[Material Science] Metal foam sandwich to prevent buckling?

In summary: It is possible that something denser than air could be used, but I don't know of anything that meets those conditions.Interesting, at 10MPa I would expect CO2 to be liquid with a temperature dependent density somewhere between 0.5 and 1.5, comparable to water.
Pds3.14
Let's assume for a minute that money was of no concern. If one has a 10 MPa external environment and needs to have vacuumed-out spheres (or 1 atmosphere, close enough to call vacuum) inside of that environment.

In particular, I was thinking of a sandwiched lattice of maraging steel, with it's conveniently high 2.6 GPa yield strength as a solid sheet, but its shockingly typical 210 GPa Young's modulus, also as a solid sheet.

The problem is that the wall thickness necessary to make it survive the compressive load is very thin. A sphere a meter in radius need only have something like a 2 mm thick wall to support itself against the intense pressure, as 2.6e9 pascals * 0.002 m * 2 * pi * 1 m / (pi*(1 m)^2)=10.4 MPa. but the wall thickness necessary to prevent it from buckling, given for an (extremely optimistic) ideal spherical object by: 2.1e11 pascals * 2 * 0.002^2 / sqrt(3*(1-0.26^2)) = 1.005 MPa.

So of course, looking at the formula for stiffness, I thought "what if I could make it thicker but keep the same mass of it in order to increase the stiffness independently of the mass?" I.E. I want Pterosaur bones made of rocket-grade steel.

So I suppose my questions are:

#1. Is making a maraging steel (or similar material) foam sandwich within the current state of the art? Is it emerging technology? Is it something speculatively possible in the relatively near future? Or is it totally fanciful magitech?

#2. Would the mass-specific yield strength match that of solid steel? If not, how much weaker would it be for the foam?

#3 Would the mass-specific young's modulus match that of solid steel? If not, how much weaker would it be for the foam?

#4. If it isn't possible or it wouldn't be useful, what are some other ways of preventing a sphere or a tube from buckling without putting cross-bracings all the way through the middle? (stuff belongs in the middle).

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no requirement that there be two layers. You only need ribs cast onto the steel.

The problem is actually related to the application.

If the external pressure is 10MPa, then I guess it is effectively “underwater” and so it will have buoyancy due to the spherical volume. The best place to put the required ballast is probably in the pressure hull. In order to be neutrally buoyant with an external fluid density of 1.0 and a wall density of say 8.1 your wall thickness will need to be a significant portion of the sphere radius. For wall density = 8.1, in water, the wall thickness, if my quick maths is correct r = R * cuberoot(1 – 1/density)?, will be 4.3% of the outer radius. A 1 metre diameter sphere will need a 23 mm wall.

If you need to maintain neutral buoyancy with a thinner wall then you may need to consider a double wall sphere with a cast geodesic net of perforated ribs. Fill the spaces between the ribs with Pb (s.g.=11.3) or Hg (s.g.=13.5). Neither of those ballast elements will halve the solid wall thickness. You will have to watch out for the thermal expansion coefficients.

Baluncore said:
There is no requirement that there be two layers. You only need ribs cast onto the steel.

The problem is actually related to the application.

If the external pressure is 10MPa, then I guess it is effectively “underwater” and so it will have buoyancy due to the spherical volume. The best place to put the required ballast is probably in the pressure hull. In order to be neutrally buoyant with an external fluid density of 1.0 and a wall density of say 8.1 your wall thickness will need to be a significant portion of the sphere radius. For wall density = 8.1, in water, the wall thickness, if my quick maths is correct r = R * cuberoot(1 – 1/density)?, will be 4.3% of the outer radius. A 1 metre diameter sphere will need a 23 mm wall.

If you need to maintain neutral buoyancy with a thinner wall then you may need to consider a double wall sphere with a cast geodesic net of perforated ribs. Fill the spaces between the ribs with Pb (s.g.=11.3) or Hg (s.g.=13.5). Neither of those ballast elements will halve the solid wall thickness. You will have to watch out for the thermal expansion coefficients.
It would be under high pressure, but buoyancy would be largely irrelevant, as the density of the external medium would not be water-like. The stuff inside the sphere would sufficiently weigh it down.

Pds3.14 said:
the external medium would not be water-like.
What material might that be ?

Baluncore said:
What material might that be ?
Highly compressed Carbon Dioxide

Interesting, at 10MPa I would expect CO2 to be liquid with a temperature dependent density somewhere between 0.5 and 1.5, comparable to water.

Related to [Material Science] Metal foam sandwich to prevent buckling?

1. What is metal foam sandwich?

A metal foam sandwich is a type of composite material that consists of two thin sheets of metal with a layer of metal foam in between. The metal foam is typically made of lightweight metals such as aluminum or titanium, and it is filled with small voids or cells that provide structural support.

2. How does metal foam sandwich prevent buckling?

Metal foam sandwich is designed to distribute the load more evenly across the entire surface of the material, which helps to prevent buckling. The metal foam layer acts as a cushion, absorbing and dissipating the applied load, thereby reducing the stresses on the outer metal layers.

3. What are the advantages of using metal foam sandwich for preventing buckling?

Metal foam sandwich offers several advantages for preventing buckling, including its lightweight and high strength-to-weight ratio, which makes it ideal for use in applications where weight is a concern. It also has excellent energy absorption capabilities and can withstand high temperatures, making it suitable for use in harsh environments.

4. What are the limitations of using metal foam sandwich for preventing buckling?

Although metal foam sandwich has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It can be expensive to produce, and the manufacturing process is complex and time-consuming. Additionally, the properties of metal foam sandwich may vary depending on the manufacturing process, making it difficult to achieve consistent results.

5. What are some potential applications of metal foam sandwich for preventing buckling?

Metal foam sandwich has a wide range of potential applications for preventing buckling, including in aerospace, automotive, and construction industries. It can be used in structural components, such as beams and columns, as well as in protective barriers, such as crash barriers or blast shields.