Matlab - ODE, find roots of the characteristic equation for the natural response

In summary, the student is trying to find the inverse Laplace transform for a problem involving equations and a time constant.
exidez

Homework Statement

I need to use MATLAB to solve these problems.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/exidez/IVDP.jpg

Homework Equations

MATLAB

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

R1=3.6;
R2=R1;
C1=33*10^-6;
C2=22*10^-6;

% defining the polynomial constants
Vs=[R1*R2*C1*C2 (2*R2*C2)+(R1*C1) 1];

'the roots of the equation are';
roots(Vs)

ans =

b) Largest time constant:

numf=1;
denf=Vs;

%Converting to Partial fraction to find the inverse Laplace transform

[r,p,k]=residue(numf,denf)

r =

1.0e+003 *

p =

1.0e+004 *

Transfer function:

[tex]\frac{-5051}{s + 25253} + \frac{5051}{s + 4209}[/tex]

Based on the inverse Laplace of the partial fractions, the eqn then looks like below:

Vo(t) = r(2)*exp(p(2)*t) +r(1)*exp(p(1)*t)

Vo(t) = 5051e^(-4209t)-5051e^(-25253t)

I believe that is my natural response?

c) obtain and plot the natural response function versus time (use the first 1ms) for an initial constant Vs(t=0) = 5V

I have no idea, this is all new to me. The initial constant has me fooled and i don't know how to do it with the roots from part a. Can someone help me out with part c please

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
example:-

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 504
that still doesn't help me much...

so i know the natural response in S domain. I can find the inverse Laplace to find what it is in time domain so i can plot it against t. but the initial constant Vs(t=0) = 5V still confuses me. Also, this doesn't use the root directly obtained in part a!

Do i just modify the graph so it starts at 5V ?

Last edited:
The question seems to ask you to set Vs(t) = 5v.

well this is my understanding of it...

basically i assume a natural response in the form y= Ce^(at)

given the roots:

y= C1e^(-25253t) + C2e^(-4209t)

i am given Vs(0)= 5V

however to solve for the constants C1 and C2 don't i need the value of the derivative of Vs??

Related to Matlab - ODE, find roots of the characteristic equation for the natural response

1. What is Matlab ODE?

Matlab ODE is a built-in function in Matlab that is used for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) numerically. It is commonly used in engineering, mathematics, and science applications.

2. What is the characteristic equation for the natural response in Matlab ODE?

The characteristic equation for the natural response in Matlab ODE is the equation that represents the behavior of a linear system over time. It is used to find the roots of the system, which can provide important information about the system's stability and behavior.

3. How do I find the roots of the characteristic equation in Matlab ODE?

To find the roots of the characteristic equation in Matlab ODE, you can use the built-in function roots(). This function takes in the coefficients of the characteristic equation as inputs and returns the roots of the equation as output.

4. Can I use Matlab ODE to solve non-linear systems?

No, Matlab ODE is designed to solve only linear systems. For non-linear systems, you can use other functions such as ode45() or ode15s() in Matlab.

5. What are the uses of finding roots of the characteristic equation in Matlab ODE?

Finding the roots of the characteristic equation in Matlab ODE can help determine the stability and behavior of a linear system. It can also be used to determine the system's natural response and to design controllers for the system.