Mathematical induction with a summation in the problem.

In summary: So, we get \displaystyle 2^{k+3}+\text{something}+2\,.That "something" is what we need to get to \displaystyle 2^{k+3}+2\,. What is that "something"?You may have to think a bit to find the answer to this question. Let's put this in terms of the most basic example that we've been working with, and ask the same question. Let's say that k=1. So we want to show that \displaystyle 2^{1+3}+\text{something}+2=2
izic
Hi, I'm currently taking Discrete Mathematics and I'm working on a mathematical induction problem that's a little different than usual because it has a summation in it. What I basically want to know is did I do parts A and C correctly?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i48.tinypic.com/s118q8.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem asks you to prove the statement for n greater or equal to 0, not 1, so you would need to use n=0 for part A. The base case is like your "starting point".For part C, write out all your steps, your equality is basically what you are trying to prove. (start by breaking up the summation into the summation from i=1 to i=k+1 plus the term when i=k+2, because we already know what this summation is equal to by assumptions. So, you'll have to manipulate this to show that it equals (k+1)2^{k+3}+2)

Alright so I broke the summation up into three parts - i=1, i=k+1, and i=k+2 and since I already knew what i=k+1 and i=k+2 was, I plugged those values for it. This is what I have so far but to be honest I'm not sure how to go where from here.

http://i45.tinypic.com/5158xu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this isn't the correct way to break up the summation.

This is what the summation actually means: ##\sum_{i=1}^{k+2} i2^i = (1)(2^1) + (2)(2^2) + ... + (k+1)(2^{k+1}) + (k+2)(2^{k+2})##

So, we can group the first k+1 terms together to get ##\sum_{i=1}^{k+2}i2^i = (\sum_{i=1}^{k+1}i2^i ) + (k+2)(2^{k+2})##

izic: if you post images here, please make sure they are small enough to not distort the view. If you can't make them small enough, then please just link the images. I changed the images to links in your older posts.

Oh so that's what I was missing. But yeah I took what you gave me and I was able to get the Left hand side to look like "(k+1)(k+2)(2^k+3)" which is close to the right hand side "(k+1)(2^k+3)". Did I go about this the right way? All I need to do is cancel (k+2) and the left hand side will finally look like the right hand side.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2cdjsjd.jpg

Last edited:
CornMuffin said:
this isn't the correct way to break up the summation.

This is what the summation actually means: ##\sum_{i=1}^{k+2} i2^i = (1)(2^1) + (2)(2^2) + ... + (k+1)(2^{k+1}) + (k+2)(2^{k+2})##

So, we can group the first k+1 terms together to get ##\sum_{i=1}^{k+2}i2^i = (\sum_{i=1}^{k+1}i2^i ) + (k+2)(2^{k+2})##
See what CornMuffin did?

Then, since we are assuming that [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}i\cdot2^i =k\cdot2^{k+2}+2\ ,[/itex]

we now have that [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+2}i\cdot2^i=\left(k\cdot2^{k+2}+2 \right) +(k+2)(2^{k+2}) \ .[/itex]

Now show that the RHS is equivalent to (k+1)2k+3 + 2

SammyS said:
See what CornMuffin did?

Then, since we are assuming that [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}i\cdot2^i =k\cdot2^{k+2}+2\ ,[/itex]

we now have that [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+2}i\cdot2^i=\left(k\cdot2^{k+2}+2 \right) +(k+2)(2^{k+2}) \ .[/itex]

Now show that the RHS is equivalent to (k+1)2k+3 + 2

First I get, (k * 2^k *2^2 + 2)+ (k+2)(2^k* 2^2).
Then, (2^k * 2)(k+2) +(k+2)(2^k * 2)

Can I factor out one "(2^k * 2)(k+2)" since I have two of them?

Last edited:
izic said:
First I get, (k * 2^k *2^2 + 2)+ (k+2)(2^k* 2^2).
Then, (2^k * 2)(k+2) +(k+2)(2^k * 2)

Can I factor out one "(2^k * 2)(k+2)" since I have two of them?

(k * 2k *22 + 2) ≠ (2k * 2)(k+2) .

Take (k+2)2k22 and distribute the 2k22 through the (k+2). By the way 2k22 is 2k+2 and 2 times that is 2k+3, which you're looking for.

I notice that after distributing it, I get k*(2^(k+2)) + (2^(k+3)) (2^(k+2)*k)

Do you mind explaining how to get these bold parts in the RHS (2^(k+3)+2)(k+1)
from the left hand side which is this k*(2^(k+2))+ (2^(k+3)) (2^(k+2)*k)?

