Mass vs Mass as a Force (Weight)

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between mass and weight and the use of different units to measure them. It is explained that mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. The conversation also mentions the use of different units, such as Kg, g, mg, and Mg, to describe weight and the confusion surrounding their use. It is mentioned that the SI committee is responsible for deciding on these units. The conversation also touches on the use of balance scales and spring scales to measure weight and how they are calibrated. Finally, the conversation raises the question of how we know the mass of an object and whether it is based on Earth's gravity.
Digcoal said:
Again, who said anything about “picking how speakers use them?”

Perhaps my stance seems irrational to you because you keep responding to things nobody has said?
Possibly I am confused. You seemed to be arguing that "weight" always means force and claiming that this is a logical consequence... of something.

Is that not your position?

Physics news on Phys.org
jbriggs444 said:
Possibly I am confused. You seemed to be arguing that "weight" always means force and claiming that this is a logical consequence... of something.

Is that not your position?
Nope. It has never been my position.

I said at the very beginning that I suffered through the exact same confusion as the OP. This whole time I have been explaining why it’s such a pointless and convoluted mess absolving the OP of any fault for dysfunctional language.

I’ve understood the disparity for over a decade.

Digcoal said:
Grams is used as a WEIGHT measurement outside of the science community and in everyday life.

The problem arises when we used the same TERM to define MASS.

In imperial measurements, pounds is a measurement of force/weight and slug is a measurement of mass.

This is why science uses Newtons for force/weight and grams for mass.

If there were as hard a push to use Newtons on scales instead of kilograms as there is to push for the use of metric over imperial measurements, your confusion would not occur. I am sympathetic to your plight because I had the same issue reconciling the two ideas a decade ago.
I believe this was my initial comment...

Digcoal said:
Again, who said anything about “picking how speakers use them?”

Perhaps my stance seems irrational to you because you keep responding to things nobody has said?
I have not accused you of irrationality.

It seems that you have accused me of such. You apparently find it irrational to justify the way "weight" is used in practice in commerce.

jbriggs444 said:
I have not accused you of irrationality.

It seems that you have accused me of such. You apparently find it irrational to justify the way "weight" is used in practice in commerce.
I find it irrational to use a term to mean force in some contexts and mass in others when we have terms for both already.

Digcoal said:
I believe this was my initial comment...
Outside the physics classroom, the word "weight" is not automatically a synonym for "force of gravity".

You may find it confusing. Me too. You may see it as being irrational. However, it is nonetheless true. And perfectly rational.

What is irrational is the fallacy of equivocation.

Likes Motore
jbriggs444 said:
Outside the physics classroom, the word "weight" is not automatically a synonym for "force of gravity".

You may find it confusing. Me too. You may see it as being irrational. However, it is nonetheless true. And perfectly rational.
Yes. This is what “depending on context” means.

I am happy we agree.

I am sure you can find other instances of people “truly” saying something while that statement is also irrational.

I, for one, am glad we disabused most of society of the notion that the Earth is flat.

Likes jbriggs444
Digcoal said:
I, for one, am glad we disabused most of society of the notion that the Earth is flat.
A claim that the Earth is flat is something that can be addressed experimentally. We can run tests with telescopes, Foucault pendula, lasers, satellite pictures and such. Yes, we can agree that flat-earthers are irrational (or ignorant or both).

A claim about what the word "weight" means is not something that can be tested in the lab. The relevant experiments would involve visits to the library, standing on street corners and browsing the Internet to see how the word is used. Not everyone who uses the word "weight" to mean what we would call "mass" is irrational to do so. I think we can agree on this as well.

jbriggs444 said:
A claim that the Earth is flat is something that can be addressed experimentally. We can run tests with telescopes, Foucault pendula, lasers, satellite pictures and such. Yes, we can agree that flat-earthers are irrational (or ignorant or both).

