Mathematical Techniques for Solving the Definite Integral Challenge

In summary: From the definition of the Beta function, with $x = 1$ we have... $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} u^{y-1}\ (1-u)^{z-1}\ d u = \frac{\Gamma (y)\ \Gamma (z)}{\Gamma (y + z)}$ Differentiate both sides with respect to $y$ (with $x = 1$), then we have... $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} u^{y-1}\ \ln u\ (1-u)^{z-1}\ d u = \frac{\Gamma (z)}{\Gamma (y + z)}\ \left (\psi (y) -
Saitama
Compute:
$$\int_0^{\pi/2} \tan(x)\ln(\sin(x))\,dx$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[sp]Start by

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \sin^{2x-1}(\phi)\cos^{2y-1}(\phi)\, d\phi = \frac{\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)}{\Gamma(x+y)}$$

Hence we have by differentiation w.r.t to $x$

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \sin^{2x-1}(\phi)\cos^{2y-1}(\phi)\, \log(\sin(\phi)) d\phi = \frac{\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)(\psi_0(x)-\psi_0(x+y))}{\Gamma(x+y)}$$Putting \(\displaystyle x=1\) we have

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \sin(\phi)\cos^{2y-1}(\phi)\, \log(\sin(\phi)) d\phi = \frac{\Gamma(y)(\psi_0(1)-\psi_0(1+y))}{\Gamma(1+y)} = \frac{\psi_0(1)-\psi_0(1+y)}{y}$$

where I used that \(\displaystyle \Gamma (1+z)= z\Gamma(z)\)

Taking the limit as $y \to 0 $ we have

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \tan(\phi) \log(\sin(\phi)) d\phi= -\lim_{y \to 0}\frac{\psi_0(1+y)-\psi_0(1)}{y} = - \psi_1(1)=\frac{-\pi^2}{24}$$

Since \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dz}\psi_0(z)=\psi_1(z)=\sum_{n\geq 1}\frac{1}{(n+z)^2}\)

[/sp]

ZaidAlyafey said:
[sp]Start by

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \sin^{2x-1}(\phi)\cos^{2y-1}(\phi)\, d\phi = \frac{\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)}{\Gamma(x+y)}$$

Hence we have by differentiation w.r.t to $x$

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \sin^{2x-1}(\phi)\cos^{2y-1}(\phi)\, \log(\sin(\phi)) d\phi = \frac{\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)(\psi_0(x)-\psi_0(x+y))}{\Gamma(x+y)}$$Putting \(\displaystyle x=1\) we have

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \sin(\phi)\cos^{2y-1}(\phi)\, \log(\sin(\phi)) d\phi = \frac{\Gamma(y)(\psi_0(1)-\psi_0(1+y))}{\Gamma(1+y)} = \frac{\psi_0(1)-\psi_0(1+y)}{y}$$

where I used that \(\displaystyle \Gamma (1+z)= z\Gamma(z)\)

Taking the limit as $y \to 0 $ we have

$$\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \tan(\phi) \log(\sin(\phi)) d\phi= -\lim_{y \to 0}\frac{\psi_0(1+y)-\psi_0(1)}{y} = - \psi_1(1)=\frac{-\pi^2}{24}$$

Since \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dz}\psi_0(z)=\psi_1(z)=\sum_{n\geq 1}\frac{1}{(n+z)^2}\)

[/sp]

Thanks ZaidAlyafey for your participation, your answer is correct. :)

...but there exists a more elementary and much simpler method, can you figure it out? ;)

Pranav said:
Thanks ZaidAlyafey for your participation, your answer is correct. :)

...but there exists a more elementary and much simpler method, can you figure it out? ;)

I am sure there is but since I noticed your interest in integral and series, I wanted to give you another way of solving the question.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I am sure there is but since I noticed your interest in integral and series, I wanted to give you another way of solving the question.

Thanks but currently, that kind of stuff is way above my level and I wonder if I will ever come across those Beta and Gamma functions. :eek:

Pranav said:
Compute:
$$\int_0^{\pi/2} \tan(x)\ln(\sin(x))\,dx$$

[sp]Proceeding as in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/integrals-natural-logarithm-5286.html

... You can use the identity...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ \ln x\ d x = - \frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}\ (1)$

With the substitution $\sin x = u$ and taking into account (1) the integral becomes...

$\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \tan x\ \ln \sin x\ d x = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{u}{1 - u^{2}}\ \ln u\ d u = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{1} u^{2 n + 1}\ \ln u\ d u = - \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2 n + 2)^{2}} = - \frac{\pi^{2}}{24}\ (2)$ [/sp]

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
[sp]Proceeding as in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/integrals-natural-logarithm-5286.html

... You can use the identity...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ \ln x\ d x = - \frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}\ (1)$

With the substitution $\sin x = u$ and taking into account (1) the integral becomes...

$\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \tan x\ \ln \sin x\ d x = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{u}{1 - u^{2}}\ \ln u\ d u = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{1} u^{2 n + 1}\ \ln u\ d u = - \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2 n + 2)^{2}} = - \frac{\pi^{2}}{24}\ (2)$ [/sp]

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Great! (Yes)

I took a slightly different approach:
Use the substitution $\cos x=u$ to get,
$$\int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(\sqrt{1-u^2})}{u}\,du=-\int_0^1 \frac{1}{2u}\left(\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{u^{2k}}{k}\right)\,du=-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \int_0^1 \frac{u^{2k-1}}{2k}\,du$$
$$=-\frac{1}{4}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2}=-\frac{\zeta(2)}{4}$$

Related to Mathematical Techniques for Solving the Definite Integral Challenge

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It can also be interpreted as the accumulation of infinitesimal changes in a function over a given interval.

What is the purpose of the Definite Integral challenge?

The Definite Integral challenge is designed to test the understanding and application of definite integrals in mathematics. It aims to challenge individuals to solve complex problems involving definite integrals and to improve their problem-solving skills.

What are some common techniques used to solve definite integrals?

Some common techniques used to solve definite integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Other techniques such as partial fraction decomposition and using the properties of definite integrals can also be useful in solving certain integrals.

How is the area under a curve related to definite integrals?

The area under a curve is represented by the definite integral of that curve between two given points. The value of the definite integral gives the exact area under the curve, which can be interpreted as the sum of all the infinitesimal rectangles under the curve.

What are some real-world applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, finding the average value of a function, and calculating the work done by a variable force. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various systems and processes.