MATH/EC double major, would it be worth it to minor in CS?

In summary: SQL is a powerful tool for managing and analyzing data, and having a strong understanding of it can open up many job opportunities. Additionally, it's always a good idea to have some programming experience, so taking a few more CS classes could be beneficial in the long run. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if the time and cost of getting a minor in CS is worth it for your career goals.
andyroo
Hi everyone! I'm 4 math classes from finishing my math major and 2 econ classes away from finishing my econ major, so pretty happy about that. But, I keep thinking to myself, "CS seems like it would be ridiculously useful if I ever wanted to work as some sort of data analyst or something of that sort for a company." I've taken CS classes before, a few in high school and one here at my university, got a B in the one here at university. I don't enjoy it as much as math but I feel like I just need some time to really become somewhat decent at it. Anyways, the only downside is that I'd be graduating one term late (the fall term after summer in fact, ouch) if I decided to grab a minor in CS. It would also cost an additional $1800 or so as well, which I suppose isn't that bad but it is a factor.

(Also, would a CS minor and math major be sufficient to consider grad school for CS? Sorry if the question is asked often here).

If any of you guys have personal experience or opinion on the matter I'd really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
andyroo said:
Hi everyone! I'm 4 math classes from finishing my math major and 2 econ classes away from finishing my econ major, so pretty happy about that. But, I keep thinking to myself, "CS seems like it would be ridiculously useful if I ever wanted to work as some sort of data analyst or something of that sort for a company." I've taken CS classes before, a few in high school and one here at my university, got a B in the one here at university. I don't enjoy it as much as math but I feel like I just need some time to really become somewhat decent at it. Anyways, the only downside is that I'd be graduating one term late (the fall term after summer in fact, ouch) if I decided to grab a minor in CS. It would also cost an additional $1800 or so as well, which I suppose isn't that bad but it is a factor.

(Also, would a CS minor and math major be sufficient to consider grad school for CS? Sorry if the question is asked often here).

If any of you guys have personal experience or opinion on the matter I'd really appreciate it!

Hey andyroo and welcome to the forums.

In terms of jobs, the stuff you have worked on like projects are going to be more important. You will be technically interviewed anyway, but again actual projects are more important.

The projects can focus on a particular thing and they can be personal pet ones, but again it's this accumulation of real experience however you get it that is important.

I don't know about grad school, but I don't think a few classes alone would prepare you for some kinds of work in CS graduate school. Maybe if you have the right math though, it depends on the program.

If you want to do something like data analysis work, you'd be much better off IMO learning SQL and some programming centred around that than anything else. If you can show enough understanding with that, then I think you'll be in a lot better position for some of these jobs than without it.

The other thing is that if you really hate something, it's not worth trying to do it if you continue to hate it. You might find that later you don't hate it anymore and enjoy it and only you will be able to answer whether this is the case even as a speculative guess in hindsight. The point though is that hating that and continuing to do it will rub off in other ways, and it's a wise thing to avoid those if you can. It's one thing to have to do something to get stuff done, but it's another thing to do something continually where it gets to the point where it changes you into someone that you'd rather not be.

It's going to depend also on your background and whether an employer thinks that you can pick it up quick enough to do what you need to do. Remember that experience has a habit of making learning new things a lot easier, and in some jobs this is an important attribute as opposed to just knowing a lot of stuff.

I'd recommend you look into SQL especially if you want to get into data analysis or a related field.

Related to MATH/EC double major, would it be worth it to minor in CS?

1. Is it beneficial to have a double major in Math and Economics?

Having a double major in Math and Economics can be highly beneficial as it allows you to develop a strong analytical and quantitative skillset, which is highly valued in the job market. This combination of majors can open up opportunities in various fields such as finance, data analysis, and research.

2. What are the advantages of having a minor in Computer Science?

A minor in Computer Science can provide a valuable supplement to a Math/Economics double major. It can help you gain technical skills and knowledge in programming, data structures, and algorithms, which are highly sought after in many industries. It can also give you a competitive edge when applying for jobs that require both mathematical and technical abilities.

3. Will having a minor in CS make me more marketable to employers?

Yes, having a minor in CS can make you more marketable to employers, especially in the highly competitive tech industry. It shows that you have a well-rounded skillset and the ability to apply mathematical concepts in a practical and technical manner. This can make you a desirable candidate for jobs that require both analytical and technical skills.

4. Will a minor in CS be too challenging along with a double major in Math and Economics?

The difficulty of a CS minor will depend on your individual strengths and interests. It is important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills before deciding to pursue a minor in CS alongside a double major in Math and Economics. However, many students successfully complete this combination and find it to be a valuable addition to their academic and professional profile.

5. Are there any specific career paths that would benefit from a Math/Economics double major with a minor in CS?

Yes, there are several career paths that would greatly benefit from this combination of majors and minor. Some examples include financial analysis, data science, market research, and software development. Employers in these fields often seek candidates with a strong background in both mathematics and technology, making this combination highly desirable.