Massive cable and massive pulley

In summary, the cable unravels and falls due to gravity. The system starts from rest and the cable has negligible thickness. The equation of motion is given by τ=F⋅r=dL/dt and the torque is given by τ=λgxr. After differentiating the equation, the torque and angular momentum are both given. The final equation is (1/2mr+λLr)a-λgrx=0.
Yoni V

Homework Statement

A cable of length L and mass density λ is rolled on a pulley of mass m and radius r, with its tip hanging. The cable starts to unravel and fall due to gravity; the system starts from rest. Assume the cable has negligible thickness and rolls without slipping on the pulley, whereas the pulley spins without friction.
Solve the equation of motion for the cable, denoting its unraveled length as x(t).

Homework Equations

τ = F⋅r = dL/dt
L = Iω
Moment of inertia for a solid disk: I=1/2mr2
Moment of inertia for a ring: I=MR2

The Attempt at a Solution

The torque is given by τ=λgxr
The angular momentum is given by L=(Ipulley+Icable
where Ipulley=1/2mr2 and Icable=λ(L-x)r2
therefore L=(1/2mr2 + λ(L-x)r2
⇒ L=1/2mr2ω + λLr2ω - λxr2ω
Due to non-slipping condition ω=x/r and ω=x⋅⋅/r
So after differentiating L we get dL/dt=(1/2mr+λLr)x⋅⋅ - λrx⋅x - λrxx⋅⋅

And this is where I'm stuck - I have no idea how to solve the differential equation after equating dL/dt with the torque, due to the dx/dt squared (sorry, couldn't figure out how to make the latex work, tried the manual but the previews didn't appear to work).
I guess there supposed to be a more elegant expression so to make the differential equation more reasonable, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF!

You have a good approach. Does the hanging part of the cable contribute to the angular momentum of the system?

Hi, thanks!
And yes, it applies a torque τ=λgxr.

OK, you already had the torque expression correct. You just want to make sure that you have the total angular momentum expressed correctly.

Yes! Got it!
I've neglected the hanging part of the cable in the expression for the angular momentum.
The correction gives L=1/2mr2ω + λLr2ω - λxr2ω + rMcablev
L=1/2mr2ω + λLr2ω - λxr2ω + rλxx
So after substituting ω=x/r the last two terms cancel and after differentiating we get a much nicer equation!
(1/2mr+λLr)a-λgrx=0

And from here on it's just a matter of plugging in the exponent and solving...

Am I correct or have I missed anything else?

Thank you very much, and also thanks for not giving it away entirely!
Yoni

Looks good. Nice work!

Related to Massive cable and massive pulley

1. How does the mass of a cable affect its strength?

The mass of a cable does not directly affect its strength. A cable's strength is determined by its material, diameter, and construction. However, a heavier cable may be able to carry more weight due to its larger diameter and increased number of fibers or strands.

2. What is the purpose of a massive pulley?

A massive pulley is used to redirect the direction of a force and to provide mechanical advantage. In other words, it allows a smaller force to lift or move a larger weight. It is commonly used in lifting and rigging applications.

3. How do I calculate the force required to move a massive pulley?

The force required to move a massive pulley can be calculated using the equation F = (M x a)/r, where F is the force, M is the mass of the object being lifted, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and r is the radius of the pulley.

4. Can a massive cable and pulley system be used for high-speed applications?

Yes, a massive cable and pulley system can be used for high-speed applications. However, the speed and weight capacity of the system will depend on the specific materials and design of the cable and pulley. It is important to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing to ensure safety and efficiency.

5. How do I choose the right cable and pulley for my application?

The right cable and pulley for your application will depend on various factors such as the weight and speed requirements, environmental conditions, and budget. It is important to consult with engineers and manufacturers to determine the best option for your specific needs.