Mastering Forces on an Inclined Plane: Final Exam Question Help

• Thread starter paigegail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Final
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with studying for their final exam, specifically with finding forces of objects on an inclined plane. They are struggling with a specific question and need help finding the acceleration of a crate on a ramp at a 22 degree angle. They are given two scenarios, one with no friction and one with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.0. They also need help resolving the force of gravity into its components parallel and perpendicular to the inclined surface.
paigegail
Final Exam Question Help!

HELP!
I need extra help. I'm studying for my Final Exam which is tomorrow and I cannot remember how to find forces of objects on an inclined plane. The question I'm having troubles with is:
A 12.5 kg crate is placed on a ramp that is at an angle of 22 degrees from the horizontal. Find the acceleration of the crate would be down the ramp:
a) in the absence of friction (answer 3.67 m/s-squared down slope)
b) if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.0 (0.95 m/s-squared down slope)
Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve g into its component || and Perp to the inclined surface

u will have gsin(theta) & gcos(theta) along || and perp to inclined surface respectively

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with forces on an inclined plane. Don't worry, I'm here to help! Let's break down the problem and go through the steps to find the acceleration of the crate.

First, we need to draw a diagram to visualize the situation. Draw a ramp at a 22 degree angle from the horizontal, with a crate weighing 12.5 kg on top of it. We can label the angle as θ and the weight of the crate as mg.

Next, we need to identify the forces acting on the crate. In this case, we have the weight of the crate (mg) acting downwards, perpendicular to the surface of the ramp. We also have the normal force (N) acting upwards, perpendicular to the surface of the ramp. Finally, we have the force of friction (f) acting parallel to the surface of the ramp, in the opposite direction of motion.

Now, we can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to find the acceleration of the crate. Since we are given the mass of the crate, we can substitute that into the formula: F=ma. We also know that the only forces acting on the crate in the horizontal direction are the force of friction and the component of the weight that is parallel to the ramp.

For part a) where there is no friction, the formula would look like this: ma=mg*sinθ. We can rearrange this to solve for acceleration (a= g*sinθ). Plugging in the values (g=9.8 m/s^2 and θ=22 degrees), we get an acceleration of 3.67 m/s^2 down the slope.

For part b) where the coefficient of kinetic friction is given, the formula would look like this: ma=mg*sinθ-fk. We can solve for acceleration by dividing both sides by m (a= g*sinθ-fk/m). Plugging in the values (g=9.8 m/s^2, θ=22 degrees, m=12.5 kg, and fk=0.95), we get an acceleration of 0.95 m/s^2 down the slope.

I hope this helps you with your final exam preparation! Remember to always draw a diagram, identify the forces, and use the appropriate formula to solve for acceleration. Good luck on your exam tomorrow!

Related to Mastering Forces on an Inclined Plane: Final Exam Question Help

What is a final exam question?

A final exam question is a type of question that is given to students at the end of a course or class to assess their understanding and knowledge of the subject matter.

How can I study for a final exam?

To prepare for a final exam, it is important to review all of the material covered throughout the course and make sure you understand key concepts and information. You can also create study guides, practice questions, and participate in study groups to help you prepare.

What should I do if I am struggling with a final exam question?

If you are struggling with a final exam question, take a deep breath and read the question carefully. Make sure you understand what is being asked and use any notes or resources provided by your professor. If you are still having trouble, ask for help from your professor or a tutor.

Are there any strategies for answering final exam questions?

Yes, there are several strategies for answering final exam questions. Some helpful tips include reading the question carefully, managing your time effectively, and using keywords in your answers. It is also important to provide supporting evidence and examples to strengthen your responses.

Is it possible to retake a final exam?

This depends on the policies of your specific institution. In some cases, students may be able to retake a final exam if they did not pass the first time. It is important to check with your professor or academic advisor for more information on retaking a final exam.