Mastering the Chain Rule with Fractions for Calculus Students

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the person is trying to differentiate a function using the chain rule, but is having difficulty because they are unfamiliar with fractions in the chain rule. They try something and it works, but they are not sure why the derivative is squared. They eventually figure out that the u in the function is squared when there is a power of at the bottom of the fraction.
TheAkuma
Okay, I know how to differentiate regular functions. But when it comes to fractions, I'm hopeless. This may be an extremely simple one to some, here is the function; "1/4x-7"
I have to differentiate that using the chain rule.

I think that u=4x-7, but I am not sure. As i said, I am horrible when it comes to fractions in the chain rule.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheAkuma said:
Okay, I know how to differentiate regular functions. But when it comes to fractions, I'm hopeless. This may be an extremely simple one to some, here is the function; "1/4x-7"
I have to differentiate that using the chain rule.

I think that u=4x-7, but I am not sure. As i said, I am horrible when it comes to fractions in the chain rule.
First, what exactly is your function? Is it (1/4)x- 7 or 1/(4x)- 7 or 1/(4x- 7)?

Since you say "I think that u=4x-7", I assume it is 1/(4x- 7). As for what "u" is, that's your choice. TRY something and see if it works. If you choose u= 4x- 7 then 1/(4x-7)= 1/u= u-1. Can you differentiate that? And you certainly ought to be able to differentiate u= 4x-7 (the derivative of a linear function is just its slope). Finally, the chain rule says
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
First, what exactly is your function? Is it (1/4)x- 7 or 1/(4x)- 7 or 1/(4x- 7)?

Since you say "I think that u=4x-7", I assume it is 1/(4x- 7). As for what "u" is, that's your choice. TRY something and see if it works. If you choose u= 4x- 7 then 1/(4x-7)= 1/u= u-1. Can you differentiate that? And you certainly ought to be able to differentiate u= 4x-7 (the derivative of a linear function is just its slope). Finally, the chain rule says
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex].

well the function is actually 1/4x-7. there is no brackets so i naturally assumed u=4x-7. I get it how the answer is -4/(4x-7)2 but why is it squared? i was thinking 1/u X -4 where u=4x-7. What I want to know now is why is the u squared?

Ohh! when there is a power of at the bottom of the fraction, does it go up? like from to the power of one it'll go up to the power of 2?

I'm guessing that your function is written in your text or worksheet like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{4x - 7}[/tex]

When you write it on a single line, you have to put parentheses around the terms in the denominator. IOW, like this: 1/(4x - 7).

The way you wrote it, without parentheses, would be interpreted like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{4} x - 7[/tex]

BTW, why did you post this under Precalculus Mathematics? This is obviously a calculus problem.

TheAkuma said:
Ohh! when there is a power of at the bottom of the fraction, does it go up? like from to the power of one it'll go up to the power of 2?
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}= x^{-2}[/tex] and the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex] where n is any number [As GibZ pointed out- any number except -1!]. If n= -2 what does that give you?

(You could also do that problem using the "quotient rule": the derivative of u(x)/v(x)= (u'v- uv')/v2. If u=1 and v= x2, what does that give you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
I'm guessing that your function is written in your text or worksheet like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{4x - 7}[/tex]

When you write it on a single line, you have to put parentheses around the terms in the denominator. IOW, like this: 1/(4x - 7).

The way you wrote it, without parentheses, would be interpreted like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{4} x - 7[/tex]

BTW, why did you post this under Precalculus Mathematics? This is obviously a calculus problem.

Well my teacher told me that this is sort of like the introduction to calculus.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}= x^{-2}[/tex] and the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex] where n is any number. If n= -2 what does that give you?

Careful! Not if n=0 !. =]

TheAkuma: Introduction or not, please post under the calculus section. If helps the homework helpers out if they know what kind of things to expect to help people with.

Related to Mastering the Chain Rule with Fractions for Calculus Students

What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It allows us to find the rate of change of a function within another function.

How does the Chain Rule work?

The Chain Rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, we take the derivative of the outer function and substitute the inner function as the variable, then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

Can the Chain Rule be used with fractions?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be used with fractions. The same rule applies, we just need to remember to use the quotient rule when taking the derivative of the inner function.

When should the Chain Rule be used?

The Chain Rule should be used when finding the derivative of a composite function, where the function is composed of two or more functions. It is a useful tool in calculus and is often used to solve optimization problems.

Is the Chain Rule always necessary?

No, the Chain Rule is not always necessary. It is only needed when finding the derivative of a composite function. If the function is a simple polynomial or trigonometric function, the derivative can be found using basic rules of differentiation.