Master Thesis Topic: GR & Statistical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a master student looking for a topic for their master thesis in Statistical Mechanics, with a focus on General Relativity, Cosmology, or Particle Physics. They have been struggling to find a topic and have considered studying phase transitions and spontaneous symmetry breaking, but are unsure if it is a feasible topic. The conversation also touches on the application of Statistical Mechanics in astrophysics and early universe cosmology, and a possible connection between the Einstein field equations and the second law of thermodynamics. The student asks for any resources or examples that could help them gain a better understanding of these topics.
iorfus
Hello!
I am a master student, and I am about to start working on my master thesis, which, in my counrty, is a substantial work of 6 months which usually involves original research.

I will be supervised by two professors of Statistical Mechanics, who have many research interest. In these days, we have to start talking about the topic of my thesis.

I would like to be able to propose them a topic which is connected to General Relativity or Cosmology, or even Particle Physics. I have read around the Internet but I have not been able to find something which I could really propose as a topic.

I had thoug about something like Statistical Mechanics- Phase transitions- Spontaneous symmetry breaking, but I am not able to find, say, a review to become enough knowledgeable to talk to my professors.

I continue to read that Statistical Mechanics is very often used in General Relativity and Cosmology, but I cannot see precisely why.

Can please anyhone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I seem to recall that phase transitions are a very hard problem in stat mech. Or maybe it is one particular kind of phase transition? I seem to recall there is an anecdote where Feynman gave a talk on his work in stat mech and finished by saying the only thing he was confused about was how to express phase transitions. (Maybe of this one particular kind.) And the famous guy from stat mech stands up and says that nobody can do it.

So what I'm saying is, be sure you are not promising to bring home the Holy Grail for your master's thesis.

Stat mech will apply to things like equations of state for matter in stars. This will contribute to stellar evolution, from formation to final life in either collapse or explosion. For large enough stars you will find GR is important enough to include it in calculations of stellar evolution.It will apply in things like understanding neutron stars and other things like that, once more requiring GR. Possibly you will need stat mech to understand things like the life of a gas nebula, especially one that is very hot from a nearby super nova or some such thing. It will apply in things like early universe cosmology, again a condition where GR is important.

I see, thanks very much.
Yes, I am sure (as I was already) I am not goint to make a scientific discovery in my master thesis!

It seems to me that the first examples you gave me are in the domain of Astrophysics.
Whereas, you also talked about early universe cosmology.
Can you give me some examples about that? Or also some link, paper, review ... anything which may help me have a decent idea about that.

My knowledge of early universe cosmology is seldom and few. It is little more than my reading of the book _The First Three Minutes_ by Weinberg.

iorfus said:
I continue to read that Statistical Mechanics is very often used in General Relativity and Cosmology, but I cannot see precisely why.

Can please anyhone help me?
Thanks in advance!
I'm not aware that SM is used in GR but apparently the Einstein field equations are a restatement of the second law of thermodynamics.

See
Gravity: the inside story
T. Padmanabhan
Gen Relativ Gravit (2008) 40:2031–2036
DOI 10.1007/s10714-008-0669-6

It is available in pdf form.

Thanks anyway, DEvens :-)

Thank you very much, Mentz114, I am going to take a look at it!

Related to Master Thesis Topic: GR & Statistical Mechanics

1. What is GR and how does it relate to statistical mechanics?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. It describes how massive objects interact with each other in the presence of space and time. Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles. The connection between GR and statistical mechanics lies in the fact that both theories deal with the fundamental laws of nature at different scales.

2. Why is the combination of GR and statistical mechanics important for a Master's thesis topic?

The combination of GR and statistical mechanics is important because it allows us to explore the behavior of systems at the smallest and largest scales. By combining these two theories, we can gain a deeper understanding of how the universe works and how different physical phenomena are connected.

3. What are some potential research topics within the field of GR and statistical mechanics?

Some potential research topics could include investigating the effects of gravity on the behavior of particles in a statistical mechanical system, exploring the implications of GR on the formation and evolution of galaxies, or studying the relationship between black holes and entropy in the context of statistical mechanics.

4. What are some challenges associated with studying GR and statistical mechanics?

One challenge is that both theories are highly complex and require advanced mathematical and analytical skills to fully understand. Another challenge is that the combination of these two theories is still an area of active research, so there may be limited existing literature and resources available.

5. How can studying GR and statistical mechanics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying GR and statistical mechanics can contribute to our understanding of the universe by providing insights into the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy. This can help us better understand the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as the behavior of various astrophysical phenomena such as black holes and dark matter.