Mathematical Induction (The inductive step)

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that for all n≥1, 10n - 1 is divisible by 9. The speaker is struggling with the inductive step and is using (10k+1-1)/9=1 as their hypothesis. However, they are not on the right track and need to show that 10k+1-1 is divisible by 9, not equal to 9. The speaker is looking for guidance on how to proceed with their proof.
pavel329
1. I don't understand how to prove this.
for all n≥1, 10n - 1 is divisible by 9.

3. I've done the basis step.
Now I'm on the inductive step.
I'm using (10k+1-1)/9=1.
I don't know where to go from there.
Using algebra just gets me down to 10k+1= 10. And I really don't think that's the answer.
All examples I've seen show me things like 1...2..3..n+1= n(n+1) or something along the lines. They already give me the equation. This one does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pavel329 said:
1. I don't understand how to prove this.
for all n≥1, 10n - 1 is divisible by 9.

3. I've done the basis step.
Now I'm on the inductive step.
I'm using (10k+1-1)/9=1.
This isn't right. You need to show that 10k+1-1 is divisible by 9, not that it is equal to 9. There is a difference. For example, 27 is divisible by 9, but the two numbers aren't equal.
pavel329 said:
I don't know where to go from there.
Using algebra just gets me down to 10k+1= 10. And I really don't think that's the answer.
All examples I've seen show me things like 1...2..3..n+1= n(n+1) or something along the lines. They already give me the equation. This one does not.

What do you have for your induction hypothesis?

Assume that 10k-1 is divisable by 9. Prove that it implies 10k+1-1 is also divisable by 9.

Try to bring 10k+1-1 to such form that it contain 10k-1.
10k+1=10*10k=> 10k+1-1=10*10k-1=10*10k-10+10-1=
10(10k-1)+9.
Can you proceed from here?

ehild

Related to Mathematical Induction (The inductive step)

1. What is the inductive step in mathematical induction?

The inductive step is the second part of the mathematical induction process. It involves using the assumption that the statement is true for some value, and then proving that it is also true for the next value. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all values.

2. How does the inductive step relate to the inductive hypothesis?

The inductive step relies on the inductive hypothesis, which is the assumption that the statement is true for a specific value. Using this hypothesis, the inductive step proves that the statement is also true for the next value. This creates a chain of logic, leading to the proof that the statement is true for all values.

3. What is the importance of the inductive step in mathematical induction?

The inductive step is crucial in mathematical induction as it is the part of the process that allows us to extend the truth of a statement from a specific value to all values. It bridges the gap between the base case and the general case, providing a way to prove the statement for all values.

4. Can the inductive step be skipped in mathematical induction?

No, the inductive step cannot be skipped in mathematical induction. It is a crucial part of the process and is necessary to prove the statement for all values. Skipping the inductive step would result in an incomplete or invalid proof.

5. Are there any common mistakes made in the inductive step of mathematical induction?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that are made in the inductive step of mathematical induction. These include assuming that the statement is true for the next value without properly proving it, using the wrong variable or equation, and making an error in the logic used to prove the statement for all values.