Masters in Physics and Astronomy with a BA in English

In summary, the individual is a career switcher looking to pursue a master's degree in astrophysics despite having an undergraduate degree in English with limited science credits. They are currently taking science and physics classes at a community college and are wondering about the difficulty of this path without a bachelor's degree. It is noted that there are few schools that offer a terminal master's degree in physics or astrophysics and that the community college courses may not fully prepare them for graduate school. However, with dedication and independent studying, it is still possible. Taking the physics GRE can help determine their preparedness for graduate studies.
Interestingfeet
I am a career switcher who is extremely interested in getting a masters astrophysics. I have an undergraduate in English with very few science credits (I took 8 units of geology). I am currently enrolled in community college taking as many science and physics classes as I can. Does anyone know how difficult a path this is to follow without a BS? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have asked for this to be moved to Academic guidance :)

thank you

In order to determine how prepared you are for graduate school, take the physics GRE. Here is an old test: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/greStuff/exam_GR8677.pdf

If you do well on it, you are probably prepared for graduate school.

Well, for one there are very few schools that offer a terminal masters degree in physics or astrophysics. Most schools only take physics grad students into PhD programs.

Unfortunately the science and math classes available at a community college aren't really sufficient to prepare one for graduate school in physics. The courses that one would take in an undergraduate physics degree are the prerequisites for the graduate level courses. It's often possible for someone in a similar field like engineering, chemistry, or mathematics to move into graduate studies in physics, but English is about as far away from astrophysics as it can get. With a lot of dedication and independent studying, it's possible. But it will be difficult.

Everyone will fail those classes without the bachelor classes. Even if some school allows it, don't do it.

I would not be optimistic, but the Physics GRE will tell you where you stand, as mentioned above.

Related to Masters in Physics and Astronomy with a BA in English

1. What is the difference between a Masters in Physics and Astronomy and a BA in English?

A Masters in Physics and Astronomy is a graduate degree in the field of science that focuses on advanced concepts and research in physics and astronomy. On the other hand, a BA in English is an undergraduate degree in the field of humanities that focuses on language, literature, and writing. The two degrees have different subject areas and career paths.

2. Can I pursue a Masters in Physics and Astronomy with a BA in English?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Physics and Astronomy with a BA in English. Many graduate programs do not have specific undergraduate degree requirements, as long as the applicant has a strong academic background and meets other admission criteria.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Physics and Astronomy and a BA in English?

Career opportunities for individuals with a Masters in Physics and Astronomy and a BA in English may vary. Those with a Masters degree in Physics and Astronomy can pursue careers in research, academia, or industry, while those with a BA in English can pursue careers in writing, editing, publishing, or teaching. However, having a background in both fields can make an individual well-rounded and open up unique career opportunities in science communication, science writing, or technical writing.

4. What skills can I gain from pursuing a Masters in Physics and Astronomy and a BA in English?

Pursuing a Masters in Physics and Astronomy can provide individuals with advanced knowledge and skills in mathematical and scientific concepts, critical thinking, problem-solving, and research. On the other hand, pursuing a BA in English can provide individuals with skills in communication, writing, analysis, and interpretation. Combining these two degrees can provide individuals with a diverse set of skills that can be useful in various fields and industries.

5. Is a Masters in Physics and Astronomy with a BA in English a challenging program?

Yes, pursuing a Masters in Physics and Astronomy with a BA in English can be a challenging program. It requires a strong foundation in both fields and the ability to integrate and apply concepts from both disciplines. However, it can also be a rewarding and fulfilling experience for those who have a passion for both science and language.