Matrix Cancellation Property: Conditions for Equality of Matrices A and B

• Thread starter matematikawan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, if C has a pseudoinverse (a function that returns the inverse of a matrix), then AC will be unique.
matematikawan
Let A,B be mxn matrices and C be nxk matrix. What is the necessary or sufficient condition such that AC=BC implies A=B ?

In my work, A and B are m by m matrices and C is just a column vector m by 1. In this specialized case, what are the condition imposed on the elements of C such that AC=BC will implies A=B.

Any clue please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi matematikawan :smile:

you could start by simplifying AC=BC :wink:

I'm still not clear what to do.
Let say, I change C to X=(x1 ... xm)t not a zero vector.

AX = BX so CX = 0 where C=A-B = (cij).
I want C to be zero m by m matrix so that A=B.

I have these equations.
[tex]c_{11}x_1 +c_{12}x_2 + ... +c_{1m}x_m = 0[/tex]
[tex]c_{21}x_1 +c_{22}x_2 + ... +c_{2m}x_m = 0[/tex]

etc.

How do I conclude that all cij are zero ?

Last edited:
Probably my question about cancellation doesn't make sense. I will be satisfied also if I able to express A in term of B and C.

AC = BC

What is A in term of B and C? Remember C is a column vector. So there is no inverse for C.

hi matematikawan! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

no, C isn't a column vector, it's a quite general matrix …
matematikawan said:
Let A,B be mxn matrices and C be nxk matrix. What is the necessary or sufficient condition such that AC=BC implies A=B ?

my suggestion is that you rearrange "AC=BC implies A=B"

to "(A-B)C = 0 implies A-B = 0" …

which, since A and B are completely general, is the same as "AC = 0 implies A = 0"

under what conditions (on m n k and C) will AC only be 0 when A is 0? :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim for the respond.

AC=0
A=0 if C has an inverse. That means C must be a square matrix m by m.

But my problem is that C is a column vector. The size of A, B and C already fix.
Actually I don't know why my question has been moved to the homework forum. I create the question myself. Probably it looks like an exercise in linear algebra.

Actually I'm trying a numerical method to solve pde using 'operational matrix of integration'. While plugging one of the boundary value, I need to solve for A in this equation.
AC=BC
A = ?

Thats why I initially posted the problem at linear algebra forum. Hoping for the answer. Normally I post question at DE forum.

hi matematikawan! :smile:

start with C a non-zero column matrix …

obviously, there are plenty of non-zero A such that AC = 0, so that C doesn't work

now what about C a non-zero two-column matrix …

apart from a square matrix, again that C doesn't work

but as you say it can work for C a square matrix …

so try considering the tall-thin and short-fat categories separately :wink:
matematikawan said:
… Actually I don't know why my question has been moved to the homework forum

i expect it was moved because of the general pf policy that anything that could be homework goes in the homework forums :smile:

tiny-tim said:
so try considering the tall-thin and short-fat categories separately :wink:
... This will take sometime for me to figure out this.

I search the internet and found out something call pseudoinverse.
A*C=B*C
So that A=B*C*pinv(C)

except that the answer is not unique. (to be expected since we have more unknowns than the equations)

Related to Matrix Cancellation Property: Conditions for Equality of Matrices A and B

What is the "Cancellation Property"?

The "Cancellation Property" is a mathematical property that states that when multiplying or dividing the same number to both sides of an equation, the result will still be equal.

How is the "Cancellation Property" used in mathematics?

The "Cancellation Property" is used to simplify equations and solve for unknown variables. It allows us to remove common factors from both sides of an equation, making it easier to solve for the unknown.

Can the "Cancellation Property" be applied to both addition and subtraction?

No, the "Cancellation Property" only applies to multiplication and division. When adding or subtracting the same number to both sides of an equation, the result may not be equal.

What is an example of using the "Cancellation Property" in an equation?

An example of using the "Cancellation Property" can be seen in the equation 5x = 10. By dividing both sides by 5, we can cancel out the common factor of 5 and solve for x, giving us the solution x = 2.

Are there any rules or limitations to using the "Cancellation Property"?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the "Cancellation Property". It cannot be used when the common factor is zero, as dividing by zero is undefined. Additionally, it can only be applied to multiplication and division, not to other mathematical operations.