Math knowledge used in theoretical physics

In summary: Numerical methods would be a good skill to have, but you can probably pick that up on your own if you know ODEs.In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which math courses to take in their second year of study. They have already taken Calculus 1 and 2, Linear Algebra 1, 2, and an ODE course. They are considering options such as Abstract Algebra, Differential Geometry, Differential Topology, ODE with theory, and Functional Analysis. Their criteria are that the course should be applicable to their physics courses and should be understandable with their current knowledge. The conversation also mentions the importance of complex analysis, Fourier analysis, PDEs, numerical methods, probability theory, statistics, comb
r4nd0m
Hi,
as usual in September I am deciding which courses to take. I am in the second year of my study and so far I am following the more theoretical path, later maybe with focus on quantum mechanics and quantum information processing.

My question is:
which math courses should I take this year?

In the first year I had Calculus 1 and 2, Linear Algebra 1,2 and some kind of ODE for physicist, which was rather a cookbook-based-course than a serious mathematical course.

For sure I will take calculus 3 and 4.

For the other courses I'm considering these options:

Abstract Algebra
Differential Geometry
Differential Topology
ODE with theory (is it worth it?)
Functional analysis

The criteria are:
1. I should be able to understand the subject (with my current knowledge)
2. it should have some application in physics particullarly in qm or qip

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're serious about the theory then I would say : all of the above.

But in order of preference (i.e. soonest applicability on your physics courses) I would say :

- Functional Analysis
- ODE with theory
- Abstract Algebra
- Differential Geometry
- Differential Topology

Maybe ODE and Algebra could switch places, I'm not certain about that.

I would place differential geometry well above abstract algebra, but that's because of my interest in GR.

I don't remember anything of use for physics in abstract algebra; you just don't get the stuff about group theory there that is of interest in physics.

Is functional analysis beyond what one gets in a QM class really very useful? (I honestly don't know.) But it would be the most relevant to QM.

What about complex analysis, Fourier analysis and PDEs, numerical methods, probability theory, and statistics?

Any DECENT QM course heavily relies on functional analysis.
If you want to learn QFT, you need to know about abstract algebra and representation theory. It's also useful in QM (in theory of anglular momentum for example). Besides, it's cool.

But I agree, you need a good complex analysis course as well.

i think it's a good idea to take on the idea of: do i want to have all the possible tools to express my theory or not? you've got to facilitate whatever you need!

Why in these option threads does everyone always play down ODEs, when they have no experience of any of the courses?

You should also take a course in combinatorics and lie algebras, the more algebra the better.

Daverz said:
What about complex analysis, Fourier analysis and PDEs, numerical methods, probability theory, and statistics?
These seem like 3rd year level courses.

For the first two, you would need functional analysis and odes, respectively.

Probability is second year level, with applied statistics following it in the 3rd.

Related to Math knowledge used in theoretical physics

1. What is the role of math in theoretical physics?

The role of math in theoretical physics is essential. It is used to describe and explain the physical world and its phenomena. Math is used in the form of equations and mathematical models to make predictions and test theories.

2. What specific branches of math are used in theoretical physics?

The specific branches of math used in theoretical physics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, group theory, and topology. These branches are used to represent and manipulate physical quantities and relationships.

3. How does math help us understand the laws of physics?

Math helps us understand the laws of physics by providing a precise and quantitative language to describe and analyze physical phenomena. It allows us to make predictions and test theories, leading to a deeper understanding of the laws governing the natural world.

4. Can someone without advanced math skills still understand theoretical physics?

It is possible to have a basic understanding of theoretical physics without advanced math skills. However, a deeper understanding and ability to apply theoretical physics concepts often requires a strong foundation in math. Many concepts in theoretical physics can be difficult to grasp without a solid understanding of the math behind them.

5. How does the use of math in theoretical physics contribute to advancements in science and technology?

The use of math in theoretical physics has led to many advancements in science and technology. It has helped us understand the fundamental principles of the universe, leading to the development of technologies such as quantum computing, GPS, and medical imaging. Math is also used in engineering and other fields to design and build groundbreaking technologies.