Matrix over Z7 needs revision please

In summary, the given equations are being solved over the field Z7. By performing row operations on the augmented matrix, it is determined that the solution set is {(-4x3, -x3, x3) : x3 element of Z7}. This is because there are three free variables, which indicates that there are infinitely many solutions.
JPanthon

Homework Statement

Solve

-x1 + 6x2 -2x3 = 0
5x1 + x2 + 2x3 = 0

over Z7

Additional Question: How can we immediately tell there is more than one solution?

Homework Equations

Don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

[-1 6 -2 0]_________[ (-1mod7) 6 (-2mod7) 0]
[5 1 2 0] _____=> [____5_____1____2_____0]=> [1 6 2 0] (-5R1 + R2) => [1_____6__________2_____0]
____[5 1 2 0] ________________[0___-29mod7___-8mod7___0]

=> [1 6 2 0]________(-6R2 + R1) => [1 0 4 0]
____[0 1 1 0]______________________[0 1 1 0]
So the solution set is {(-4x3, -x3, x3) : x3 element of Z7}How does this look?
Sorry if it's messy! I did my best

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized how ugly it looks!
Sorry, just ignore the underscores and pretend that they are spaces.
Or if you could tell me how to make better matrices on the computer I would be happy to redo my post!

JPanthon said:
Just realized how ugly it looks!
Sorry, just ignore the underscores and pretend that they are spaces.
Or if you could tell me how to make better matrices on the computer I would be happy to redo my post!

Post #3 in this LaTeX thread shows a matrix. You can use the "Quote" button on it to see the LaTeX source that was used to make it.

Related to Matrix over Z7 needs revision please

1. What is a matrix over Z7?

A matrix over Z7 is a mathematical concept that involves a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. The numbers are taken from the set of integers modulo 7, which means they can only have values from 0 to 6.

2. Why does a matrix over Z7 need revision?

A matrix over Z7 may need revision if it contains errors or if there are better ways to represent the data or solve the problem. Revision is important in mathematics to ensure accuracy and efficiency in calculations.

3. How is a matrix over Z7 different from a regular matrix?

A matrix over Z7 differs from a regular matrix in that the numbers are taken from a specific set of integers, rather than from a continuous range of numbers. This can affect the operations and properties of the matrix, such as determinants and inverses.

4. What are some common operations performed on a matrix over Z7?

Some common operations performed on a matrix over Z7 include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and finding determinants and inverses. These operations follow similar rules as regular matrices, but with the added constraint of working within the set of integers modulo 7.

5. How can I check if my matrix over Z7 needs revision?

You can check if your matrix over Z7 needs revision by double-checking your calculations and making sure they follow the rules of matrices over Z7. You can also consult with a mathematician or use online tools to verify your results and suggest improvements.