Mathematician's Missing Poetry: James Joseph Sylvester

• Thread starter Nyxie
  • Start date
In summary, James Joseph Sylvester was an English mathematician who made fundamental contributions to various areas of mathematics. He was also a passionate lover of poetry, often incorporating quotes from classical works into his mathematical papers. He even published a book, "The Laws of Verse," attempting to codify rules for prosody in poetry. Sylvester's emotional and eccentric nature is evident in his tendency to forget his own theorems and burst into recitations of his own poetry. He is known for having a particularly interesting biography, as do many mathematicians.
Nyxie
I read E.T. Bell's 'Men of Mathematics' and found it interesting that one mathematician therein was a big poetry buff. I looked up his poetry but only found two poems online at all! - 'Kepler's Apostrophe,' and 'Remonstrance.' http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poet/403.html

~~~~~~~
From [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Joseph_Sylvester ]:

James Joseph Sylvester (September 3, 1814 London – March 15, 1897 Oxford) was an English mathematician. He made fundamental contributions to matrix theory, invariant theory, number theory, partition theory and combinatorics. He played a leadership role in American mathematics in the later half of the 19th century as a professor at the Johns Hopkins University and as founder of the American Journal of Mathematics.[...]

One of Sylvester's lifelong passions was for poetry; he read and translated works from the original French, German, Italian, Latin and Greek, and many of his mathematical papers contain illustrative quotes from classical poetry. In 1870, following his early retirement, Sylvester published a book entitled The Laws of Verse in which he attempted to codify a set of laws for prosody in poetry.
~~~~~~~~

If you read about him he was apparently a very emotional and "out-there" kind of guy; he'd sometimes forget theorems he himself discovered and would "unexpectedly burst into orations or recite poetry, often his own" (http://www.robertnowlan.com/pdfs/Sylvester,%20James%20Joseph.pdf).

More on his life: http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~aar/sylv/sylvchap.pdf

Mathematicians have the most interesting biographies of all, somehow. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
>:(
I spent a lot of time on this post! But I know no one was going to answer. Maybe they will now that I've complained.

At least let me know you don't care! Too much poetry reading I suppose.

Why did you expect an answer? Look at your posts, Nyxie. You're dabbling around in all the liberal arts aspects of science - no questions about objects sliding down inclined planes, capacitors with wedge shaped plates or summations of weird series. That's the kind of post that gets answers. You have to get down to specific cases to get results.

I've read critcisms of E. T. Bell's scholarship. It would be interesting to know how much "poetic license" he took in "Men Of Mathematics".

I wonder if old Sylvester was greatly affected by music too.

I ask my professors physics questions, not people here. I talk with graduate students more in-depth about things. Not here. I read physics articles. It's more efficient!

Yeah, and I haven't seen you ask about inclined planes! :
I say stuff here I wouldn't say elsewhere because, yes, it's liberal-artsy. Here too. Lots of ignorance floating around. :wink:
But honestly, this is like a "fun" forum for me. I'm not here to prove myself or be instructed by random people on the internet.
Also, I didn't make any untrue claims based on Bell's book.

It seems like scientists hate anything not science sometimes.

I'm with you on this one, I really enjoy reading about the history and lives of mathematicians and physicists. While I don't have an answer to your question, here is a poem by the late, great, Richard Feynman that I enjoy:

Ages on ages...
before any eyes could see...
year after year...
thunderously pounding the shore as now.
For whom, for what?
...on a dead planet
with no life to entertain.

Never at rest...
tortured by energy...
wasted prodigiously by the sun...
poured into space.
A mite makes the sea roar.

Deep in the sea,
all molecules repeat
the patterns of another
till complex new ones are formed.
They make others like themselves...
and a new dance starts.

Growing in size and complexity...
living things,
masses of atoms,
DNA, protein...
dancing a pattern ever more intricate.

Out of the cradle
onto dry land...
here it is standing...
atoms with consciousness
...matter with curiosity.

Stands at the sea...
wonders at wondering... I...
a universe of atoms...
an atom in the universe.

QuarkCharmer said:
I'm with you on this one, I really enjoy reading about the history and lives of mathematicians and physicists. While I don't have an answer to your question, here is a poem by the late, great, Richard Feynman that I enjoy:
I didn't know Feynman ever wrote poetry, thanks.

