Math/Physics REU type programs in Asia

In summary, the speaker talks about their previous trip to Taiwan, Korea, and Japan for different purposes and expresses their desire to return to Asia with financial support. They also ask for information about summer undergraduate research opportunities in Asia, specifically in China, Taiwan, Korea, or Japan, and mention their interests in math and physics. The speaker later shares a link to an REU program that involves travel to a foreign country for gravity research.
n1person
So last summer I went to Taiwan, Korea, an Japan (to teach english, visit family, and pure tourism respectively), and I really really liked it. I would love to go back with a good excuse (preferably with some sort of financial support). Does anyone know of, or know of a place to look for, summer undergraduate research opportunities in Asia (particularly China, Taiwan, Korea, or Japan)? Although generally speaking my math/physics interests are G.R./Differential Geometry, I would be interested in most things!

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just in case people come across this thread in the future, I found this REU: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/ireu/schedule.html , which involves going to UoF for an orientation and then going off to some foreign country for gravity research.

Related to Math/Physics REU type programs in Asia

1. What is an REU program in Asia?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program in Asia is a summer research program designed for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in math or physics research. These programs are typically hosted by universities in Asia and provide students with the opportunity to work with faculty mentors on research projects.

2. Who is eligible to apply for these programs?

Most REU programs in Asia are open to undergraduate students who are majoring in math or physics. Some programs may also consider students from related fields, such as engineering or computer science. Most programs require applicants to have completed at least their freshman year of college and have a strong academic record.

3. What types of research projects are available in these programs?

The research projects in these programs vary depending on the host university and faculty mentors. However, most programs focus on theoretical or experimental research in areas such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, mathematics, and statistics. Students can often choose their preferred research project based on their interests and background.

4. How long do these programs typically last?

Most REU programs in Asia are 8-10 weeks long, taking place during the summer months. This allows students to fully immerse themselves in the research project while still leaving time for other summer commitments.

5. Are these programs fully funded?

Most REU programs in Asia provide funding for students, including a stipend for living expenses and sometimes even travel costs. However, the specific funding and benefits may vary between programs, so it's important to carefully review each program's details before applying.