Mathematical Induction Problem: Finding a Formula for a Sequence of Numbers

In summary, the student is struggling with math and is looking for help. The student is trying to find a formula to solve a sequence of numbers, but is having difficulty. The student is trying to find a quadratic function that solves the equation a_n=a_{n-1}+4+(n-2)*3 for n>1. The student is successful in finding the quadratic function and is able to solve the sequence.
heavysoul93

Homework Statement

Okay, so I'm going to be completely honest, I am really bad at math, and I have been struggling the past couple of weeks in my Quantitative Reasoning class. I am so lost. I don't know if it's my teacher's teaching method or what, but nothing is clicking for me at the moment, and none of the tutors at my school have even heard of any of this stuff.

I just need help getting this problem started. It says:
Find a formula for the following sequence of numbers:

Then it asks to prove the formula is correct by mathematical induction. I think I can do the second part, but I have no clue as to how to come up with a formula.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're adding 4,7,10,13,16,19,...
So [itex]a_n=a_{n-1}+4+(n-2)*3[/itex] for n>1

susskind_leon said:

i think [tex]a_n = a_{n-1} + 3(n-1) + 1[/tex] makes for a nicer recursion formula. (the main problem with your formula is that requires integers for a1, a minor point, but important in programming perhaps).

either way, it appears a logical definition for [itex]a_0[/itex] is 0.

susskind_leon said:

In fact, the "second difference" (7- 4, 10- 7, 13- 3, 16- 13, 19- 16) is the constant 3 so all succeeding differences are 0. That tells you that [itex]a_n[/itex] is a quadratic function of n. Let [itex]a_n= An^2+ Bn+ C[/itex]. Then [itex]a_0= C= 1[/itex], [itex]a_1= A+ B+ 1= 5[/itex], and [itex]4A+ 2B+ 1= 12[/itex] Solve [itex]4A+ 2B= 11[/itex] and [itex]A+ B= 4[/itex] for A and B and see if that formula doesn't give the other numbers in the seqeunce.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll see what I can do now with the rest of the problem. If I get stuck I'll post back here. Thanks again.

Related to Mathematical Induction Problem: Finding a Formula for a Sequence of Numbers

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of proving mathematical statements or properties for all natural numbers.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by first proving that a statement or property holds true for the first natural number, then assuming it holds true for some arbitrary natural number k, and finally proving that if it holds true for k, it also holds true for k+1. This allows us to conclude that the statement holds true for all natural numbers.

3. What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

Weak induction, also known as the principle of mathematical induction, involves proving that a statement holds true for the first natural number and then proving that if it holds true for any natural number k, it also holds true for k+1. Strong induction, on the other hand, involves proving that if a statement holds true for all natural numbers up to and including k, then it also holds true for k+1. Strong induction is a more powerful form of induction that can be used when the statement being proven depends on more than just the previous natural number.

4. What are some common uses of mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is commonly used in number theory, combinatorics, and discrete mathematics to prove theorems and properties involving natural numbers, sequences, and recursive functions. It is also used in computer science to prove the correctness of algorithms and data structures.

5. Are there any limitations to mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements about real or complex numbers. Additionally, some statements may require a different approach or additional techniques to be proven, even if they involve natural numbers.