A claim about what the word "weight" means is not something that can be tested in the lab. The relevant experiments would involve visits to the library, standing on street corners and browsing the Internet to see how the word is used. Not everyone who uses the word "weight" to mean what we would call "mass" is irrational to do so. I think we can agree on this as well.
Again, I am not arguing what “weight” means in different contexts.

The point is that it is irrational to use the same term in two different contexts to mean two different things.

If it helps you, imagine programming a computer to communicate using your convoluted language. Imagine how many if-then statements you would need to differentiate between the different uses for it. It requires more lines of LOGICAL code because it is an ILLOGICAL language structure.

What I am NOT claiming:
•Weight/Weigh mean the same thing regardless of context.
•People do not use weigh/weight differently depending on context.
•People need to stop using irrational language despite a desperate need to maintain some arbitrary status quo.

What I am arguing:
•Posts like these are perfectly understandable because it is an illogical use of terms.

“We have always done it that way...” is seldom proof that something is logical.

As I said before, your brain has a natural tendency to prune extraneous ideas when learning because it is LOGICAL to do so.

Last edited:
Digcoal said:
[...]

The point is that it is irrational to use the same term in two different contexts to mean two different things.
[...]

That is exactly my point made above about "languages being driven by the less educated". Because the general public is ignorant of how the word "weight" is used by people knowledgeable of physics, it gets used with other meaning on a daily basis. For doctors and merchants "weight is mass", for me "weight is a particular type of force, hence an effect of interaction between bodies".

Last edited:
Likes Digcoal
Digcoal said:

Why is that irrational?

Wow.

Likes Digcoal
Digcoal said:
This is one of those self-disproving types of statement.

So, @Digcoal, tell me about irrational numbers, right?

;)

I believe at this sort of point, normally one is meant to say 'context is everything'.

I buy a massive kilo bar of chocolate, I eat it, and then I go put on pounds of weight! lol

cmb said:
This is one of those self-disproving types of statement.

So, @Digcoal, tell me about irrational numbers, right?

;)

I believe at this sort of point, normally one is meant to say 'context is everything'.

I buy a massive kilo bar of chocolate, I eat it, and then I go put on pounds of weight! lol
I see you want to conflate psychology and mathematics by attempting to draw an equivalency between mass/force/weight (all physical properties) and irrational (psychological and mathematical).

Let’s explore that shall we?

what is “i”? Imaginary? Well, all numbers are imaginary. All words are imaginary as well. Every single thought that you have is imaginary. Colors, odors, sounds, flavors, textures...all imaginary. Irrational numbers? Why? Because particular numbers don’t think logically, or because their existence is illogical? I am a little less critical of words being used in completely different contexts because it is far easier to distinguish meaning in completely different fields of study.

Weigh and weight and weightless are all used differently within the same field of study.

If you would like, point me to a thread in which somebody is confused about irrational arguments and irrational numbers. I will explain it to them as well.

And where do you purchase chocolate that is under 1,000 times Earth’s atmospheric pressure? 😉

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
That is exactly my point made above about "languages being driven by the less educated". Because the general public is ignorant of how the word "weight" is used by people knowledgeable of physics, it gets used with other meaning on a daily basis. For doctors and merchants "weight is mass", for me "weight is a particular type of force, hence an effect of interaction between bodies".
Moreover, where is “weight” used outside the context of gravity? Balance and bathroom scales are designed to function with masses under acceleration, and gravity is the acceleration almost always used by humans to determine mass.

dextercioby said:
Because the general public is ignorant of how the word "weight" is used by people knowledgeable of physics, it gets used with other meaning on a daily basis.
It should be noted, that it's usually not the public that takes words from physics, and uses them wrong. It's physics that takes general words from common language (where they are sometimes already have multiple meanings), and uses them for some very specific physics concepts (sometimes also ambiguously).

Likes Digcoal
JT Smith said:
Why is that irrational?
We are having this discussion, aren’t we?

I’m not the one that started this thread, and it’s perfectly valid for this thread to have been started considering the illogic of using “weight” to mean mass sometimes and force at other times.

