Matrices: lines addition master trick.

In summary, when using Jordan, Gauss-Jordan, and Laplace methods, it is necessary to multiply a line by a constant and add it to another line in order to obtain zeros or an identity matrix. This process can be time-consuming, but there is no shortcut or magic trick. It is important to understand the concept and use tools like computer algebra programs to assist in the process.
MadAtom
In Jordan, Gauss-Jordan and Laplace it's necessary to miltiply a line by a constant, add the result to other line in order to obtain 'zeros' (to facilitate the process while using Laplace) or to obtain a identity matrix (Jordan and Gauss-Jordan).

I take TOO long while doing this and sometimes never acomplish. Is there some magic trick for this, a logic algorithm I should follow or I can only get better with practice?

Physics news on Phys.org
All of the elements in the diagonal of the identity matrix are 1 with all the other elements being zero. So in your initial matrix, in the first row, you would use the first element to make the rest of elements within that first column 0.

Similarly then you go to the second row and use the second element to make the rest of elements in the 2nd column 0.

It is easier to see an example here.

MadAtom said:
In Jordan, Gauss-Jordan and Laplace it's necessary to miltiply a line by a constant, add the result to other line in order to obtain 'zeros' (to facilitate the process while using Laplace) or to obtain a identity matrix (Jordan and Gauss-Jordan).

I take TOO long while doing this and sometimes never acomplish. Is there some magic trick for this, a logic algorithm I should follow or I can only get better with practice?

No, there is no magic trick. It is inherently a tedious and error-prone procedure. What is important is to understand the nature of what you are doing. Once you understand, you could perhaps use a computer algebra program to do it for you.

rock.freak667 said:
All of the elements in the diagonal of the identity matrix are 1 with all the other elements being zero. So in your initial matrix, in the first row, you would use the first element to make the rest of elements within that first column 0.

Similarly then you go to the second row and use the second element to make the rest of elements in the 2nd column 0.

It is easier to see an example here.

Thank you! I didn't notice that before... Very helpful.

Related to Matrices: lines addition master trick.

1. What is the "lines addition master trick" for matrices?

The "lines addition master trick" is a method used to quickly calculate the sum of two or more matrices. It involves adding corresponding entries in each row of the matrices to create a new matrix with the same number of rows and columns as the original matrices.

2. Why is the "lines addition master trick" useful?

This trick is useful because it can significantly reduce the time and effort required to calculate the sum of matrices. It also helps to avoid errors that can occur when adding matrices manually.

3. Can the "lines addition master trick" be used for matrices of any size?

Yes, the trick can be used for matrices of any size as long as they have the same number of rows and columns. It is applicable to square matrices, rectangular matrices, and matrices with different dimensions.

4. Are there any limitations to using the "lines addition master trick"?

One limitation of this trick is that it can only be used for adding matrices. It cannot be used for other operations such as subtraction, multiplication, or division. Additionally, the matrices being added must have the same dimensions.

5. Can the "lines addition master trick" be used for matrices with complex numbers?

Yes, the trick can be used for matrices with complex numbers. The addition process remains the same, where the real and imaginary parts of each entry are added separately.