Max Load before square tube deforms

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum post author is trying to determine the maximum torsional moment on bulkhead A due to the weight of the arm, which is made of aluminum T6061 hollow tubes. They are considering the material strength in their calculation and have provided an equation for finding the maximum torsional moment. However, it is important to consider additional factors if there is a possibility of the arm breaking off from bulkhead A. Consulting with a structural engineer or referring to engineering resources may be helpful in this analysis.
raionz
My boss just told me to get him this today and the last time I took a mechanic class pluto was still a planet.

See diagram attached.
diagram.JPG

Both bulkhead A and arm are made of aluminum T6061 hollow tubes.
Arm is at center of A.

Assuming that arm will never break off from A, will the current load deform A? I vaguely remember max torsional moments is what I'm looking for but that doesn't take into account material strength.

Shear stress = load + weight of arm.

t=0.25"
b=6"

If max torsional moment is = (2/9) (tau max) (b^3)
tau max = 0.27 (V/t)[b^3-(b-2t)^3] / [b^4 - (b-2t)^4]

V = transverse shear force
is V = shear stress?

Where does material property come in? Please help. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for sharing your question and providing the diagram. Based on the information provided, it seems that you are trying to determine the maximum torsional moment on bulkhead A due to the weight of the arm. You are correct in considering the material strength of the aluminum T6061 in this calculation.

To calculate the maximum torsional moment, you will need to determine the transverse shear force (V) acting on the arm. This can be calculated by taking the shear stress (τ) and multiplying it by the cross-sectional area of the arm. In this case, the cross-sectional area would be the area of a hollow tube with a thickness (t) of 0.25" and a width (b) of 6".

Once you have determined the transverse shear force, you can use the equation you provided to calculate the maximum torsional moment. This equation takes into account the material strength by including the shear stress (τ) in the calculation.

It is important to note that the maximum torsional moment calculation assumes that the arm will never break off from bulkhead A. If there is a possibility of the arm breaking off, additional factors such as bending moments and stress concentrations would need to be considered in the analysis.

I hope this helps in your calculations. If you need further assistance, I recommend consulting with a structural engineer or referring to engineering resources for more detailed information. Best of luck with your project.

Related to Max Load before square tube deforms

1. What is the maximum load a square tube can withstand before it deforms?

The maximum load a square tube can withstand before it deforms depends on various factors such as the material, dimensions, and type of loading. It is essential to consider the yield strength and ultimate strength of the material to determine the maximum load capacity.

2. How do you calculate the maximum load before a square tube deforms?

The maximum load can be calculated by dividing the yield strength or ultimate strength of the material by a safety factor. The safety factor takes into account the uncertainties and variations in the material properties and loading conditions.

3. Can the shape of the square tube affect its maximum load capacity?

Yes, the shape of the square tube can significantly impact its maximum load capacity. For instance, a square tube with thicker walls will have a higher load-bearing capacity compared to a square tube with thinner walls, even if they are made of the same material.

4. What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation of a square tube?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, meaning the square tube will return to its original shape once the load is removed. On the other hand, plastic deformation is permanent, and the square tube will not return to its original shape, even after the load is removed. The maximum load before plastic deformation occurs is known as the yield strength of the material.

5. How can I ensure that the square tube does not deform under a given load?

To prevent deformation, it is crucial to choose the appropriate material, dimensions, and design of the square tube based on the expected load and loading conditions. Additionally, using proper supports and bracing can also help distribute the load and prevent deformation.