Math or Physics for 3d graphics/simulations

In summary: However, a degree in physics may not be as useful as one in computer science if you want to work in the gaming industry.In summary, a math degree has a lot of useful courses like numerical analysis, combinatorics, and discrete math which I'm assuming are useful in all areas of computer science, but I hear a lot about physics majors doing this kind of work which makes me think the higher math isn't that useful. A physics degree may be more useful for someone who wants to work in the gaming industry because it has more applied math and geometry.
malignant
I'm having a hard time figuring out which major, math or physics, would be more suited to do 3d graphics/simulations given a reasonable amount of computer science courses/self study. A math degree has a lot of useful courses like numerical analysis, combinatorics, and discrete math which I'm assuming are useful in all areas of computer science, but I hear a lot about physics majors doing this kind of work which makes me think the higher math isn't that useful.

Any ideas which one lays a better foundation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably wouldn't use much topology or abstract algebra. It isn't the end of the world if you end up taking one or two courses that aren't directly applicable. It is the end of the world if you do what I did and get a whole PhD that isn't applicable. :)

Anyway, my answer is none of the above because you should just study computer science. Just get a math minor or something. Or double major if you have funding/time for that.

homeomorphic said:
Anyway, my answer is none of the above because you should just study computer science. Just get a math minor or something. Or double major if you have funding/time for that.

I second this.

I agree with this but my situation makes that sort of inefficient. I learned a lot of programming on my own so for computer science I would have to go back and take a bunch of courses even though I know most of the material. So I figured I'd make myself stand out a bit by adding in a lot of math or physics (I have a lot of both of these so it would be much shorter if I just picked math or physics).

I'm just having a hard time figuring out which bachelor's degree employers would find most useful/respectable for programming in areas such as graphics/simulations(besides computer science since I would have to spend a substantial amount of extra time and money). I've also spent a lot of my teen years doing game programming for fun, so if anyone has input on which one they think would be more useful/respectable for that, it would be nice to know as well.

Do you even need a degree?

It may make a difference which one interests you more because math will be overkill for the math, most likely, and physics will be overkill for the physics. You probably don't need quantum mechanics or statistical mechanics. I wonder if mechanical engineering could even be a better option. I think most physics for graphics is more like engineering-style classical physics.

Do you know all about algorithms and data structures?

homeomorphic said:
Do you even need a degree?

It may make a difference which one interests you more because math will be overkill for the math, most likely, and physics will be overkill for the physics. You probably don't need quantum mechanics or statistical mechanics. I wonder if mechanical engineering could even be a better option. I think most physics for graphics is more like engineering-style classical physics.

Do you know all about algorithms and data structures?

I've had a course in algorithms and data structures.

And yeah the math required seems to be very applied. I guess a better and more specific question would be if physics would supply enough applied math and geometry to compare with an applied math degree for this particular interest.

As for my personal interest between the two, I like physics more but with math I would have some more room for programming courses I think.

Related to Math or Physics for 3d graphics/simulations

1. What is the importance of math and physics in 3d graphics and simulations?

Math and physics are crucial components in creating realistic and accurate 3d graphics and simulations. They provide the necessary understanding of how objects move and interact with each other, allowing for realistic animations and simulations to be created. Without a strong foundation in math and physics, it would be difficult to accurately portray real-world scenarios in a virtual environment.

2. What mathematical concepts are most commonly used in 3d graphics and simulations?

Some of the most commonly used mathematical concepts in 3d graphics and simulations include linear algebra, calculus, and geometry. These concepts are used to calculate and manipulate objects in 3d space, create smooth animations, and simulate physical forces such as gravity and friction.

3. How do physics principles play a role in creating 3d graphics and simulations?

Physics principles play a crucial role in creating 3d graphics and simulations by simulating the real-world behavior of objects. For example, the laws of motion, such as Newton's laws, are used to calculate the movement of objects in a simulation. Other principles such as conservation of energy and momentum are also used to accurately depict the behavior of objects in a virtual environment.

4. Can 3d graphics and simulations be created without a strong understanding of math and physics?

While it is possible to create basic 3d graphics and simulations without a strong understanding of math and physics, having a solid foundation in these subjects is essential for creating high-quality and realistic visuals. A lack of understanding in these areas may result in inaccurate or unrealistic simulations.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to help with the math and physics aspects of 3d graphics and simulations?

Yes, there are various resources and tools available to help with the math and physics aspects of 3d graphics and simulations. Many software programs used for creating 3d graphics and simulations have built-in tools for performing complex mathematical calculations. Additionally, there are online tutorials, courses, and textbooks available that can provide a deeper understanding of the math and physics principles used in these fields.