Masters in EE to a PHD in Physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of pursuing a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering and then a PhD in Physics, or vice versa. The individual is interested in specializing in Electrophysics or Device Fabrication for their MS in EE, and Theoretical Physics or Plasma Physics for their PhD. However, it is advised against going the PhD to MS route and instead suggests considering graduate work in applied physics.
Alkayus
Good afternoon everyone. I have done a little forum searching, and have not been able to find an answer to my question. I am currently pursuing my B.S. in Physics and am trying to plan out my future a little bit more. I truly love Physics, it is my passion, but I have also come to really love Engineering, in particular EE. I was wondering if it is possible to go to graduate school and get an M.S. in EE and then to move on to a PhD in Physics? Or would it make more sense (and is it possible) to get the PhD in Physics first, then go back to get a M.S. in EE? In EE in particular, the field I would be most interested in, as copied from UVa graduate EE site, would be, "Electrophysics (superconducting devices, device theory and modeling, novel electronic devices)", or "Device Fabrication (MBE, novel materials, lithography, nano-fabrication, electron and ion beam processes, and nano-structures)." As for PhD, I would probably either like to specialize in either Theoretical Physics, or something like Plasma Physics. Career wise, or if that is impossible as a personal path, I am highly interested in research and experimentation. I have considered Engineering Physics (Applied Physics), but I think I would like to get more specialization in each area instead of condensed together. I do apologize if this question comes off as pretty dumb or misguided, and I thank anyone for their help and insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
As usual it is a matter of whether or not your MS in EE coursework would convince an admissions committee that you are prepared. Going the PhD to MS route is not advisable. It's a step backwards.

Why not some graduate work in applied physics? Doing a PhD and then a masters might not even be possible (at least funding-wise) in some places. I am totally sure that you can find a place where research on the topics you mentioned is done in applied physics departments.

Related to Masters in EE to a PHD in Physics?

1. What is the difference between a Masters in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Physics?

A Masters in Electrical Engineering focuses on the practical application of electricity and electronics, while a PhD in Physics delves deeper into the fundamental laws and principles governing the universe.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics with a background in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to transition from a Masters in Electrical Engineering to a PhD in Physics. However, you may need to take additional courses to build a strong foundation in physics.

3. How long does it take to complete a Masters in EE to a PhD in Physics?

The length of time varies depending on the individual's academic background and their chosen research topic. On average, it can take 4-5 years to complete a Masters in EE and an additional 3-4 years for a PhD in Physics.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Masters in EE and a PhD in Physics?

Having both degrees can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, engineering, and technology. You can work in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, renewable energy, or even pursue a career in data science or artificial intelligence.

5. Is a PhD in Physics a necessary step for someone with a Masters in EE?

No, a PhD in Physics is not a necessary step for someone with a Masters in EE. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia in the field of physics, a PhD may be necessary. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.