Mastering Integration: Strategies for Solving Tricky Equations

• Thread starter kring_c14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation is about integrating the equation \int sint cosnt dt and the use of identities to simplify the process. The speaker initially tries using an identity 1/2 [sin(t-nt) + sin (t-nt)] but gets stuck and then tries another identity sin (t^{+}_{-}nt )= sintcosnt^{+}_{-}costsinnt. However, this only leads to the original equation. The expert summarizer suggests using the identity sin(t + nt) = sin[(n + 1)t] to easily integrate the equation. The speaker apologizes for their mistake and thanks the expert for their help.
kring_c14
integration--im lost

Homework Statement

how do you integrate this one

[tex]\int sint cosnt dt[/tex]i tried using this identity 1/2 [sin(t-nt) + sin (t-nt)]

then i got stuck so i used another identity again
sin (t[tex]^{+}_{-}nt [/tex])= sintcosnt[tex]^{+}_{-}[/tex]costsinnt

the result is the original equation..

to sum it all, I am hopelessly stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
uhmmm hi! i don't really know what to do...and blood is dripping out of my nose! waaaah! *dramatic*

A sure fire way that doesn't take a lot of brains is to use identities like cos(x)=(exp(ix)-exp(-ix))/2 (deMoivre). You can convert the whole thing to exponentials and they are easy.

kring_c14 said:

Homework Statement

how do you integrate this one

[tex]\int sint cosnt dt[/tex]

i tried using this identity 1/2 [sin(t-nt) + sin (t-nt)]

Well, this identity doesn't look right to me.

then i got stuck so i used another identity again
sin (t[tex]^{+}_{-}nt [/tex])= sintcosnt[tex]^{+}_{-}[/tex]costsinnt

the result is the original equation..

to sum it all, I am hopelessly stuck

Nope, you don't need to expand it. It'll give you the original expression. Hint: Can you simplify: t - nt, and t + nt?

kring_c14 said:

Homework Statement

i tried using this identity 1/2 [sin(t-nt) + sin (t-nt)]

1/2 [sin(t+nt) + sin (t-nt)]--->sorry, got it wrong..this ones correct

VietDao29 said:
Nope, you don't need to expand it. It'll give you the original expression. Hint: Can you simplify: t - nt, and t + nt?

that gives me t[tex]^{2}[/tex]-n[tex]^{2}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]

but where would i plug this equation

im really not that good at manipulating equation..havent learned trigonometry at heart

kring_c14 said:
that gives me t[tex]^{2}[/tex]-n[tex]^{2}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]

but where would i plug this equation

im really not that good at manipulating equation..havent learned trigonometry at heart

Ack. >"< No, that's not correct at all.

Well, it's not that hard. We have:

sin(t + nt) = sin[(n + 1)t]. Which can be easily integrated. Simple, eh? :)

You can do the same to the other one. Can you go from here? :)

aw sorrryyy, lol...just being my dumb self again..shame on me.. lol
thank you very much!

Related to Mastering Integration: Strategies for Solving Tricky Equations

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it is used to solve problems involving rates of change, accumulation, and optimization.

2. Why is mastering integration important?

Mastering integration is important because it is a fundamental skill in calculus and is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It allows for the solving of complex equations and helps to understand the behavior of functions.

3. What are some common strategies for solving tricky integration equations?

Some common strategies for solving tricky integration equations include using substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with different integration techniques.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating equations include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using incorrect limits of integration, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check the answer for accuracy.

5. How can I improve my skills in mastering integration?

Improving skills in mastering integration can be done through practice and repetition. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind integration, as well as being familiar with various techniques and when to use them. Seeking help from a tutor or attending a workshop can also be beneficial.