Mathematical Induction: Showing Sums of 3 Consecutive Integers

In summary, on a circular disc with the integers from 1 to 30 arranged in a random order, it is proven that there must be three successive integers whose sum is at least 45. This is shown by considering the sums of three consecutive integers throughout the disc, which must add up to 1395, contradicting the assumption that all sums are less than 45. It can also be shown that there must be three adjacent numbers whose sum is at least 47. In general, for any arrangement of the integers from 1 to n on a circle, there must be r adjacent numbers whose sum is at least 1/2 * r * (n+1).
dwyane wade
On the outside rim of a circular disk the integers from 1 through 30 are painted in
random order. Show that no matter what this order is, there must be three successive
integers whose sum is at least 45.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dwayne wade.

Let the integers be $a_1,a_2,\ldots,a_{30}$ as arranged around the the disc, and let
$$s_1\ =\ a_1+a_2+a_3 \\ s_2\ =\ a_2+a_3+a_4 \\ s_3\ =\ a_3+a_4+a_5 \\ \vdots \\ s_{28}\ =\ a_{28}+a_{29}+a_{30} \\ s_{29}\ =\ a_{29}+a_{30}+a_1 \\ s_{30}\ =\ a_{30}+a_1+a_2.$$
Suppose to the contrary that all the sums are less than 45, i.e. $s_i<45$ for all $i=1,\ldots,30$. Then
$$\sum_{i=1}^{30}s_i\ <\ 30\cdot45\ =\ 1350.$$
But
$$\sum_{i=1}^{30}s_i\ =3(a_1+\cdots+a_{30})\ =\ 3(1+\cdots30)\ =\ 3\cdot\frac{30\cdot31}2\ =\ 1395\ >\ 1350.$$PS: It can be shown that there must be three adjacent numbers on the disc whose sum is at least $47$. In general, if the integers $1,\ldots,n$ are arrange in a circle, in any order, there must be $r$ adjacent ones whose sum is at least $\frac12r(n+1)$.

Last edited:

Related to Mathematical Induction: Showing Sums of 3 Consecutive Integers

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about natural numbers or integers. It involves proving that a statement is true for a base case, typically n=1, and then showing that if the statement is true for some value n, then it must also be true for n+1. This process is repeated until the desired statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers or integers.

2. How is mathematical induction used to show sums of 3 consecutive integers?

To show the sum of 3 consecutive integers using mathematical induction, we first prove that the statement is true for n=1, by substituting n=1 into the formula for the sum of 3 consecutive integers. Then, we assume that the statement is true for some value n, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n+1. This completes the inductive step, and by repeating this process, we can show that the statement is true for all natural numbers or integers.

3. What is the formula for the sum of 3 consecutive integers?

The formula for the sum of 3 consecutive integers starting from n is (n + n+1 + n+2) = 3n + 3. This can also be written as n(n+1)(n+2)/3.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove other types of statements?

Yes, mathematical induction can be used to prove a variety of statements involving natural numbers or integers. It is commonly used to prove properties of sequences, series, and mathematical formulas.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical induction?

While mathematical induction is a powerful proof technique, it is not suitable for proving all types of statements. It can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers or integers, and is not applicable to statements involving real numbers or other mathematical concepts. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for proving certain statements, and alternative proof techniques may be more suitable.