Two dimensional motion with constant acceleration problem,

In summary, the basketball player has a center of mass that moves through a jump with a maximum height of 1.85m and a range of 2.80m horizontally. The player's center of mass starts at an elevation of 1.02m and reaches a height of 0.900m when landing. The "hang" time, angle of takeoff, and horizontal and vertical velocity components at takeoff are unknown. The equations for X and Y motion were written, but there are 3 unknowns and only 2 equations, making it impossible to solve. The range and symmetry of the movement were considered, but without knowing the angle or initial speed, the problem cannot be solved. The speaker is stuck and seeking
alexkolb
Basketball player covers 2.80m horizontally in a jump.
His center of mass moves through the space as following:
his center of mass is at elevation 1.02m when he leaves the floor,
it reaches a maximum height of 1.85 above the floor, and its at 0.900m

when he touches down again.

determine his flight "hang" time, angle of takeoff, horizontal and

vertical velocity components at takeoff.

Please help, i don't know where too start, seems like too much is

unknown...

--

I started by making a drawing, and i thought that since max height and

range are given ill go from there, but the motion is not symmetrical

So i wrote out the X and Y motion equations:

Xf = Vix * t = Vi cosA * t , where A is the unknown angle V unknown

speed, t unknows time
Xy = Vyx *t = Vi sinA * t + 1/2gt^2

But i can't solve systems because there are 3 unknowns and 2 equations

So i went back to max height and range again, i tried to figure out

what the range was for symmetrical movement, but i couldn't since i

dont know the angle, and even if i did i wouldn't know what to do with

the rest of the motion trajectory, so that's it, I am stuck here, i don't

even know what to do because it seems that to solve it i need either

angle or initial speed..

Help please...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so? nobody has a clue?

I understand your frustration with this problem. It does seem like there are a lot of unknown variables and it can be overwhelming to figure out where to start. However, there are a few key pieces of information that we can use to solve this problem.

First, we know that the player covers 2.80m horizontally in a jump. This gives us the range, or horizontal distance, of the jump. We also know the maximum height and the elevation at takeoff and landing. This gives us the vertical distance of the jump.

Next, we can use the equations for constant acceleration to help us solve for the unknown variables. The equations are:

Xf = Xi + Vix * t + 1/2 * ax * t^2
Vf = Vi + ax * t
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2 * ax * (Xf - Xi)

In these equations, Xf is the final position, Xi is the initial position, Vix is the initial velocity in the x direction, t is the time, and ax is the acceleration in the x direction. We can also use the same equations for the y direction, using Viy and ay for the vertical velocity and acceleration, respectively.

Using the given information, we can set up a system of equations to solve for the unknown variables. We know that the final position in the x direction is 2.80m, the initial position is 0m, and the initial velocity in the x direction is unknown. We also know that the final position in the y direction is 1.85m and the initial position is 1.02m. The initial velocity in the y direction is also unknown.

We also know that the acceleration in the y direction is due to gravity, which we can assume to be -9.8 m/s^2. Since the motion is in two dimensions, we can also assume that the acceleration in the x direction is 0 m/s^2.

Using these equations, we can solve for the unknown variables. The flight "hang" time can be found by setting the final position in the y direction equal to the initial position in the y direction and solving for t. This will give us the time the player spends in the air.

The angle of takeoff can be found by using the equation for the x direction velocity and setting it equal to the given horizontal velocity of the jump, 2.80m/t.

Related to Two dimensional motion with constant acceleration problem,

1. What is "two dimensional motion with constant acceleration"?

Two dimensional motion with constant acceleration refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions (usually represented as x and y axes) with a constant acceleration, meaning the object's acceleration remains the same throughout its motion.

2. What are the equations used to solve problems involving two dimensional motion with constant acceleration?

The equations used are the same as those used in one dimensional motion with constant acceleration, which are:

vf = vi + at

Δx = vit + 1/2at^2

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aΔx

Δx = 1/2(vi + vf)t

3. How do you determine the direction of the acceleration in two dimensional motion problems?

The direction of acceleration can be determined by using the sign convention, where positive values indicate acceleration in the positive direction and negative values indicate acceleration in the negative direction. In two dimensional motion, the direction of acceleration can also be determined by the direction of the object's velocity and whether it is increasing or decreasing.

4. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem in two dimensional motion problems?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the magnitude of the displacement or velocity in two dimensional motion problems. It is often used when the object's motion is at an angle to the x and y axes.

5. How do you solve for time in two dimensional motion problems?

To solve for time, you can use any of the equations mentioned in question 2, depending on the given variables. If the object's initial velocity and acceleration are known, the equation vf = vi + at can be used. If the displacement is known, the equation Δx = vit + 1/2at^2 can be used. If both the initial and final velocities are known, the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aΔx can be used. Lastly, if the average velocity is known, the equation Δx = 1/2(vi + vf)t can be used.