Matrix multiplication problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving a 2 X 2 matrix and finding a solution for another matrix B. The given information includes equations involving matrix C and its square, as well as a known matrix A. The solution involves using the inverse of A to solve for C, which is then used to find the value of B.
theCandyman
I know how to solve basic problems like this, but I have no clue where to start with one of the first parts in this example. I am given the following information about C, which is a 2 X 2 matrix.
[itex]C \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right] = \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
2\\
\end{array}
\right] [/itex] and [itex]C^2 \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right] = \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
-1\\
\end{array}
\right] [/itex]

The question asks for 2 X 2 matrices A and B so that CA = B, then solve for C.

My problem is finding what the B matrix is. A is [itex]\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2\\
2 & 1
\end{array}
\right][/itex], so how can I find B if C is squared?

Physics news on Phys.org
theCandyman said:
I know how to solve basic problems like this, but I have no clue where to start with one of the first parts in this example. I am given the following information about C, which is a 2 X 2 matrix.
[tex]C \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right] = \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
2\\
\end{array}
\right] [/tex] and [tex]C^2 \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right] = \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
-1\\
\end{array}
\right] [/tex]

The question asks for 2 X 2 matrices A and B so that CA = B, then solve for C.

My problem is finding what the B matrix is. A is [tex]\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2\\
2 & 1
\end{array}
\right][/tex], so how can I find B if C is squared?
SOLUTION HINTS:
From the problem statement, we have:

[tex] 1: \ \ \ \ C \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right] \ = \ \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
2\\
\end{array}
\right] [/tex]

[tex] 2: \ \ \ \ C^2 \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right] \ = \ C \cdot C \cdot \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right]
\ = \ \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
-1\\
\end{array}
\right] [/tex]

Thus, the following is also known from Eq #2 (together with Eq #1):

[tex] 3: \ \ \ \ \color{red} C \cdot \color{blue} \left ( C \cdot \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right] \right ) \ = \ \color{red} C \cdot \color{blue} \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
2\\
\end{array}
\right] \ = \ \color{red} \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
-1\\
\end{array}
\right] [/tex]

Hence, from Eq #1 & #3, we can now write:

[tex] 4: \ \ \ \ C \cdot \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2\\
2 & 1
\end{array}
\right] \ = \ \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
2 & -1\\
1 & 1
\end{array} \right ] [/tex]

Solve for "C" by finding the INVERSE of the matrix shown below and multiplying both sides of the last equation (Eq #4) from the RIGHT:

[tex] 5: \ \ \ \ \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2\\
2 & 1
\end{array}
\right] [/tex]

~~

Last edited:

To solve this problem, we need to first understand the properties of matrix multiplication. In general, matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning that AB is not always equal to BA. However, it is associative, meaning that (AB)C = A(BC). This means that we can rearrange the order of the matrices in a multiplication problem as long as we maintain the order of operations.

In this problem, we are given the information about C and asked to find matrices A and B so that CA = B. We know that C is a 2x2 matrix and we are given the results of multiplying C by itself (C^2). This means that C is a square matrix and we can use the associative property to rearrange the order of the matrices in the multiplication problem. So instead of finding B, we can find A and then use the associative property to find B.

To find A, we can use the given information that C multiplied by the column vector [1,2] equals [2,1]. This means that the first column of A must be [1,2] and the second column must be [2,1]. Therefore, A is \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2\\
2 & 1
\end{array}
\right].

Now, to find B, we can use the associative property to rearrange the order of the matrices. Since we know that CA = B, we can also say that C^2A = CB. We are given the result of C^2 multiplied by the column vector [1,2], which is [-1,1]. This means that the first column of B must be [-1,1] and the second column must be [1,-1]. Therefore, B is \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 1\\
1 & -1
\end{array}
\right].

Finally, to solve for C, we can use the associative property again to rearrange the order of the matrices. Since we know that CA = B, we can also say that CAA^{-1} = BA^{-1}. We know that A is invertible because it has a non-zero determinant, so we can find its inverse. The inverse of A is \frac{1}{3} \left[
\begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 2\\
2 & -

Related to Matrix multiplication problem.

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices to produce a new matrix. It is an important concept in linear algebra and is used in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.

2. How do you multiply matrices?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, multiply each element in the first row of the first matrix by each element in the first column of the second matrix, and add the products together to get the first element of the resulting matrix. Repeat this process for each element in the resulting matrix.

3. What is the result of matrix multiplication?

The result of matrix multiplication is a new matrix that has the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. The elements in the resulting matrix are calculated using the dot product of the corresponding rows and columns from the two original matrices.

4. Why is matrix multiplication important?

Matrix multiplication is important because it allows us to represent and solve systems of linear equations, which have many real-world applications. It is also used in computer graphics, data compression, and machine learning algorithms.

5. Are there any rules for matrix multiplication?

Yes, there are several rules for matrix multiplication, including the commutative property (AB ≠ BA), the distributive property (A(B+C) = AB + AC), and the associative property ((AB)C = A(BC)). It is also important to note that the order of multiplication matters, as matrix multiplication is not commutative.