Mathematical Modeling Question using a 2-cycle

In summary, mathematical modeling using a 2-cycle refers to the process of using mathematical equations and algorithms to represent and analyze a system that undergoes two repetitive cycles. This approach is commonly used in various fields, including physics, economics, and engineering, to simulate and predict the behavior of complex systems and make informed decisions. By breaking down the system into smaller cycles, this method allows for a more accurate and efficient representation of real-world phenomena. However, it also requires careful consideration of variables and assumptions to ensure the accuracy of the model's predictions. Overall, mathematical modeling using a 2-cycle is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of dynamic systems.
masterred

Homework Statement

a. Use algebra and calculus to find the positive fixed point p(c) (in terms of c) and identify its exact interval of stability.
b. Use algebra and calculus to find the exact interval of stability of this fixed point
c. Use algebra to find the point p1(c), p2(c) of the 2-cycle (in terms of c), and identify its exact interval of stability.
d. Use algebra and calculus to find the exact interval of stability of this 2-cycle.

Homework Equations

fc(x) = 4/x + x/2 - c for 0<c<2.3

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a and solved that 4/x + x/2 - c = x and got -c + sqrt(c^2+8).
For part b I was supposed to take the derivative of 4/x + x/2 - c which I got to be -4/x^2 + 1/2. I was then supposed to replace x with -c+sqrt(c^2+8) and make it into an inequality -1<-4/(-c+sqrt(c^2+8))<1 and solve and I broke it up and found c<1 (not sure if this is correct).
For part c I was supposed to solve 4/(4/x + x/2 -c) + .5(4/x + x/2 -c) = x and I got -12c^2x^2 - 4cx^3 + 64cx + 3x^4 - 16x^2 - 64. I was then supposed to divide x-(-c+sqrt(c^2+8) into that problem via long division and I keep trying but I am never to find the exact solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
masterred said:

Homework Statement

a. Use algebra and calculus to find the positive fixed point p(c) (in terms of c) and identify its exact interval of stability.
b. Use algebra and calculus to find the exact interval of stability of this fixed point
c. Use algebra to find the point p1(c), p2(c) of the 2-cycle (in terms of c), and identify its exact interval of stability.
d. Use algebra and calculus to find the exact interval of stability of this 2-cycle.

Homework Equations

fc(x) = 4/x + x/2 - c for 0<c<2.3

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a and solved that 4/x + x/2 - c = x and got -c + sqrt(c^2+8).

For part b I was supposed to take the derivative of 4/x + x/2 - c which I got to be -4/x^2 + 1/2. I was then supposed to replace x with -c+sqrt(c^2+8) and make it into an inequality -1<-4/(-c+sqrt(c^2+8))<1 and solve and I broke it up and found c<1 (not sure if this is correct).

You can rearrange [tex]\left| -\frac{4}{x^2} + \frac12\right| < 1[/tex] as [tex]|x^2 - 8| < 2x^2[/tex] or [tex]8 -2x^2 < x^2 < 8 + 2x^2.[/tex] Now [itex]x^2 < 8 + 2x^2[/itex] holds for all real [itex]x[/itex], but the other inequality yields [itex]x^2 > \frac83[/itex]. Now setting [itex]x = \sqrt{c^2 + 8} - c[/itex] will yield [tex]
\frac83 + c^2 > c\sqrt{c^2 + 8}[/tex] and as [itex]c[/itex] is positive it is legitimate to conclude that [tex]
\left(\frac83 + c^2\right)^2 > c^2(8 + c^2).[/tex] Now the [itex]c^4[/itex] terms cancel and you have an inequality for [itex]c^2[/itex].

For part c I was supposed to solve 4/(4/x + x/2 -c) + .5(4/x + x/2 -c) = x and I got -12c^2x^2 - 4cx^3 + 64cx + 3x^4 - 16x^2 - 64. I was then supposed to divide x-(-c+sqrt(c^2+8) into that problem via long division and I keep trying but I am never to find the exact solution.

I don't get a term in [itex]x^3[/itex], but the rest of the expression I agree with. This might explain why you can't divide by what should be a known factor.

However multiplying polynomials is much easier than dividing them. I would suggest writing [tex]
3x^4 - (12c^2 +16)x^2 + 64cx - 64 = (3x^2 + Ax + B)(x^2 + 2cx - 8)[/tex] as you know it must factorize in that way. Now multiply out the right hand side and compare coefficients of powers of [itex]x[/itex] to determine [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] in terms of [itex]c[/itex]. Then solve [tex]3x^2 + Ax + B = 0.[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Mathematical Modeling Question using a 2-cycle

1. What is a 2-cycle in mathematical modeling?

A 2-cycle in mathematical modeling is a type of dynamic behavior where a system oscillates or repeats itself every two steps. This means that the system goes through two distinct states before repeating the same pattern.

2. How is a 2-cycle represented in a mathematical model?

A 2-cycle can be represented in a mathematical model using difference equations or differential equations. These equations describe how the system changes over two steps, and can be solved to understand the behavior of the system.

3. What are some real-world examples of 2-cycle behavior?

One example of a 2-cycle in real-world systems is the predator-prey relationship between a fox and a rabbit. The populations of both animals oscillate in a 2-cycle pattern as the foxes hunt and consume the rabbits, causing a decrease in the rabbit population, and then the fox population decreases due to a lack of prey. Another example is the seasonal changes in weather patterns, such as the alternation between summer and winter.

4. How are initial conditions important in a 2-cycle mathematical model?

The initial conditions, or starting values, are crucial in a 2-cycle mathematical model as they determine the behavior of the system. Small changes in initial conditions can result in significantly different outcomes, and understanding the sensitivity of the system to these changes is important in accurately predicting its behavior.

5. What are the benefits of using mathematical modeling to study 2-cycle behavior?

Mathematical modeling allows scientists to simulate and study 2-cycle behavior in a controlled and easily repeatable manner. It also allows for the exploration of different scenarios and variables, providing insight into how the system may behave under different conditions. This information can then be applied to real-world situations to make predictions and inform decision making.