Mastering Calculus: Tips for Success from a High School Math Prodigy

• Thread starter jimmyly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the individual is considering self-teaching calculus and is seeking advice on whether to review pre-calculus material or move straight to calculus. They are comfortable with graphs, trigonometry, logarithms, and exponentials but not as confident in permutations, combinations, and probability. They have various resources, including MIT OpenCourseWare, for studying calculus and are open to recommendations for additional textbooks. They also ask about the importance of mastering algebra-based physics before starting calculus-based physics. The responder suggests focusing on developing strong calculus skills and reassures that being a master of calculus will make the introductory physics courses easier. They also mention the benefits of studying algebra-based physics for developing a proper mindset.
jimmyly
Hello all, I'm wondering if I should start self-teaching calculus. I got 95% in math 12 but I am not sure if I should review the material or move on to calculus. I will be in first year in September so I want to make sure I'm ready or best case I want to be ahead. I've read a lot of posts here saying to master algebra first or at least be comfortable with the material before jumping into calculus. The only thing I'm not as comfortable with is permutations and combinations, also probability. I am very comfortable with graphs, trig, logs &exponentials. Will there be a review of all of these concepts when I take Cal I and II? Should I review everything before starting calculus? btw I am going to be going through the MIT open courseware Calculus I over the next few months, I also have Calculus made easy - Thompson, and Quick Calculus - Kleppner for references. Anymore recommendations? ( if there are any other helpful/"must have" calculus textbooks I'm open to suggestions )

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmyly said:
I am very comfortable with graphs, trig, logs &exponentials
Thanks in advance!

You should be set. You won't really see any statistics in a basic three-semester Calculus course. (Not that brushing up on your statistics isn't very important). You could always visit a place like Khanacademy to see if you are up to par with the algebra and pre-calculus material. It really depends on how your university handles the pre-calc to calc transition.

Many people will suggest Spivak's "Calculus" as a great book, but I found it a bit too intimidating at first. Later, I used that book for a course on Analysis! The typical Calc books that a university would use are things like Stewart.

To add to that: It never hurts to work ahead. Following the opencourseware Calculus series is a great idea. Don't rely on khanacademy too much to teach you Calculus though, I found their videos after pre-calc to contain a bit less information than they should.

QuarkCharmer said:
You should be set. You won't really see any statistics in a basic three-semester Calculus course. (Not that brushing up on your statistics isn't very important). You could always visit a place like Khanacademy to see if you are up to par with the algebra and pre-calculus material. It really depends on how your university handles the pre-calc to calc transition.

Many people will suggest Spivak's "Calculus" as a great book, but I found it a bit too intimidating at first. Later, I used that book for a course on Analysis! The typical Calc books that a university would use are things like Stewart.

To add to that: It never hurts to work ahead. Following the opencourseware Calculus series is a great idea. Don't rely on khanacademy too much to teach you Calculus though, I found their videos after pre-calc to contain a bit less information than they should.

Hello, Thanks for the response. I also have stewart on e-book as well!

Also, I didn't want to make a different post, is it optimal to master algebra based physics before starting calculus based physics? I can't find a good algebra physics book that isn't just plug and chug like gioncoli. Don't get me wrong, I like the practice in it, I just want something that will help me develop conceptually because my math and problem solving isn't a big problem. Thanks again!

jimmyly said:
Hello, Thanks for the response. I also have stewart on e-book as well!

Also, I didn't want to make a different post, is it optimal to master algebra based physics before starting calculus based physics? I can't find a good algebra physics book that isn't just plug and chug like gioncoli. Don't get me wrong, I like the practice in it, I just want something that will help me develop conceptually because my math and problem solving isn't a big problem. Thanks again!

I'm sure Algebra-based physics is important to some degree, but it's usually just a more generalized form of it's calculus-based counterpart. I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you are a master of calculus, the first two intro physics courses with calc at a university level will be no problem for you. Focus on developing abilities with calculus. I didn't even take non-calc physics at all, but after my first semester of calc-physics I could solve any problem from such texts with ease.

edit: I should mention that I think that algebra-based physics is a fairly good way to get students into the proper mindset. Teach them about units and the "proportionality statement" that often goes hand in hand with every physics law ever. To some this is obvious, but I can see how it might benefit others. So don't take my post as a discredit.

Last edited:

I would first like to congratulate you on your strong performance in math 12 and your interest in self-teaching calculus. It is always beneficial to have a solid understanding of algebra before diving into calculus, as it serves as the foundation for many concepts in calculus. However, it seems like you have a good grasp on the necessary algebraic concepts.

In terms of reviewing material before starting calculus, it is always a good idea to have a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts before moving on to more complex topics. This will not only help you in your understanding of calculus, but also in your future studies as a scientist. I would recommend reviewing the concepts of permutations and combinations, as well as probability, as they are important in many applications of calculus.

Additionally, I would suggest exploring other resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations to supplement your learning. As for textbooks, the ones you have mentioned are great resources. I would also recommend "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "The Calculus Lifesaver" by Adrian Banner.

Lastly, I would like to remind you that mastering calculus takes time and effort, so don't be discouraged if you face challenges along the way. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and I am confident that you will excel in calculus. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Mastering Calculus: Tips for Success from a High School Math Prodigy

1. What is the best way to approach learning calculus?

The best way to approach learning calculus is to start with the fundamentals and build a strong foundation. This means understanding algebra, trigonometry, and pre-calculus concepts before diving into calculus. It's also important to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in calculus?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in calculus is to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify the key concepts and apply the appropriate formulas and techniques. It's also helpful to review and practice previous problems to reinforce your understanding.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid in calculus include mixing up formulas, not simplifying expressions, and forgetting to consider the limits of a problem. It's also important to double-check your work and make sure you understand the concepts behind the calculations.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning calculus?

One way to stay motivated while learning calculus is to set specific goals and track your progress. This can help you see how far you've come and give you a sense of accomplishment. It's also helpful to find a study group or study partner to keep you accountable and provide support.

5. Are there any useful resources for mastering calculus?

Yes, there are many useful resources for mastering calculus, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and review books. It's also helpful to attend extra help sessions or seek help from teachers or tutors. Additionally, there are many online communities and forums where you can ask questions and get support from other students and experts.