Math Class is Tough - True Phrase from Barbie?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation started with a discussion about a Barbie thread on the forum and how the phrase "Math is Hard" was actually "Math Class is Tough" according to a source. This led to a debate about the character of the person who brought up the topic and some humorous comments were made. Eventually, there was an invitation to a barbecue and discussion about food preferences. The conversation ended with everyone in a good mood and looking forward to the barbecue.
mattmns
Computer science news on Phys.org
PHONEY! SHE'S A GREAT BIG PHONEY! (Family guy reference :P)

Pengwuino said:
PHONEY! SHE'S A GREAT BIG PHONEY! (Family guy reference :P)

Pengwuino, you is going to end up on my bar b.
i bet you taste like chicken

One less PF sister to worry about...

...she is kicked out of the sisterhood...right?

Do you guys really want to start calling me MCIT? I was trying to make it easy on you.

Math Is Hard said:
Do you guys really want to start calling me MCIT? I was trying to make it easy on you.
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

well...mih is easier to pronounce that MCIT...

.but you're a liar...we need a poll "is MIH/MCIT evil or not?"

yomamma said:
well...mih is easier to pronounce that MCIT...

.but you're a liar...we need a poll "is MIH/MCIT evil or not?"

You'll get nowhere with that poll, Bubba. Anyone voting against MIH will have the Sisterhood in their future. :devil: :biggrin:

Besides, MIH is a Texan, and for Texans, things are "hard"!1!1!111 :smile: :smile: :smile:

Jus' kiddin' MIH. HEY! Put that gun down NOW!1!1 Uh oh... Math? :redface: Sweetie? :!) Don't hurt your big sis...

Now look what you guys started. She's just a tad PO'd. You'd better watch your steps. :biggrin:

OK, that's it! THREAD LOCKED!

YEAH!11

IVAN! EVO! MOONBEAR! INTEGRAL? Where ARE those mentors when you need them? Oh, yeah. Ivan's in the shower. :biggrin:

I'll take care of this.

THREAD CLOSED!

Sorry MCIT, I did not realize all the problems this would cause :redface:

Thread Locked!

Tsu said:
You'll get nowhere with that poll, Bubba. Anyone voting against MIH will have the Sisterhood in their future. :devil: :biggrin:

Besides, MIH is a Texan, and for Texans, things are "hard"!1!1!111 :smile: :smile: :smile:

Jus' kiddin' MIH. HEY! Put that gun down NOW!1!1 Uh oh... Math? :redface: Sweetie? :!) Don't hurt your big sis...

Now look what you guys started. She's just a tad PO'd. You'd better watch your steps. :biggrin:

I wish i could understand american humour :biggrin: anyways MIH i have wished you a big box of chocs so you will not be peed off any more, and you are all invited to my bar b, so get Evo to load up the private jet and get yous asses over here, bring Ivan he can be the master bar b quist, oh and remember Evo you may need emergency thrust to take off after the bar b.

Ill bring the mozarella cheese sticks

don't forget the powdered sugar

yomamma said:
don't forget the powdered sugar
oooooooohhhhhh! OUCH!

wolram said:
anyways MIH i have wished you a big box of chocs so you will not be peed off any more, and you are all invited to my bar b, so get Evo to load up the private jet and get yous asses over here, bring Ivan he can be the master bar b quist, oh and remember Evo you may need emergency thrust to take off after the bar b.
Thanks Wollie! I bet that'll be just the thing to cheer up MIH, and we'll all be over for the bar-b. :biggrin:

Now, for those (Tsu :rolleyes:) who were doubting the mentors, if we locked the thread when everyone demanded it, MIH wouldn't have gotten that big box of chocolates (of course we expect she'll share with her sisters...mom said she has to), and we wouldn't have gotten the nice invite to Wollie's bar-b. We just might be wiser than you thought. :approve: (:rolleyes: Ivan...don't admit to anything, no matter how much she tortures you in the shower!)

wolram said:
oh and remember Evo you may need emergency thrust to take off after the bar b.
The Pf Sister's Supersonic RV can handle it. :approve:

There's no way I could be in a bad mood right now. Crab legs were on sale at the market. I'm as full as a tick. And now I find out I've chocs to eat, too? Wheee, doggie! :smile:

Good thing I did two bike rides today!

oh, and I'll bring some more crab legs for Wol's bar b. Fresh corn roasted in the husk would be awesome, too. Will pick some up at the farmer's market.

