Matrices trouble, making a,b,c no sol, a unique, and infin solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the conditions on the numbers a, b, and c in order for a given system to have no solution, a unique solution, or an infinite number of solutions. It is mentioned that in order to have at least one solution, the last row cannot be all 0 and must have a non-zero final element. The solution is then obtained by letting -3b-2a+c = 0.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm having troubles understanding if I'm doing this right.
I have the matrix
[tex]\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 2 & {-3} & {-3} & a \\ {-1} & 1 & 2 & b \\ 1 & {-3} & 0 & c \\ \end{array} } \right)[/tex]

I row reduced it to:
[tex]\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 2 & {-3} & {-3} & a \\ 0 & {-1} & 1 & 2b+a \\ 0 & {0} & 0 & {-3b-2a+c} \\ \end{array} } \right)[/tex]

I'm suppose to find, In each case find if possible conditions on the numbers a, b, and c that the given syhstem has no solution, a unique solution, or infintnety many s9lutions. So would i let b = 0, a = 0 and c equal 0 to make it have an infinit many solutions. and then let a, b and c be any number so the expression: -3b-2a+c wil not equal 0, so 0 = 4, no solution. How would i find a unique solution? if the last row is already 0 = -3b-2a+c? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to have at least one solution, the last row cannot by all 0 and a non-zero final element. So in order to have solutions, you have to let [itex]-3b-2a+c = 0[/itex].

Can you take it from here?

Hello, it seems like you are struggling with solving systems of equations using matrices. Don't worry, it can be a bit confusing at first. Let me explain a few things to help you understand better.

First, let's talk about what a matrix is. A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent equations or systems of equations in a more organized way.

Now, let's look at the matrix you provided. This is a 3x4 matrix, meaning it has 3 rows and 4 columns. Each row represents an equation and each column represents a variable. The last column is called the "augmented column" and it includes the constants in the equations.

When we perform row operations on a matrix, we are essentially manipulating the equations to solve for the variables. The goal is to get the matrix into a specific form called "row echelon form" or "reduced row echelon form." In this form, the matrix will tell us if the system of equations has no solution, a unique solution, or infinitely many solutions.

In your example, you have already reduced the matrix to row echelon form. Let's look at the last row: 0 = -3b-2a+c. This means that -3b-2a+c must equal 0 for the system to have a solution. Therefore, the condition for a unique solution is -3b-2a+c = 0. This means that there is only one combination of values for a, b, and c that will satisfy all three equations.

For infinitely many solutions, we need to have a case where the last row is all zeros, like this: 0 = 0. This means that the equation is always true, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. In your example, if we let b = 0, a = 0, and c = 0, the last row will be all zeros. This means that any values for a, b, and c will satisfy the system of equations.

Finally, for no solution, we need to have a case where the last row is in the form of 0 = k, where k is a non-zero constant. This means that the equation is always false, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. In your example, if we let a = 1, b = 2, and c = 3

Related to Matrices trouble, making a,b,c no sol, a unique, and infin solutions

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent a system of linear equations and perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

What does it mean when a matrix has no solution?

If a matrix has no solution, it means that the system of linear equations represented by the matrix is inconsistent. This means that the equations do not have a common solution and cannot be solved simultaneously.

What is the difference between a unique solution and infinite solutions for a matrix?

A unique solution means that there is only one set of values that satisfies the system of linear equations represented by the matrix. On the other hand, infinite solutions means that there are multiple sets of values that satisfy the equations. This can happen when the equations are equivalent or when one equation is a multiple of another.

How can I tell if a matrix will have a unique solution?

A matrix will have a unique solution if it has the same number of equations as variables. This is known as a square matrix. Additionally, the equations must be linearly independent, meaning that they cannot be written as a combination of the other equations.

What can I do if a matrix has no solution or infinite solutions?

If a matrix has no solution, it means that the system of linear equations is inconsistent and cannot be solved. If a matrix has infinite solutions, it means that the equations are dependent and the system is underdetermined. In these cases, adjustments can be made to the equations or additional information can be gathered to find a solution.