Max. Permissible Bearing Preload for Angular Contact Bearings

In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of angular contact bearings to support a spindle for a project. The individual is looking for information on the maximum permissible preloading limits for the bearings and asks for suggestions on where to find this information. They have already checked the websites of major bearing manufacturers such as NSK, INA/FAG, and SKF, but have not found the specific numerical and graphical data they are looking for. The conversation also mentions contacting the manufacturers directly for a response. The person providing the summary then shares links from the SKF website that discuss minimum preload and provide a bearing selector tool. The person also mentions the importance of not exceeding the dynamic or static bearing load and suggests doing calculations for thermal and other movements of the spindle. The summary ends
bhaazee
For my Project, two angular contact bearings are selected to support a spindle. However, I would like to preload both the bearings considering thermla expansion.. I would like to know the max. permissible preloading limits for the bearings. Could someone suggest me some good material or links to know the max. permissible bearing preload?

Regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi bhaazee,
I'd suggest going to the SKF website and using their library. It should have what you're looking for.

Guys! Thnx for ur reply. I have already been through NSK, INA/FAG and SKF websites. The main problem is that, although they tend to explain the facts, the numerical and graphical datas (particularly preload vs axial displacement, preload vs rotational speed) for individual bearings are missing. Have mailed all three Manufacturers and hoping for a reply.

Regards.

From the SKF site:

The minimum preload:
http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=1_14_13

And the bearing selector:
http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalogue/jsp/viewers/productTableViewer.jsp?&lang=en&newlink=1&tableName=1_14_1&presentationType=3&startnum=1

Minumum preload is recommended so the bearing does not fail early.

You select your own maximum preload, but making sure the load in action does not go over the dynamic or static bearing load. You will have to do some calculations thermal and other movements of your spindle to be within the limits.

Bahazee. Why is it that I could find the information and you could not??

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Max. Permissible Bearing Preload for Angular Contact Bearings

1. What is the purpose of calculating the maximum permissible bearing preload for angular contact bearings?

The maximum permissible bearing preload is calculated to determine the optimal amount of force that can be applied to the bearings to achieve the desired level of stiffness and reduce the risk of premature bearing failure.

2. How is the maximum permissible bearing preload for angular contact bearings calculated?

The maximum permissible bearing preload is calculated based on the bearing's design, size, and the desired level of stiffness. It can be calculated using equations or through software programs specifically designed for this purpose.

3. What factors can affect the maximum permissible bearing preload?

The maximum permissible bearing preload can be affected by factors such as the type of lubrication used, the operating temperature, the degree of misalignment, and the speed of rotation. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating the maximum permissible bearing preload.

4. How does the maximum permissible bearing preload affect the performance of angular contact bearings?

The maximum permissible bearing preload has a significant impact on the performance of angular contact bearings. If the preload is too low, the bearings may experience excessive play and reduce their stiffness, leading to reduced precision and increased wear. If the preload is too high, it can cause excessive stress on the bearings and result in premature failure.

5. Can the maximum permissible bearing preload be adjusted after installation?

Yes, the maximum permissible bearing preload can be adjusted after installation by adjusting the bearing nuts or using specialized tools to add or remove shims. However, it is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations before making any adjustments to ensure the optimal performance and longevity of the bearings.