Master Naturalist, Ancestral Technologist, and Guerilla Engineer

• Thread starter KWolf12
  • Start date
In summary, a Master Naturalist is a trained individual who promotes the preservation and sustainability of the natural world, while an Ancestral Technologist utilizes traditional techniques to solve modern problems, and a Guerilla Engineer uses unconventional methods to design solutions. These roles intersect in their common goal of promoting sustainability and their diverse knowledge and techniques. Incorporating them into scientific research and practices can lead to more holistic, efficient, and socially responsible outcomes.
KWolf12
How did you find PF?
I was chasing links down rabbit holes with the goal of setting up the most self-regulating aquarium for my itinerant frog, pet leeches, and the herds of copopods and freshwater shrimps. I ran into this forum, and it looks nifty.
Hello, Folks.

My degree is in biology, but after that, I've been constantly educating myself about everything that interests me. Most of those interests are related entirely to the non-human components of the world; fungi, plants, protists, animals, nutrient cycling and soil-building. I'm active in a group that works to re-wild our local city park, and I forage for wild foods there. An associated hobby is to recreate the technology of ancestral humans by making things such as fire-drills and coracles, learning how to make leather and strong rope, and so on.

My understanding of physics is fairly basic: thankfully, my one college physics class was in-depth enough to open doors to all the other knowledge that interests me most. How an oak hollowed out by mushrooms stands a better chance of standing tall for a long time because it's become a hollow cylinder; how to balance compression and tension in one of the random things I build; how my new bullfrog's tongue uses elastic energy-storage to shoot out at prey at a speed greater than what could be accomplished by muscle-action alone. FUN stuff!

I'm short on money, but long on time; and I'd recommend that state of being to anyone who can hit the right balance of it, because it let's me pursue new curiosities all the time. What makes a brain happier than pursuing the questions of genuine curiosity?

This is Nim, a day-old turtle who was part of a research project on increasing the reproduction success of turtles in Wisconsin. Nim stopped by my place for a day for a photo shoot. Nim liked chasing copopods, but wasn't quite coordinated to catch one.

P1000269.JPG

Likes BillTre, PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Kwolf! :smile:

It sounds like you and @BillTre have a lot in common. Perhaps Bill can suggest which forum would be the best to start a new thread to discuss your questions and projects. :smile:

(Cute little turtle, BTW)

Likes KWolf12
Nice turtle.
Turtles were among my first pets.

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the welcome, berkeman! Hello, BillTre!

That would be cool, to hear about threads I might fit in with. It's my intention to wander around looking at conversations and figuring out the format for a while, before starting anything of my own.

I think the only question I've been trying understand without success lately is sorting out the physics of UV light, because some species of mushrooms glow under blacklight, and I'm not satisfied by any of the half-explanations I've found about what I'm actually seeing, and how that relates to what animals who can see in that spectrum are actually seeing when they look at those same mushrooms.

Likes BillTre
When I read the title, I thought "Ancestral Technologist? Does that mean if I don't like my ancestors I can get a new set? Sweet!"

• Haha
Likes KWolf12
Sure thing, Vanadium 50, why not?

In my case, it takes going back four hundred years to get past the first ancestor I know was engaged in stealing other people's land and shooting anyone who objected. I doubt that guy sprang out of innocence, so screw his parents, too. Ultimately, I just go on backwards in time in search of the skills that might have belonged to non-colonialist, non-imperialist ancestors, living in villages of less than 100 people. What would they have been like?

Then I figure they probably went on intertribal raids and close to 50% of the men were killed in primitive warfare. Yeah, I think I can handle that ancestry; we broke out into explosive bouts of murder every so often, but we stayed in our own tribal networks, dag-nabbit!

Related to Master Naturalist, Ancestral Technologist, and Guerilla Engineer

1. What is a Master Naturalist?

A Master Naturalist is an individual who has completed a specialized training program in natural resource management, conservation, and environmental education. They have a deep understanding of the natural world and are dedicated to promoting its preservation and sustainability.

2. What is an Ancestral Technologist?

An Ancestral Technologist is someone who studies and utilizes traditional or indigenous technologies and techniques to solve modern-day problems. They draw on the knowledge and practices of their ancestors to create sustainable and culturally relevant solutions.

3. What is a Guerilla Engineer?

A Guerilla Engineer is a term used to describe someone who uses unconventional methods and materials to design and build solutions to engineering problems. They often work outside of traditional engineering structures and use creativity and resourcefulness to find solutions.

4. How do these three roles intersect?

Master Naturalists, Ancestral Technologists, and Guerilla Engineers all share a common goal of promoting sustainability and finding innovative solutions to environmental and societal issues. They also draw on a diverse range of knowledge and techniques to achieve this goal, making their roles highly complementary.

5. What are the benefits of incorporating these roles into scientific research and practices?

Incorporating Master Naturalists, Ancestral Technologists, and Guerilla Engineers into scientific research and practices can lead to more holistic and sustainable solutions. These individuals bring unique perspectives and knowledge to the table, which can enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of scientific endeavors. Additionally, their approaches often prioritize community involvement and cultural preservation, leading to more socially responsible and inclusive outcomes.