lambda*ggrad and used x+y+z=1 for my system of equations. I am have difficulty solving for x,y,z,lambda. I've spent over half hour attempting to algebraically solve for the variables. Please direct as to how to solve this system of equations. I need help with this problem ASAP! Thanks Dan

Attachments

• problem 6.jpg
    problem 6.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
Help Me It is very important I complete this problem. How do i solve the 4 equations?

hi dan, been a while since I've done these, but see if this helps, (and if you agree with it...)
your equations
[tex] y+z-4yz = \lambda [/tex]
[tex] x+z-4xz = \lambda [/tex]
[tex] y+x-4yx = \lambda [/tex]
[tex] x + y + z = 1 [/tex]
with
[tex] x, y, z > 0 [/tex]

equating each one in terms of lamba and factoring gives, for the first one
[tex] y+z-4yz = x+z -4xz [/tex]
gives
[tex] y(1-4z) = x(1-4z) [/tex]
[tex] x(1-4y) = z(1-4y) [/tex]
[tex] z(1-4x) = y(1-4x) [/tex]
with the constraints
[tex] x + y + z = 1 [/tex]
and
[tex] x, y, z > 0 [/tex]
hopefully thsi helps, though you should also check the boundary points too

Related to Max values for function of 3 variables with two constraints

1. What are "Max values for function of 3 variables with two constraints"?

"Max values for function of 3 variables with two constraints" refers to the maximum possible value of a function that depends on three variables, while also satisfying two additional constraints. These constraints can be equations, inequalities, or other conditions that the variables must meet.

2. How do you find the max values for a function of 3 variables with two constraints?

To find the max values for a function of 3 variables with two constraints, you can use methods such as Lagrange multipliers, substitution, or graphical analysis. These methods involve manipulating the equations or inequalities to isolate the variables and then finding the values that produce the highest possible output for the function.

3. What are Lagrange multipliers and how are they used to find max values for a function of 3 variables with two constraints?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used to solve optimization problems involving multiple constraints. They involve creating an additional equation, called the Lagrangian equation, that incorporates the original function and the constraints. By finding the critical points of this equation, you can determine the max values for the function.

4. Are there any limitations to using substitution to find max values for a function of 3 variables with two constraints?

Yes, there are limitations to using substitution to find max values for a function of 3 variables with two constraints. This method can become very complex and time-consuming for functions with more than three variables or constraints. Additionally, it may not always yield the most accurate results compared to other methods.

5. Can graphical analysis be used to find max values for a function of 3 variables with two constraints?

Yes, graphical analysis can be used to find max values for a function of 3 variables with two constraints. This method involves plotting the function and constraints on a graph and visually determining the point or points that produce the maximum output for the function. However, this method may not always be accurate and may not work for more complex functions or constraints.