Matrix Subspace question: Does B2x2 form a subspace of M2x2?

In summary, the set B2x2 of all symmetric matrices forms a subspace of M2x2, as it passes the two axioms of closure under addition and scalar multiplication.
OFFLINEX

Homework Statement

The set of all matrices A2x2 forms a vector space under the normal operations of matrix + and Scalar multiplication. Does the set B2x2 of all symmetric matrices form a subspace of M2x2? Explain.

Homework Equations

AT = A
Closure property of addition - If w and v are objects in A, then w+v are contained within A
Closure property of scalar multiplication - If K is any real number scalar and v is any object in A, then kv is also in A

The Attempt at a Solution

To be a subspace it must pass two axioms

1. B2x2 = [a,b;b,d] [a,b;b,d] + [e,f;g,h] = [a+e,b+f;b+g,d+h] I thought that this failed because it was not symmetric, but does it matter if the answer isn't symmetric only that its contained within A2x2

2. Scalar multiplication passes

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, if w is B it has the form [[w1,w2],[w2,w3]]. If v is in B it has the form [[v1,v2],[v2,v3]. Add them. I'm not sure what you are on about with addition.

Well my main question is, would B2x2 pass the closure property of addition because when you add another thing to it that's not symmetric it, it looses its symmetry. Would that matter.

So does it pass that axiom or not is what I'm asking.

OFFLINEX said:
Well my main question is, would B2x2 pass the closure property of addition because when you add another thing to it that's not symmetric it, it looses its symmetry. Would that matter.
It doesn't matter, since the things that are in B2x2 are symmetric matrices. One of the things you're checking to show closure under "vector" addition is whether adding two symmetric 2 x 2 matrices gives you a symmetric 2x2 matrix.
OFFLINEX said:
So does it pass that axiom or not is what I'm asking.

Related to Matrix Subspace question: Does B2x2 form a subspace of M2x2?

1. What is a matrix subspace?

A matrix subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under linear combinations. This means that if you take any two vectors in the subspace and add them together, the result will still be in the subspace.

2. How do you determine if a set of matrices is a subspace?

To determine if a set of matrices is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies three properties: it contains the zero matrix, it is closed under addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. If all three properties are satisfied, then the set is a subspace.

3. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have more than one basis. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. Since there can be more than one set of linearly independent vectors that span a subspace, there can be more than one basis for that subspace.

4. How do you find the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is equal to the number of vectors in its basis. So to find the dimension, you need to find a basis for the subspace and count the number of vectors in that basis.

5. Can a subspace of a vector space be a vector space itself?

Yes, a subspace of a vector space is itself a vector space. This is because it satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. However, the subspace may have a smaller dimension than the original vector space.