Max and Min of function via Lagrange multipliers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum and minimum values of the function (x-y)^n under the constraint x^2 + 3y^2 = 1, where n is a fixed positive integer. The speaker has calculated the critical points and is asking for advice on the best approach for finding the max and min values. Another speaker suggests showing their calculations instead of just providing the answer. The first speaker then explains their method of solving the system of equations and splitting n into even and odd cases. The conversation ends with the first speaker asking if their approach is correct.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If n is a fixed positive integer, compute the max and min values of the function [tex] (x-y)^n = f(x,y), [/tex] under the constraint [itex] x^2 + 3y^2 = 1 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the 4 critical points [itex] (±\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}, ±\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}})\,\,\text{and}\,\, (±\frac{1}{2},±\frac{1}{2}) [/itex]
Correct? My question is : to find the max and min of this function under this constraint, I split n into even and odd cases and found the values from there. Is that the right way to go about the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone offer any advice?
I alo noted that I got 4 values of x but I only had 3 equations. Does this make sense?

I think you would get more feedback if you actually show your calculations instead of just your answer.

CAF123 said:
Can anyone offer any advice?
I alo noted that I got 4 values of x but I only had 3 equations. Does this make sense?

Sure: you can get more than one value from a single equation. For example, the single equation x^2 = 4 has two roots: x = 2 and x = -2.

RGV

micromass said:
I think you would get more feedback if you actually show your calculations instead of just your answer.
I computed [itex] f_{x}, f_{y}, g_{x}, g_{y} [/itex] and solved the system of equations: [tex] n(x-y)^{n-1} = 2\lambda x, -n(x-y)^{n-1} = 6\lambda y\,\,\text{and}\,\, x^2 + 3y^2 =1 [/tex] Adding the first of these equations gives λ=0 or x=-3y. Sub x=-3y into the constraint to give y= ±1/sqrt(12) which implies x= ±(sqrt(3))/2. Now using λ=0 gives x=y , which again by the constraint gives x=±1/2 and y=±1/2. Correct?

To find the max and min I split n into even and odd. I am pretty confident this is correct because I have suitable answers, but I was wondering if the question wanted me to do something else(purely because I had to prove the cases for any n=2k, n= 2k+1, etc.. which that sort of style of working I had not done before in calculus)

Related to Max and Min of function via Lagrange multipliers

1. What is the concept of a max and min of a function via Lagrange multipliers?

The concept of max and min of a function via Lagrange multipliers is a method used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to certain constraints. It involves using a mathematical technique called Lagrange multipliers, which allows for the optimization of a function while taking into account the constraints.

2. When is the method of Lagrange multipliers used?

The method of Lagrange multipliers is typically used when solving optimization problems in multivariable calculus. It is especially useful when the function being optimized is subject to one or more constraints.

3. How does the method of Lagrange multipliers work?

The method of Lagrange multipliers works by setting up a system of equations using the original function and the constraints, and then solving for the values of the variables that satisfy these equations. These values correspond to the maximum or minimum of the function subject to the given constraints.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrange multipliers?

One of the main advantages of using Lagrange multipliers is that it allows for the optimization of a function while taking into account constraints, which makes it a powerful tool for solving real-world problems. Additionally, it can often simplify the process of finding critical points and determining whether they are maxima or minima.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers?

While Lagrange multipliers can be a useful method for optimization, there are some limitations to its use. It may not always be the most efficient method for finding maxima and minima, and it may not work for more complex functions or constraints. Additionally, it relies heavily on the initial setup of the equations and can be prone to error if the equations are not set up correctly.