Matrices/Systems of Linear Equations

In summary: You can see that my x,y,z are all 1 by back substituting. And yes typing takes a lot of time so I tend to write it on paper.In summary, the problem involved finding the general solution using Gaussian Elimination by row operations. The provided solutions did not match the answer of w=4 that was obtained by the user. After double checking the calculations, it was discovered that the error was due to dividing -10/6 instead of 6/-10 in the operation r3*1/6. Additionally, it was suggested to leave the leading entries as 1 instead of forcing them to be 1, as it can make the solving process easier. The user also mentioned that there may be other errors in
DiamondV

Homework Statement

Find the general solution:
http://puu.sh/ngck4/95470827b1.png

Homework Equations

Method: Gaussian Elimination by row operations.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://puu.sh/ngcml/7722bef842.jpg
I am getting the wrong answer( w = -27/5). The solutions provided to me says the answer is w=4. I double checked my row operation calculations(hence the ticks beside each operation) and I cannot seem to find my error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I am getting the wrong answer( w = -27/5). The solutions provided to me says the answer is w=4. I double checked my row operation calculations(hence the ticks beside each operation) and I cannot seem to find my error.
Why is -10/6 equal to -1/10 in the operation ##r_3*1/6##?

DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It is a real waste of time to force the "diagonal" elements of your reduced form to all = 1; better to just leave them untouched. When I do it I obtain the final form as
[tex]
\begin{array}{rrrr|r}
1 & 1& 1 & 1& 5 \\
0 & -2 &4 & 4 & 10 \\
0 & 0 & -2 & 0 &2\\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1 & -4
\end{array}
[/tex]
This is a triangular system, easily solved in the order ##w, z, y, x##. There is no good reason to divide all of rows 2 and 3 by -2 and row 4 by -1; the divisions can be done during the solution procedure. Of course, if you were taught to do it the way you did, then that is a different story. However, you still have errors somewhere, and I would need to see a typed version in order to take the time needed to find them.

Samy_A said:
Why is -10/6 equal to -1/10 in the operation ##r_3*1/6##?
Ah. I got the right answer. I always make these mistakes in matrices. Its getting really annoying now. Thanks anyways.

Ray Vickson said:
It is a real waste of time to force the "diagonal" elements of your reduced form to all = 1; better to just leave them untouched. When I do it I obtain the final form as
[tex]
\begin{array}{rrrr|r}
1 & 1& 1 & 1& 5 \\
0 & -2 &4 & 4 & 10 \\
0 & 0 & -2 & 0 &2\\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1 & -4
\end{array}
[/tex]
This is a triangular system, easily solved in the order ##w, z, y, x##. There is no good reason to divide all of rows 2 and 3 by -2 and row 4 by -1; the divisions can be done during the solution procedure. Of course, if you were taught to do it the way you did, then that is a different story. However, you still have errors somewhere, and I would need to see a typed version in order to take the time needed to find them.

I was taught to get all the leading entries of each row to 1 before solving it. But I did notice during one of the solutions to one of the questions provided to us, he solved a bit earlier when the leading entries were not 1. He said it was easier to do it now then later which matches up with what you're saying. But when exactly am I allowed to go straight to solving it and not leaving the leading entries as 1?
Also I don't understand where my other errors are? I got all the correct solutions for x,y,z,w using the fact that w=4

Related to Matrices/Systems of Linear Equations

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables, typically denoted by enclosing the numbers within brackets. It is used to represent data or perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices (with the same number of rows and columns), rectangular matrices (with different numbers of rows and columns), and diagonal matrices (where all non-diagonal elements are zero). Other types include identity matrices, zero matrices, and symmetric matrices.

3. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of equations that involve two or more variables and can be solved to find values for those variables. The equations must be linear, meaning that each variable appears with an exponent of 1 and is multiplied by a coefficient.

4. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Substitution involves solving one equation for a variable and substituting that value into the other equation(s). Elimination involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the remaining variable. Graphing involves graphing each equation on the same coordinate plane and finding the point of intersection.

5. What are some real-life applications of matrices and systems of linear equations?

Matrices and systems of linear equations are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, economics, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as calculating the optimal production levels for a company or creating 3D images on a computer screen.