Max and Min Values of f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 on Domain [0,1]

• Thread starter snoggerT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Global
In summary: That's why I had just the four cases.- In summary, when finding global extreme values of a function on a given domain, one method is to evaluate the critical points and use the boundary to find the maximum and minimum values. However, it can be tedious and unnecessary. It is also important to examine the function and its boundaries. In this case, the function f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 is always greater or equal to 0, so the global minimum would be 0. Since x is not bounded above, the function contains points arbitrarily far from the origin, but it is not necessary to find the maximum. To find the maximum, we must examine all the boundary segments, including the endpoints,
snoggerT
determine the global extreme values of the function on the given domain:

f(x,y)=x^2+2y^2 , 0<=x,y<=1

The Attempt at a Solution

- I know you need to evaluate the critical points first and then use the boundary to find the maximum and minimum values, but I can't seem to get the right answer. I think I'm just misunderstanding the way you go about a problem like this. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Finding critical points is one way to solve it, but it's a little tedious and unnecessary. Just start by examining the function [tex]f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 [/tex].

Note that the function is greater or equal to 0. That should tell you something about the extreme values. And note that while x is bounded below, it's not bounded above, what does that say about the function?

Defennder said:
Finding critical points is one way to solve it, but it's a little tedious and unnecessary. Just start by examining the function [tex]f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 [/tex].

Note that the function is greater or equal to 0. That should tell you something about the extreme values. And note that while x is bounded below, it's not bounded above, what does that say about the function?

- would the function always being great than or equal to zero mean that the global minimum would be 0?

with x not being bounded above, that would mean that it contains points arbitrarily far from the origin, but I'm not sure what that would mean for finding the maximum.

Yes, for the first part.

For the second, does the question say anything about the function necessarily having a maximum?

Defennder said:
Yes, for the first part.

For the second, does the question say anything about the function necessarily having a maximum?

- no, but the answer in the back of the book has a maximum and a minimum (0). I just don't see how they got the answer they got for the maximum.

If the function has a max, it must be on the boundary of 0<=x,y<=1, yes?

Dick said:
If the function has a max, it must be on the boundary of 0<=x,y<=1, yes?

- right. so how would you set up the problem to find that max? the problem before it, I wasn't sure if I did it right, but I got the right answer. I did this problem the same way and got the wrong answer, so I just think I got lucky doing the problem before incorrectly. So I guess I'm not really sure how to set a problem like this up.

snoggerT said:
- no, but the answer in the back of the book has a maximum and a minimum (0). I just don't see how they got the answer they got for the maximum.
What does your book say that maximum is?

snoggerT said:
- right. so how would you set up the problem to find that max? the problem before it, I wasn't sure if I did it right, but I got the right answer. I did this problem the same way and got the wrong answer, so I just think I got lucky doing the problem before incorrectly. So I guess I'm not really sure how to set a problem like this up.

The boundary consists of four line segments. One of them is x=0, 0<=y<=1. What's the maximum along that segment? What about the other three?

HallsofIvy said:
What does your book say that maximum is?

- the book has the max at 3, but I got 2 for my max.

snoggerT said:
- the book has the max at 3, but I got 2 for my max.

Try ALL of the boundary segments. How about x=1, 0<=y<=1?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Try ALL of the boundary segments. How about x=1, 0<=y<=1?

- this is what I did to try and find my maximum value:

y=0, 0<=x<=1 >>> f(x,0)=x^2 >>> f(1,0) = 1

y=1, 0<=x<=1 >>> f(x,1)=x^2+2 >>> f(0,0)=2

x=0, 0<=y<=1 >>> f(0,y)=2y^2 >>> f(0,1)=2

x=1, 0<=y<=1 >>> f(1,y)=1+2y^2 >>> f(1,0)=1

I have no clue if that's the correct way of setting these problems up because the book isn't very clear on it, but that's how I got the answer for the first problem and it was right.

snoggerT said:
- this is what I did to try and find my maximum value:

y=0, 0<=x<=1 >>> f(x,0)=x^2 >>> f(1,0) = 1

y=1, 0<=x<=1 >>> f(x,1)=x^2+2 >>> f(0,0)=2

x=0, 0<=y<=1 >>> f(0,y)=2y^2 >>> f(0,1)=2

x=1, 0<=y<=1 >>> f(1,y)=1+2y^2 >>> f(1,0)=1

I have no clue if that's the correct way of setting these problems up because the book isn't very clear on it, but that's how I got the answer for the first problem and it was right.

Somehow, you are completely missing the possibility that x=1 and y=1. f(1,1)=3.

Basically, then, your error was not looking at the "boundaries of the boundaries"- that is, the endpoints of the line segments.

Dick said:
Somehow, you are completely missing the possibility that x=1 and y=1. f(1,1)=3.

- alright, I see now. I was going a lot off the one example in the book and they didn't use that possibility (just the 4 I used). Can somebody explain the proper way to set these problems up?

So, we need to look at total of 12 cases (some will be duplicates)?

4 cases he described and 2 more for each of those cases
1)y=1, 0<=x<=1 >>> f(x,1)=x^2+2 >>> f(0,0)=2
2) y =1, x = 0
3) y = 1,x = 1

In case of circular dimension/any dimension that can be described by a function, we do two times?
>find min/max of area
>find min/max along the circular line (using deltas/something)

Oh wow, I thought he meant x>=0 and y<=1 rather than both x,y in [0,1].

Related to Max and Min Values of f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 on Domain [0,1]

1. What is the maximum value of f(x,y) on the given domain?

The maximum value of f(x,y) on the given domain [0,1] is 2.

2. How do you determine the minimum value of f(x,y) on the given domain?

To determine the minimum value of f(x,y) on the given domain [0,1], we can take the derivative of the function with respect to both x and y, set them equal to 0, and solve for x and y. Plugging these values back into the original function will give us the minimum value.

3. Can the maximum or minimum value of f(x,y) occur at the endpoints of the domain?

Yes, the maximum or minimum value of f(x,y) can occur at the endpoints of the domain [0,1]. In this case, the maximum value of 2 occurs at (0,1) and the minimum value of 0 occurs at (0,0).

4. Is the function f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 on Domain [0,1] symmetric?

Yes, the function f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 on Domain [0,1] is symmetric. This can be seen by swapping x and y, which would result in the same function.

5. What is the shape of the graph of f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 on Domain [0,1]?

The graph of f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 on Domain [0,1] is a paraboloid, with the minimum point at (0,0) and increasing values as x and y increase.