Math Is Hard said:
There's no way I could be in a bad mood right now. Crab legs were on sale at the market. I'm as full as a tick. And now I find out I've chocs to eat, too? Wheee, doggie! :smile:

Good thing I did two bike rides today!

oh, and I'll bring some more crab legs for Wol's bar b. Fresh corn roasted in the husk would be awesome, too. Will pick some up at the farmer's market.
Sounds great! I'm stuffed full too! I spent the entire weekend at a nutrition symposium (no, I don't study nutrition, I just collaborate with someone who does and got roped into this, but it was interesting anyway, and I know a bunch of the folks from other shared research interests). So, we were listening to all these talks about obesity and high protein vs high fat vs high fiber diets, etc., then ATE (what else do you do after talking about food all day). For the lunch break yesterday, my co-chair got up and said the organizers had arranged for a practical lab experience if everyone would just head down the hall to the right. :smile: (That's where the lunch buffet was set up.) I talked too long with people after the talks though, and wound up in the food deprivation group. :frown: (Never let the hungry grad students get at the front of the line.) But, made up for it at dinner. We had a really great barbecue at the state forest nearby. Then today, when the symposium ended, we had a lab picnic. Stuffed myself again. Then had to take a post-doc candidate out for dinner tonight, so stuffed once more. :rolleyes: Can Wollie postpone the bar-b a few days so I can get my appetite worked up again for all the yummy food he'll be making?

Moonbear said:
Now, for those (Tsu :rolleyes:) who were doubting the mentors, if we locked the thread when everyone demanded it, MIH wouldn't have gotten that big box of chocolates (of course we expect she'll share with her sisters...mom said she has to), and we wouldn't have gotten the nice invite to Wollie's bar-b. We just might be wiser than you thought. :approve: (:rolleyes: Ivan...don't admit to anything, no matter how much she tortures you in the shower!)

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Admit it. There's never a mentor around when you need one. Granted, Ivan REALLY NEEDED that shower, but even when he got out he was in a pissy mood and refused to end this tomfoolery and BS about our MIH. He will pay... :devil: :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Yadda, yadda, yadda. Admit it. There's never a mentor around when you need one. Granted, Ivan REALLY NEEDED that shower, but even when he got out he was in a pissy mood and refused to end this tomfoolery and BS about our MIH. He will pay... :devil: :biggrin:
I still can't figure out what Ivan was doing in the shower. I thought Thursday night was bath night. :confused:

Maybe her reallly is:
Math is EASY

Math Is Hard said:
I still can't figure out what Ivan was doing in the shower. I thought Thursday night was bath night. :confused:

Occasionally I chuck him in there on an off night if he's gotten especially odiferous. :wink: :biggrin:

larkspur said:
oooooooohhhhhh! OUCH!
Oh GEEZE, I am slow!

I kept thinking what pretty flowers larkspur had in her avatar.

Wait...AVATAR? SHE'S GONE GOLD! WOOT!

Another gold PF Sister of the hood! :approve:

Tsu said:
Occasionally I chuck him in there on an off night if he's gotten especially odiferous. :wink: :biggrin:
I thought maybe one of the little skunkettes got him! Did you have many skunk babies running around this year? Or did the deer keep them at bay?

Evo said:
Oh GEEZE, I am slow!

I kept thinking what pretty flowers larkspur had in her avatar.

Wait...AVATAR? SHE'S GONE GOLD! WOOT!

Another gold PF Sister of the hood! :approve:
Indeed! And the avatar is lovely.
I've been remiss. I need to work on the PF New Sister Induction thread. Apologies. I've been stuck on the lyrics for the commencement song. So far I've gotten..

All hail, new sister of PF,
So virtuous and true,
Your beauty shines like (something something),
You wear a size 8 shoe.

Math Is Hard said:
Indeed! And the avatar is lovely.
I've been remiss. I need to work on the PF New Sister Induction thread. Apologies. I've been stuck on the lyrics for the commencement song. So far I've gotten..

So virtuous and true,
You wear a size 8 shoe.

Omg, i will not finish the song :smile: but i am sure there are less sensitive people round here that would:rolleyes:

You want skunks? WE HAVE SKUNKS!

