Mastering MATH2405: Tips for Success from a Determined 2nd Year Student

• Thread starter achacttn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation discusses the poster's background and experience in mathematics, as well as their concerns about taking a 2nd year math course without having taken the necessary prerequisites. It is suggested that single variable calculus and linear algebra are important for success in the course, and the poster is advised to speak with their professor about their concerns. The conversation also includes a discussion about the poster's current enrollment in the course without fulfilling the prerequisites, and they plan to focus on single variable calculus and linear algebra in order to catch up.
achacttn
Hello, I am new to this forum. I'm sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post.

I am doing a 2nd year math course where I learn about ordinary differential equations and vector calculus. Quick overview of learning objectives for this course can be found here http://studyat.anu.edu.au/courses/MATH2405;details.html)

My background is that I am a 1st year math/physics undergrad student, last year I took a gap year, so I graduated high school in 2010 but haven't taken a math class since 2009. The math that I have learned up to is basically a standard high school math education (Full syllabus can be found here for those that want to compare with the MATH2405 http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=756)

What do I need to know in order to do well in MATH2405? My other courses are relatively easy, so I can spend most of my time on this. I was told to look at 18.01 (Single Variable Calculus), 18.02 (Multivariable Calculus) and 18.06 (Linear Algebra) from the MIT OCW lectures, but I was wondering if there were other/better resources that would also be useful.

Also, I feel like I gain confidence by spamming problems (and confirming that I get them correct). Are there any places where there are a lot of math problems with answers?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Single variable calculus is usually a prerequisite for ordinary differential equations and multivariable calculus is usually a prerequisite for vector calculus.

Is there any way that you can drop the course and take calculus instead?

No, but I feel like I can pick it up relatively quickly.

Do I not need to know linear algebra for O.D.E. and V.C.?

it sounds like you are in the wrong classes. the simple answer is to take those prerequisites instead.

I don't know if this is pertinent, but at my university, Vector Calculus and Multivariable Calculus were the same course. Differentiable Calculus was called Calculus I, Integral Calculus was called Calculus II, and the aforementioned course was Calculus III. I learned vectors in my Physics and Engineering courses long before I took Calc III, however, so it really wasn't a big deal. I haven't taken any Tensor Calculus or anything, though, so I don't feign omniscience when it comes to vectors.

I mentioned this so you know you can learn Vector Calculus and Multivariable Calculus simultaneously.

since as mentioned there are many different names for the same courses, as well as many ways to teach a class thaT AFFECT THE PREREQUIsites needed, this question should be asked of your professor.

achacttn said:
No, but I feel like I can pick it up relatively quickly.

Do I not need to know linear algebra for O.D.E. and V.C.?

It's possible that you could pick up the material, but it'd be much easier after you learn single variable calculus. In fact, most schools require single variable calculus as a prerequisite for differential equations and multivariable calculus must be taken concurrently. Linear algebra is usually not a requirement, but a general idea of matrices and determinants would be useful.

achacttn said:
What do I need to know in order to do well in MATH2405? My other courses are relatively easy, so I can spend most of my time on this. I was told to look at 18.01 (Single Variable Calculus), 18.02 (Multivariable Calculus) and 18.06 (Linear Algebra) from the MIT OCW lectures, but I was wondering if there were other/better resources that would also be useful.

How the @&#$ did that happen?! As somebody who has done A-Level Maths (under CIE), I think that what you're doing is...insane. A-Level Maths just does not prepare you for that that kind of advanced work, especially if the last time you saw any math was in 2009!

Have you done the prerequisites? Judging from your initial post, where you're asking about intro courses, I doubt it. If you have, ignore what I just said.
http://studyat.anu.edu.au/courses/MATH1115;details.html and the course that comes after it.

There is a prereqisite of Math 1116 listed, and following that link shows that course has a prerequisite of Math 1115. If you haven't taken those courses, I don't even know why you were allowed to register for the one you're in.

For those wondering how I enrolled in this course without taking the pre-requisites, my program that I am currently in is not a BSc, and the course co-ordinator gives permission codes for people that want to do courses which usually require a pre-req. My other classes are standard 1st year classes, so I think I can focus the majority of my time for this math one.

Thanks for all the responses. Multivariable calculus is indeed taught at the same time as differential eq / vector calc, so I'll watch those last (probably at the same time as doing through the actual course material). For now, I think I will need to do single variable and linear algebra.

Related to Mastering MATH2405: Tips for Success from a Determined 2nd Year Student

What is "Completely lost but determined" about?

"Completely lost but determined" is a phrase that describes the feeling of being unsure or uncertain about a situation, but still having the motivation and drive to persevere and succeed.

How can someone be both lost and determined?

Being lost and determined can refer to a person's emotional state. They may be unsure of their path or direction, but still have a strong determination to keep moving forward and find their way.

What inspired the post "Completely lost but determined"?

The post may have been inspired by personal experiences or observations of others who have faced challenges and obstacles but refused to give up.

Is "Completely lost but determined" a common feeling?

Yes, many people can relate to the feeling of being lost but determined. It is a common experience when faced with difficult situations or when pursuing goals and dreams.

How can someone stay determined when feeling lost?

One way to stay determined when feeling lost is to remind oneself of their goals and the reasons why they are pursuing them. Seeking support from others and breaking down the task or situation into smaller, manageable steps can also help maintain determination.