Max Step Size for Error < 5*10^-4 in Linear Interpolation of e^x on [0,1]

In summary, the maximum step size that can be used in the function F(x)=ex ∈ [0, 1] to ensure that the error in the linear interpolation is less than 5*10^-4 is approximately 0.00282. This can be calculated using the formula for the error in linear interpolation and the maximum value of the second derivative of the function.
devilsys

Homework Statement

Hi m8s,

determine the max. step size that can be used in the function of F(x)=ex
∈ [0, 1] so the error in the linear interpolation less than 5*10-4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the Taylor expansion to get an eqn. so i be able to get the general interpolation egn. as:
f(x)=1+x+x2/2+x3/6+...
and to the linear the eqn. will be:
f(x)=1+x

then i got the table with my x0 =0.1 and my step size = 0.2 , and i got p(x)~0.18x+1.0625 ,
and i said that the e^x = P(x) to able to get the step size (h) as asked .
But the problem is i can't get it to the error less than 5*10^-4 in my step size.

thxx in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. To determine the maximum step size that can be used in the given function F(x)=ex ∈ [0, 1] so that the error in the linear interpolation is less than 5*10^-4, we can use the formula for the error in linear interpolation:

Error = (M2/2)*(h^(2))

Where M2 is the maximum value of the second derivative of the function over the interval [0,1] and h is the step size.

In this case, the second derivative of F(x)=ex is also equal to ex, which has a maximum value of e when x=1. Therefore, M2 = e and we can plug this into the formula:

Error = (e/2)*(h^(2))

To make the error less than 5*10^-4, we can set this formula equal to 5*10^-4 and solve for h:

5*10^-4 = (e/2)*(h^(2))
h = √(5*10^-4/(e/2)) ≈ 0.00282

Therefore, the maximum step size that can be used in this function is approximately 0.00282. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Max Step Size for Error < 5*10^-4 in Linear Interpolation of e^x on [0,1]

What is interpolation and how is it used in math problems?

Interpolation is a mathematical method used to estimate the value of a function at a point within a given range of data points. It involves using known data points to find the value of a function at a specific point between those data points. In math problems, interpolation is often used to estimate missing values or to fill in gaps in data sets.

What are the different types of interpolation methods?

There are several types of interpolation methods, including linear interpolation, polynomial interpolation, and spline interpolation. Linear interpolation uses a straight line to connect two adjacent data points, polynomial interpolation uses a polynomial function to connect multiple data points, and spline interpolation uses a series of polynomial functions to create a smooth curve between data points.

How do you know which interpolation method to use?

The choice of interpolation method depends on the type of data and the desired level of accuracy. Linear interpolation is simple and works well for linear data sets, while polynomial and spline interpolation are more complex but can provide more accurate results for non-linear data sets.

What are the limitations of interpolation in math problems?

Interpolation is based on the assumption that the function being estimated is continuous and smooth. If the data points are too far apart or if there are outliers in the data, interpolation may not provide accurate results. Additionally, interpolation cannot be used to predict values outside of the given range of data points.

Can interpolation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, interpolation is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, finance, and statistics to estimate values and make predictions based on existing data. It can be used to analyze trends, fill in missing data, and make informed decisions based on available information.