Thanks to Zooby I now know how to keep them out of the office - lights and noise. One had clearly found its way through the cat door one night. We also have one that's been out during the day, which I think Integral said is a bad sign. It must be sick...

Math Is Hard said:
You wear a size 8 shoe.

How 'bout:
Your beauty shines like the guns you blew
You wear a size 8 shoe
(except for our illustrious matriarch Tsu,
who wears a petite size 7 shoe). :biggrin:

Tsu said:
How 'bout:
You wear a size 8 shoe

Enter for the eurovision song contest Tsu, you will win hands down.
there is a monster comming over the hill :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
I've been stuck on the lyrics for the commencement song. So far I've gotten..

So virtuous and true,
You wear a size 8 shoe.
The beauty of the sisters is not something that can easily be put into words. :approve:

Tsu said:
How 'bout:
You wear a size 8 shoe
I think that's beeyooteefulll! :smile: :smile: :smile:

so whatever happened to MCIT being a liar?

Math Is Hard said:
I think that's beeyooteefulll! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Tanx. :biggrin: :biggrin:

<h2>1. Why is Barbie's statement "Math Class is Tough" considered a true phrase?</h2><p>Barbie's statement is considered a true phrase because it reflects the societal stereotype that girls are not as good at math as boys. This stereotype has been perpetuated for many years and has been shown to negatively impact girls' confidence and performance in math.</p><h2>2. Is there any evidence to support Barbie's statement?</h2><p>Yes, there have been numerous studies that have shown a gender gap in math performance, with boys consistently outperforming girls. However, it is important to note that this gap is not due to innate ability, but rather societal factors such as stereotype threat and lack of representation in STEM fields.</p><h2>3. How can we combat the negative impact of Barbie's statement on girls' confidence in math?</h2><p>One way to combat the negative impact is by promoting positive messages about girls and math, and highlighting successful female mathematicians and scientists. Additionally, providing equal opportunities and support for girls in math can help break down the stereotype and boost their confidence.</p><h2>4. Is Barbie's statement still relevant in today's society?</h2><p>Unfortunately, yes. Despite efforts to promote gender equality in education and the workforce, the stereotype that girls are not as good at math as boys still persists. However, there are also many initiatives and movements working towards breaking down this stereotype and promoting gender equality in STEM fields.</p><h2>5. How can we encourage more girls to pursue math and STEM-related fields?</h2><p>We can encourage more girls to pursue math and STEM-related fields by providing equal opportunities and resources, promoting positive messages and role models, and addressing and breaking down the societal stereotypes that discourage girls from pursuing these fields. It is also important to provide support and encouragement to girls who do show an interest and aptitude in math and STEM, and to create a welcoming and inclusive environment in these fields.</p>

Related to Math Class is Tough - True Phrase from Barbie?

1. Why is Barbie's statement "Math Class is Tough" considered a true phrase?

Barbie's statement is considered a true phrase because it reflects the societal stereotype that girls are not as good at math as boys. This stereotype has been perpetuated for many years and has been shown to negatively impact girls' confidence and performance in math.

2. Is there any evidence to support Barbie's statement?

Yes, there have been numerous studies that have shown a gender gap in math performance, with boys consistently outperforming girls. However, it is important to note that this gap is not due to innate ability, but rather societal factors such as stereotype threat and lack of representation in STEM fields.

3. How can we combat the negative impact of Barbie's statement on girls' confidence in math?

One way to combat the negative impact is by promoting positive messages about girls and math, and highlighting successful female mathematicians and scientists. Additionally, providing equal opportunities and support for girls in math can help break down the stereotype and boost their confidence.

4. Is Barbie's statement still relevant in today's society?

Unfortunately, yes. Despite efforts to promote gender equality in education and the workforce, the stereotype that girls are not as good at math as boys still persists. However, there are also many initiatives and movements working towards breaking down this stereotype and promoting gender equality in STEM fields.

5. How can we encourage more girls to pursue math and STEM-related fields?

We can encourage more girls to pursue math and STEM-related fields by providing equal opportunities and resources, promoting positive messages and role models, and addressing and breaking down the societal stereotypes that discourage girls from pursuing these fields. It is also important to provide support and encouragement to girls who do show an interest and aptitude in math and STEM, and to create a welcoming and inclusive environment in these fields.