Math Methods for Quantum Mechanics (QM) Prerequisites

In summary: Yes, The math physics book !Perhaps it should be mentioned that Kreyszig has also written a very practical math book, namely Advanced Engineering Mathematicswhich is much more comparable to the Hassani book(s).
Jianphys17
Hi, people
I wondered if as prerequisites for QM, the Kreyszig (for func. analysis) and Hassani's book they be suffices ..
Thank you in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how deep you want to go in the mathematical formalism of QM, but Hassani is more than enough to go quite far. I don't know the Kreyszig book.

Likes vanhees71 and noir1993
Jianphys17 said:
Hi, people
I wondered if as prerequisites for QM, the Kreyszig (for func. analysis) and Hassani's book they be suffices ..
Thank you in advance !
Kreyszig's book on functional analysis is very good. Chapters 10 and 11 will serve you well as an introduction to the mathematical underpinnings of QM. Should you choose another title, be sure it contains a good discussion of unbounded operators on Hilbert spaces. I don't know the Hassani book.

Likes dextercioby
Hassani and Kreyszig are very different books, serving very different purposes.

Hassani contains more or less all mathematics that a practical theoretical physicist may need in practical calculations.
Kreyszig is a book specialized in functional analysis, which is not so much needed in practical calculations in physics, but is needed for a mathematically rigorous formulation of quantum mechanics.

There are two kinds of theoretical physicists, those who use mathematics more like engineers and those who use mathematics more like mathematicians. Hassani is for the former kind of physicists, Kreyszig is for the latter.

Likes smodak, vanhees71, noir1993 and 1 other person
Krylov said:
Kreyszig's book on functional analysis is very good. Chapters 10 and 11 will serve you well as an introduction to the mathematical underpinnings of QM. Should you choose another title, be sure it contains a good discussion of unbounded operators on Hilbert spaces. I don't know the Hassani book.

Which book by Hassani are you talking about? He has one on mathematical physics and another one on mathematical methods.

noir1993 said:
Which book by Hassani are you talking about? He has one on mathematical physics and another one on mathematical methods.
I wasn't the one that brought up Hassani, the OP did, so maybe he can answer your question. I do not know his book(s).

Krylov said:
I wasn't the one that brought up Hassani, the OP did, so maybe he can answer your question. I do not know his book(s).

I replied to the wrong comment. My bad!

Jianphys17 said:
Hi, people
Thank you in advance !

So, if your are talking about Hassani's textbook on mathematical physics, it's more than sufficient, not just for quantum mechanics but several other topics as well.

noir1993 said:
I replied to the wrong comment. My bad!
So, if your are talking about Hassani's textbook on mathematical physics, it's more than sufficient, not just for quantum mechanics but several other topics as well.
Yes, The math physics book !

Likes noir1993

Related to Math Methods for Quantum Mechanics (QM) Prerequisites

1. What are the basic mathematical concepts needed for understanding Quantum Mechanics (QM)?

The basic mathematical concepts needed for understanding Quantum Mechanics (QM) include linear algebra, complex numbers, calculus, and differential equations. These concepts are essential for understanding the fundamental principles and equations of QM, such as the Schrödinger equation and wave functions.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to study QM?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is necessary for studying QM. It is recommended to have a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and basic calculus before delving into QM. This will help in grasping the complex mathematical concepts and equations used in QM.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of classical mechanics before learning QM?

While having prior knowledge of classical mechanics can be helpful, it is not a prerequisite for studying QM. However, a basic understanding of classical mechanics concepts like energy, momentum, and forces can aid in understanding some of the fundamental principles of QM.

4. Can I use computer programs or calculators to solve mathematical problems in QM?

Yes, computer programs and calculators can be used to solve mathematical problems in QM. In fact, many complex equations and calculations in QM can only be solved using advanced computer programs. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and equations before relying solely on technology.

5. Are there any specific textbooks or resources recommended for learning the mathematical methods in QM?

There are several textbooks and resources available for learning the mathematical methods in QM. Some popular options include "Mathematical Methods in Quantum Mechanics" by Gerald Teschl, "A Guide to Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Michio Masujima, and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber. It is recommended to consult with your instructor or colleagues for specific recommendations based on your level of mathematical proficiency.