Matrix maybe it can go in precalc section ?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the jth column of A + B is equal to aj + bj, where A and B are matrices of the same size. The conversation goes on to explain how this can be shown using matrices and the definitions of A+B and aj + bj. There is also a brief discussion about the validity of the proof and a clarification of some TeX code.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Let A and B be matrices of the same size.
a.) prove the jth column of ## A + B## is ## a_j + b_j ##

Homework Equations

Where is i? In their question?

The Attempt at a Solution

What if you did this.

##
A=
\begin{pmatrix}
a_{1j}\\
a_{2j}\\
a_{3j}
\end{pmatrix}
##

B = ##
\begin{pmatrix}
b_{1j}\\
b_{2j}\\
b_{3j}
\end{pmatrix}
##

A+B = ##
\begin{pmatrix}
a_{1j} + b_{1j}\\
a_{2j} + b_{2j}\\
a_{3j} + b_{3j}
\end{pmatrix}
##

But I still have i and they say prove that it is aj + bj
I hope that code is right for the matrix when I preview it is would not show. EDIT Why does my code not work ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, the question assumed that since the jth column of A + B was sought, it was naturally implied the index i would range from 1 ... n, where n is the number of rows in A and B.

What is IMO. Am I correct or no?

Is this proof meant to be done with a computer program, or is it just a proof? If it's just a proof, it's not clear what is being sought here, there's a definition for adding matrices, and the syntax aj means all values (all rows) in column j of the matrix A, and bj means all values in column j of B. You do not need to define an "i", unless you're trying to create a program, depending on the programming language.

In a language called APL, indexes for a multi-dimension array are separated by ';', and an empty field means all of the indexes for that dimension. So in APL, aj => A[ ; j ], and bj => B[ ; j ], no "i" needed. For example:

pf3.jpg

Last edited:
No program just what the question says prove that Let A and B be matrices of the same size.
a.) prove the jth column of A+B is aj+bj

So I just put them in matrices and added them to show that yeah it is aj + bj ...I mean idk that is what the question said exactly

Jbreezy said:
No program just what the question says prove that Let A and B be matrices of the same size.
a.) prove the jth column of A+B is aj+bj

So I just put them in matrices and added them to show that yeah it is aj + bj ...
I'm not sure what constitutes "proof" since the statement is true based on the definitions of A+B and aj + bj.

rcgldr said:
I'm not sure what constitutes "proof" since the statement is true based on the definitions of A+B and aj + bj.

Yeah I'm not sure I guess they wanted you to carry out the operation? I suppose.

Jbreezy said:
EDIT Why does my code not work ?
I fixed it for you. The problem was that a_i_j isn't valid TeX code. a_{ij} is valid, and that's what I assumed you wanted. If you wanted the j lower than the i you would need to use a_{i_j}.

Oh thanks. It threw me off because I just copied and pasted the code from the "How to type maths equations" thing at the top of the forum. Thanks

IMO = in my opinion

Related to Matrix maybe it can go in precalc section ?

1. What is the Matrix in precalc?

The Matrix in precalc refers to the mathematical concept of a rectangular array of numbers or variables. It is commonly used to represent systems of equations and transformations in linear algebra.

2. How is the Matrix used in precalc?

In precalc, the Matrix is used to solve systems of equations, perform operations such as addition and multiplication, and represent transformations in linear algebra. It is also used in advanced topics such as calculus and statistics.

3. Why is it important to learn about the Matrix in precalc?

Learning about the Matrix in precalc is important because it is a fundamental concept in linear algebra, which is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Matrix?

The Matrix has many real-life applications, including computer graphics, data analysis, cryptography, and optimization problems in various industries. It is also used in the development of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms.

5. Is the Matrix difficult to understand in precalc?

The Matrix may seem daunting at first, but with practice and a solid understanding of precalc concepts such as algebra and geometry, it can be easily understood. It is important to approach it step by step and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.