I mean, they seem to have compounded it by distinguishing between pound-mass and pound-force. Whoever thought THAT was a good idea probably doesn’t spend much time interacting with the general public.

A.T. said:
It should be noted, that it's usually not the public that takes words from physics, and uses them wrong. It's physics that takes general words from common language (where they are sometimes already have multiple meanings), and uses them for some very specific physics concepts (sometimes also ambiguously).
No argument here.

It’s not just physics, and it happens quite a bit as knowledge increases at an exponential rate. We are learning things faster than we, apparently, have time to coin new words for.

I have no problem adding definitions to established words. I am merely stating that that illogical process of overloading words with meanings causes threads like this to occur. It is natural for the brain to join similar ideas together, but if you don’t create proper distinctions, you get these conversations.

Scientists and mathematicians are seldom linguists/neurologists.

Last edited:
Digcoal said:
Weigh and weight and weightless are all used differently within the same field of study.
What field of study are you talking about?

Digcoal said:
I am merely stating that that illogical process of overloading words with meanings causes threads like this to occur.
Why do you think that that point is not obvious to anyone else? What do you think could be done to improve the situation?

pbuk said:
Why do you think that that point is not obvious to anyone else? What do you think could be done to improve the situation?
Same as learning anything else new: one arduous step at a time. Change always happens, it’s just that many processes evolve over longer timescales than the lifespan of humans or even societies.

Accepting that it is illogical is the first step. Accepting that something is wrong is always the first step to solving any problem. Problems are nothing more than the difference between two states of being. Solutions are the path between those two states. This is true in math/science as well as in personal/political issues.

pbuk said:
What field of study are you talking about?
The one that relates them in the same equation: F = m • a

weight (force) = weight (mass) • acceleration (gravity)

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes rsk and weirdoguy
Digcoal said:
Accepting that it is illogical is the first step. Accepting that something is wrong is always the first step to solving any problem.
OK, I think everyone that understands the concept of mass accepts that using the word "weight" to describe a mass is illogical.

What is the next step?

Digcoal said:
This is true in math/science as well as in personal/political issues.
Can we clarify that there is no inconsistent use of 'weight' and similar terms in math/science? Your posts are confusing to me because it is not clear that you accept this.

• Haha
Likes Digcoal
Digcoal said:

That is wrong. Where have you seen that equation described that way?

• Haha
Likes Digcoal
pbuk said:
OK, I think everyone that understands the concept of mass accepts that using the word "weight" to describe a mass is illogical.

What is the next step?Can we clarify that there is no inconsistent use of 'weight' and similar terms in math/science? Your posts are confusing to me because it is not clear that you accept this.
What is there to accept: that “weight” is used in two different places within the same equation with distinctly different dimensions?

Yeah. I have not denied that “weight” is consistently used illogically.

pbuk said:
That is wrong. Where have you seen that equation described that way?
Are you now denying that “weight” is NOT used to denote mass in some cases and gravitationally induced force in others?

Edit: But to answer your question more directly: 32 pounds-force = 1 pound-mass • 32ft/s^2

Digcoal said:
Are you now denying that “weight” is NOT used to denote mass in some cases and gravitationally induced force in others?
No I am not. Now please answer my question. (Edit: pausing to reconsider double negative).

• Haha
Likes Digcoal
pbuk said:
No I am not. Now please answer my question. (Edit: pausing to reconsider double negative).
I added the more direct answer to my original response.

(Edit: double negatives make discourse clunky like overloading definitions does, aye? 😆)

Digcoal said:
Yes I deny that weight is not used inconsistently. Eliminating two out of the three negagives to reduce confusion: I agree that weight is used inconsistently. I think that we can all agree on that. Where there is a disagreement is that you assert that weight is used inconsistently in science; I assert that it is not: in science weight is always a force, however one example of inconsistent use is between science and commerce where weight is often used to describe a measure of mass.

