Maths required to start differential geometry

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person asking the question has a physics background and has completed relevant maths courses such as calculus, linear algebra, vector calculus, and differential equations. They are looking to start a course in differential geometry but are unsure if they need any additional maths preparation. They are also seeking recommendations for a book on the subject. The expert suggests that the level of preparation needed depends on the specific course and mentions some potential areas of overlap with differential geometry. They recommend the book "Curvature in Mathematics and Physics" by Shlomo Sternberg but note that it may be difficult. They also suggest "Geometrical Methods of Mathematical Physics" by Bernard Schutz as a good starting point for physicists with a quick overview of necessary
dyn
I have a Physics background and have done the relevant maths ie. calculus , linear algebra , vector calculus and differential equations. Do i need any "extra maths" before starting a course in differential geometry ? Any recommendations for a book on the subject that would suit a Physicist ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what you mean by all those words. Some courses are pitched at a level just past calculus, you would have ideal preparation for such a course. Some courses are pitched at a higher level, for which you would want to know more calculus, some topology, some algebra (beyond linear algebra), and know a little bit about manifolds. Does "physics background" mean you have done much with general relativity, differential forms, symplectic geometry, or tensor calculus? As you probably know there is some overlap between those areas and differential geometry.

A book that might be of some interest is Curvature in Mathematics and Physics by Shlomo Sternberg though it is not easy

A problem when learning differential geometry is that many books are too easy, many books are too hard, and many books are about parts of differential geometry that are not relevant to your goals. It is hard to find one that is just right sometimes.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have done some General Relativity but no topology or analysis or manifolds. I need a book that starts from the absolute basics.

For a physicist, I recommend Bernard Schutz Geometrical Methods of Mathematical Physics. He gives a quick overview of the math that you need at the beginning of the book. It's easy to follow.

dyn said:
Thanks. I have done some General Relativity but no topology or analysis or manifolds. I need a book that starts from the absolute basics.

Are you interested in general relativity, or for elementary particle gauge field theory, or for both.

dyn said:

Doing GR without differential geometry, hmm... I can only think of 3 books (Feynman, Weinberg, Dirac), since differential geometry became what we know today, i.e. after 1950.

Schutz is a good option, Takahara is a good option.

Related to Maths required to start differential geometry

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves, surfaces, and other geometric objects using the techniques of calculus and linear algebra.

2. How is calculus used in differential geometry?

Calculus is used in differential geometry to define and study the curvature of curves and surfaces. It also helps in finding the equations of curves and surfaces and determining their properties.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying differential geometry?

The main prerequisites for studying differential geometry are a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus. Knowledge of topology and abstract algebra may also be helpful.

4. Why is differential geometry important?

Differential geometry has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the geometry of curved spaces, which is essential in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. Can differential geometry be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, differential geometry has numerous applications in real-world problems, such as studying the shape of surfaces in physics and engineering, developing computer graphics algorithms, and analyzing the geometry of curved spaces in general relativity.