Math puzzle that involve thought process

In summary: There are only a limited amount of aliens, so when you see an alien with more than one finger, it means that there are more than one aliens present.
h0llow
A number of aliens, who have just dropped in from another planet, emerge from the spacecraft .

(i) There is more than one alien
(ii) each alien has the same number of fingers
(iii) each alien has at least one finger on each hand.
(iv) the total number of fingers of all the aliens is between 200 and 300.
(v) if you knew the total number of fingers of all the aliens, you would know how many aliens there are.

how many aliens are there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know but I'm pretty sure they landed on Yellow Pigs Day

Not a bad problem! But you need to add something about one or all of the aliens having more than one hand.

the question doesn't mention anything about how many hands the aliens have

h0llow said:
the question doesn't mention anything about how many hands the aliens have

If doesn't matter. Different aliens can have different numbers of hands, and each alien can have different numbers of fingers on each of their hands, so long as the total number of fingers per alien is the same.

(I got the answer, but I'm not spoling it for everybody else yet!)

So the mentioning of hands is there only to confuse?

And are we supposed to interpret the grammar of (ii) to mean at least two fingers?

Norwegian said:
And are we supposed to interpret the grammar of (ii) to mean at least two fingers?

In British and American english, (ii) means "each alien has ##n## fingers, where ##n \ge 0##".

I think the "each hand" in (iii) implies the number of hands is ##\gt 1## and therefore ##n \gt 1##.

A prime example of a clever problem even though the solution stares you squarely in the face ..

thx for replies, i got the answer..quite easy when u think about it.

arildno said:
A prime example of a clever problem even though the solution stares you squarely in the face ..

Cute hint there!

Related to Math puzzle that involve thought process

1. What is a "math puzzle that involves thought process"?

A math puzzle that involves thought process is a problem or challenge that requires critical thinking and logical reasoning to solve. These puzzles often involve numbers, equations, and patterns, and may require creative thinking to find a solution.

2. Why are math puzzles that involve thought process important?

Math puzzles that involve thought process are important because they help develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and logical reasoning abilities. They also encourage creativity and improve mathematical fluency.

3. What are some examples of math puzzles that involve thought process?

Some examples of math puzzles that involve thought process include Sudoku, brain teasers, logic puzzles, and cryptarithms. These puzzles can range from simple arithmetic problems to complex mathematical concepts.

4. How do you approach solving a math puzzle that involves thought process?

The best way to approach solving a math puzzle that involves thought process is to read the problem carefully and identify any patterns or clues. Then, use critical thinking and logical reasoning to come up with a solution. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Can anyone solve a math puzzle that involves thought process?

Yes, anyone can solve a math puzzle that involves thought process with practice and patience. These puzzles do not require advanced math skills, but rather critical thinking and logical reasoning abilities. With practice, anyone can improve their problem-solving skills and successfully solve these puzzles.