Last edited:
SammyS said:

Take (k+2)2k22 and distribute the 2k22 through the (k+2). By the way 2k22 is 2k+2 and 2 times that is 2k+3, which you're looking for.

izic said:
I notice that after distributing it, I get k*(2^(k+2)) + (2^(k+3)) (2^(k+2)*k)

Do you mind explaining how to get these bold parts in the RHS (2^(k+3)+2)(k+1)
from the left hand side which is this k*(2^(k+2))+ (2^(k+3)) (2^(k+2)*k)?

Distributing as I suggested:

[itex]\displaystyle (k+2)2^{k+2}=k\cdot2^{k+2}+2\cdot2^{k+2}\ .[/itex]

Now, add that to the other terms, [itex]\displaystyle k\cdot2^{k+2}+2\ .[/itex]

izic said:
Added them together but it's equaling the right hand side.

http://i50.tinypic.com/33dfbls.png

That's incorrect...how did you get a 5k?? :confused:

You have,

[tex]2^{k+3} + k\cdot 2^{k+2} + k\cdot 2^{k+2} + 2[/tex]

Try factoring out [itex]2^{k+2}[/itex] of the middle two terms, simplify, and then factor [itex]2^{k+3}[/itex] out of the term you get.

Infinitum said:
That's incorrect...how did you get a 5k?? :confused:

You have,

[tex]2^{k+3} + k\cdot 2^{k+2} + k\cdot 2^{k+2} + 2[/tex]

Try factoring out [itex]2^{k+2}[/itex] of the middle two terms, simplify, and then factor [itex]2^{k+3}[/itex] out of the term you get.

Alright, I tried that but ended up with (k+1)(2^(k+3)) instead of (k+1)(2^(k+3)+2)). How can I get the "+2" part?
http://i49.tinypic.com/25q6g51.png

izic said:
Alright, I tried that but ended up with (k+1)(2^(k+3)) instead of (k+1)(2^(k+3)+2)). How can I get the "+2" part?
http://i49.tinypic.com/25q6g51.png
It's evident that your algebra skills are lacking. You also appear to skip steps.

In sure that the main purpose of this exercise was to give you some practice working with inductive proofs. You gave gotten all bogged down in the algebra, which is really quite basic.

The "+ 2" part never gets combined with anything.

Let's start with [itex]\displaystyle 2^{k+3}+k\cdot2^{k+2}+k\cdot2^{k+2}+2\,,[/itex] which is what you started with in your graphic from last post.

You have a repeated term of [itex]\displaystyle k\cdot2^{k+2}\,.[/itex]

In my opinion, the easiest way to look at this is to recognize this as two of something (added together). So just as

[itex]\displaystyle x+x=2x[/itex]

you have

[itex]\displaystyle k\cdot2^{k+2}+k\cdot2^{k+2}=2\left(k\cdot2^{k+2} \right)\,.[/itex]

Of course, you can look at it as Infinitum suggested and factor out the common factor of [itex]\displaystyle 2^{k+2}\,.[/itex] This will give the same result.

Now, how can you write [itex]\displaystyle 2\left(k\cdot2^{k+2} \right)\,[/itex] in simpler form?

2 times k times "k+2" factors of 2 is the same thing as k times "k+3" factors of 2.

What does that leave us with?

[itex]\displaystyle 2^{k+3}+\underline{\quad\text{ ? }\quad}+2\,.[/itex]

Related to Mathematical induction with a summation in the problem.

What is mathematical induction with a summation in the problem?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to establish the truth of a statement for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the smallest natural number (usually 0 or 1) and then showing that if it is true for any natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number. A summation in the problem means that the statement being proven involves a sum of terms.

How do you use mathematical induction with a summation in the problem?

To use mathematical induction with a summation in the problem, you first establish the base case by showing that the statement is true for the smallest natural number. Then, assuming the statement is true for some natural number n, you use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next natural number, n+1. This establishes the truth of the statement for all natural numbers.

What types of problems can be solved using mathematical induction with a summation?

Mathematical induction with a summation is typically used to prove statements about sums of terms, such as arithmetic or geometric series. It can also be used to prove statements about sequences, divisibility, and inequalities.

What are the steps involved in a proof using mathematical induction with a summation?

The steps involved in a proof using mathematical induction with a summation are:1. Establish the base case by showing that the statement is true for the smallest natural number.2. Assume the statement is true for some natural number n.3. Use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number, n+1.4. Conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction with a summation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction with a summation are:- Forgetting to establish the base case or assuming it is true instead of proving it.- Using the wrong variable or index in the induction step.- Making incorrect assumptions about the statement being proven.- Trying to prove a statement that is not true for all natural numbers.- Making algebraic errors in the induction step.