Matrix Algebra Inverse Matrix Question

In summary: I bet you were told that A^-1 is the unique matrix such that AA^-1 = A^-1A = I. That's all you know about it.In summary, the conversation is discussing a multiple choice question about finding the inverse of (I-A) given that A is an nxn matrix and A^3 = 0. The attempt at a solution involves checking each option, but the correct answer is determined to be E. The solution is then explained using the definition of inverse in matrix algebra.
Lonely Lemon

Homework Statement

If A is an nxn matrix such that A^3 = 0 (the zero matrix) then (I-A)^-1 = ...?

A. not invertible
B. I+A^2
C. I-A
D. I+A
E. I+A+A^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how to work out what the inverse of (I-A) is if I know A^3... how is this even helpful?? It's a multichoice question and apparently the answer is 'E'

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to work it out; you just need to check each one!

If I do that, I get to option C That is (I-A)(I-A)^-1=(I-A)/(I-A)=I which seems correct, but the answer is apparently E. I+A+A^2

*EDIT: Meant I+A+A^2

Last edited:
By definition (I – A) (I – A)^-1 = I, so let C = (I – A)^-1

So C(I – A) = I thus C – CA = I so (C – CA)A^2 = A^2 thus CA^2 – CA^3 = A^2 and since we are given A^3 = 0, we get CA^2 = A^2 and since identity is unique for matrixes, C = I. so C = (I – A)^-1 = I. So (I – A)I = I. So I – A = I. So A = 0.

I could be off on this somewhere, but I’m pretty sure A=0 and your inverse is equal to I. So if this is true B, C,D and E should be solutions. Whereas E is trivial by plugging it in.

Never mind! Click! Just figured out I should have been going (I-A)(I-A)=...

Thanks for the help

Lonely Lemon said:
If I do that, I get to option C That is (I-A)(I-A)^-1=(I-A)/(I-A)=I
Here you seem to imply that (I-A)^-1 = 1/(I-A). What exactly does it mean to divide the number 1 by the difference of the identity matrix and matrix A? Can you divide a number by a matrix?

This illustrates how important it is to live by your definitions in math. How was A^-1 defined in your class, where A is a matrix? I bet the concept of division was never used.

Related to Matrix Algebra Inverse Matrix Question

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables, usually written within brackets. It is used to represent data or perform mathematical operations.

What is matrix algebra?

Matrix algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations and properties of matrices, such as addition, multiplication, and finding inverses.

What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that when multiplied with another matrix, results in the identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s elsewhere). It is denoted as A-1 and is used to "undo" a matrix operation.

How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using Gaussian elimination, the adjugate matrix method, or the Gauss-Jordan method. These methods involve performing row operations on the original matrix to transform it into the identity matrix and keeping track of the row operations performed.

Why is finding the inverse of a matrix useful?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, calculate determinants, and perform other operations that involve matrices. It also allows for efficient and accurate computations in complex mathematical problems.