MathHelpBoards.com merges with PF

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: It's not just about the MHB-tagged threads. It's also about the vision for PF and following standards. Ultimately I'd expect that the number of threads that talk about dollars as money is a small fraction of the total, and PF should not avoid change just to cater to those threads.
@pbuk we have 2 configs running so this is all a moot point now :smile:

Likes pbuk
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Big news!

MathHelpBoards.com (MHB) has merged with PF! Welcome MHB members!

Lots of dust still, please be patient. (I know some inline equations are not rendering)

Here is what this means for us:
  • MHB math threads have been moved to our relevant math forums using an MHB prefix. A few forums have been dumped into General Math. I'll work on permanent homes for these areas/threads soon!
  • MHB users have either been merged with PF members if emails and usernames match. If not, then duplicate usernames will have a 1 after the MHB username. DM me if you need your MHB username merged with your PF username.
  • We've gained a POTW initiative run by MHB members @anemone and @Euge
  • MathHelpBoards.com will eventually redirect to PF
That is regrettable. I think MHB was a very good forum for its target audience, with high quality facilities for mathematical writing and effective non-intrusive moderation. I would rather have seen MHB exist separately alongside PF.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and I like Serena
S.G. Janssens said:
That is regrettable. I think MHB was a very good forum for its target audience, with high quality facilities for mathematical writing and effective non-intrusive moderation. I would rather have seen MHB exist separately alongside PF.
Personally, I'd also have liked MHB to continue, but I also realize that traffic was too low and an end to it was inevitable. As such I'm happy that PF was willing to take us in and to see our history preserved. I actually think Greg and Jameson did an amazing job there. Thanks Greg and Jameson!

Likes collinsmark, berkeman, Ackbach and 2 others
I'm really happy that MHB could find a home here on PF! I have been a member here since I was in high school (I'm in my 30's now), and it definitely got me into forums and online communities in a way that I don't think I would have otherwise. PF is unique compared to the handful of other math help communities and I think the content will best live on here. I'm also so happy to see some long time MHB members and staff popping in and participating here.

• Love
Likes berkeman, Ackbach, I like Serena and 1 other person
I have not been around much lately, but it took a surprisingly long time for me to find out what MHB means. At first I just thought it was spam. Since it shows up as a thread level instead of A, I or B, do you think it makes sense to add it to the page describing those levels? Would make things much less confusing I think. Just a thought.

jasonRF said:
Since it shows up as a thread level instead of A, I or B, do you think it makes sense to add it to the page describing those levels? Would make things much less confusing I think. Just a thought.
The prefix is only for threads migrated from MHB, and threads in PF are not supposed to use it. Maybe @Greg Bernhardt could do something to restrict/prevent that prefix from being used/showing up?

Likes jasonRF
Wrichik Basu said:
The prefix is only for threads migrated from MHB, and threads in PF are not supposed to use it. Maybe @Greg Bernhardt could do something to restrict/prevent that prefix from being used/showing up?
Won't be a problem moving forward as these were one time prefixes.

Likes jasonRF and Wrichik Basu