Stephen Tashi - Just want to say sorry, if you happen to read this; it's true I haven't made very relevant posts and I'm in no place to bash a forum I barely know. But it just irked me; I haven't posted much at this point.

Nyxie said:
I read E.T. Bell's 'Men of Mathematics' and found it interesting that one mathematician therein was a big poetry buff. I looked up his poetry but only found two poems online at all! - 'Kepler's Apostrophe,' and 'Remonstrance.' http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poet/403.html

~~~~~~~
From [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Joseph_Sylvester ]:

James Joseph Sylvester (September 3, 1814 London – March 15, 1897 Oxford) was an English mathematician. He made fundamental contributions to matrix theory, invariant theory, number theory, partition theory and combinatorics. He played a leadership role in American mathematics in the later half of the 19th century as a professor at the Johns Hopkins University and as founder of the American Journal of Mathematics.[...]

One of Sylvester's lifelong passions was for poetry; he read and translated works from the original French, German, Italian, Latin and Greek, and many of his mathematical papers contain illustrative quotes from classical poetry. In 1870, following his early retirement, Sylvester published a book entitled The Laws of Verse in which he attempted to codify a set of laws for prosody in poetry.
~~~~~~~~

If you read about him he was apparently a very emotional and "out-there" kind of guy; he'd sometimes forget theorems he himself discovered and would "unexpectedly burst into orations or recite poetry, often his own" (http://www.robertnowlan.com/pdfs/Sylvester,%20James%20Joseph.pdf).

More on his life: http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~aar/sylv/sylvchap.pdf

Mathematicians have the most interesting biographies of all, somehow. :biggrin:

Interesting guy. His two poems (in the utoronto link) though, were rather bland.

Last edited by a moderator:
QuarkCharmer said:

Rather bland and contrived too, IMO. Somewhat chauvinistic.

Here's one from a real poet that argues in the other direction;

Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882)

The House of Life: 73. The Choice, III

Think thou and act; to-morrow thou shalt die
Outstretch'd in the sun's warmth upon the shore,
Thou say'st: "Man's measur'd path is all gone o'er:
Up all his years, steeply, with strain and sigh,
Man clomb until he touch'd the truth; and I,
Even I, am he whom it was destin'd for."

How should this be? Art thou then so much more
Than they who sow'd, that thou shouldst reap thereby?

Nay, come up hither. From this wave-wash'd mound
Unto the furthest flood-brim look with me;
Then reach on with thy thought till it be drown'd.
Miles and miles distant though the last line be,
And though thy soul sail leagues and leagues beyond,--
Still, leagues beyond those leagues, there is more sea.

alt said:
Interesting guy. His two poems (in the utoronto link) though, were rather bland.

Hence why the poetry was missing, LOL.

Related to Mathematician's Missing Poetry: James Joseph Sylvester

What is "Mathematician's Missing Poetry: James Joseph Sylvester"?

"Mathematician's Missing Poetry: James Joseph Sylvester" is a collection of poems written by the renowned mathematician James Joseph Sylvester. Sylvester was known for his contributions to mathematics, but many are unaware of his passion for poetry. This collection brings to light his lesser-known talent and provides a unique insight into his life and thoughts.

Why is James Joseph Sylvester's poetry considered "missing"?

Sylvester's poetry was not widely published or recognized during his lifetime. It was only discovered and compiled after his death, leading to the label of "missing" poetry. Additionally, many of his poems were scattered across various publications and sources, making it difficult to access and appreciate his work as a whole.

What themes does James Joseph Sylvester's poetry explore?

Sylvester's poetry covers a range of themes, including love, nature, and mathematics. His poems often contain complex mathematical references and symbolism, reflecting his deep understanding and passion for the subject. He also writes about his personal experiences and emotions, giving readers a glimpse into his personal life and thoughts.

Why is it important to highlight James Joseph Sylvester's poetry?

James Joseph Sylvester's poetry offers a unique perspective on the life and mind of a renowned mathematician. It also sheds light on the intersection of mathematics and art, a topic that is not often explored. By highlighting his poetry, we can gain a deeper understanding of Sylvester as a person and appreciate the beauty and complexity of his work.

Where can one find "Mathematician's Missing Poetry: James Joseph Sylvester"?

"Mathematician's Missing Poetry: James Joseph Sylvester" can be found in various publications and online sources. Some of his poems may also be included in collections of mathematical literature. Additionally, there are specific editions of his poetry that have been compiled and published, making it easier to access and appreciate his work as a whole.