Digcoal said:
But to answer your question more directly: 32 pounds-force = 1 pound-mass • 32ft/s^2
Answering questions directly is a good way of avoiding confusion: now I can see where you are confused.
  • In science we do not use pounds and feet any more, we use SI units.
  • In engineering and construction in the US (and almost nowhere else) so-called 'imperial' units are still used.
  • In engineering and construction (but not physics), pound-force is a unit of force, pound-mass is a unit of mass.
  • You can read your equation 32 units of force = 1 unit of mass x 32 units of acceleration, but reading it as 32 units of mass = 1 unit of mass x 32 units of acceleration is simply wrong.

• Haha
Likes Digcoal and weirdoguy
Digcoal said:

Can you provide a reference to physics textbook which calls mass "weight"?

• Haha
Likes Dale and Digcoal
pbuk said:
Yes I deny that weight is not used inconsistently. Eliminating two out of the three negagives to reduce confusion: I agree that weight is used inconsistently. I think that we can all agree on that. Where there is a disagreement is that you assert that weight is used inconsistently in science; I assert that it is not: in science weight is always a force, however one example of inconsistent use is between science and commerce where weight is often used to describe a measure of mass.Answering questions directly is a good way of avoiding confusion: now I can see where you are confused.
  • In science we do not use pounds and feet any more, we use SI units.
  • In engineering and construction in the US (and almost nowhere else) so-called 'imperial' units are still used.
  • In engineering and construction (but not physics), pound-force is a unit of force, pound-mass is a unit of mass.
  • You can read your equation 32 units of force = 1 unit of mass x 32 units of acceleration, but reading it as 32 units of mass = 1 unit of mass x 32 units of acceleration is simply wrong.
“Your confusion”

I understand everything you said as you let the point circle nonchalantly over your head.

I suppose you’re going to tell me that “The Order of Operations” is a mathematical concept as well.

Digcoal said:
I understand everything you said
So do you agree that
Digcoal said:
32 pounds-force = 1 pound-mass • 32ft/s^2
is not an example of
Digcoal said:
?

Can you provide another candidate which you believe to be an example?

Digcoal said:
I suppose you’re going to tell me that “The Order of Operations” is a mathematical concept as well.
No, I am trying to reduce confusion by narrowing down the scope of this thread: widening the scope is likely to have the opposite effect.

• Haha
Likes Dale and Digcoal
hutchphd said:
This just seems ferociously silly. If you are a purist you can always substitute the phrase "This can weighs the same as that 1kg mass" for the phrase "this can weighs a kilogram". Problem solved.
I think I will not lose sleep over this.
It would be easier to say that we have clear definitions of physical quantities when doing science and engineering and we have everyday language. The latter is inadequate to communicate science and do practical work as engineers. Thus you should clearly distinguish mass and weight (as well as mass and energy, but that's another more relativistic topic of its own) when doing science and engineering. You cannot fight the sloppy use of words in everyday language, but there it's not a problem, because everybody understands what's meant and the accuracy of expressing mass in terms of its weight on Earth is (almost always) sufficient.

Likes Dale, pbuk and weirdoguy
In chemistry and materials science it's common to refer to atomic weights, or composition by weight, or whatever, when strictly it should be mass. Even in physics people say "we hung a 1 kg weight on the end of the spring, and blah blah blah...".

So long as the equations are right, it really doesn't matter what you call things. Normally it's pretty obvious what someone means by the context, no? :smile:

Likes pbuk
pbuk said:
So do you agree that

is not an example of

?

Can you provide another candidate which you believe to be an example?No, I am trying to reduce confusion by narrowing down the scope of this thread: widening the scope is likely to have the opposite effect.
“Pound” is weight measurement used to denote force when the “-force” modifier is added to it and mass when the “-mass” modifier is added to it.

It is exactly an example of using weight as a force and a mass within the same equation. This has created a situation that requires -force/-mass to be used as a modifier on an imprecise term used for two completely different values.

You are free to defend such a clunky use of language, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that it is clunky.

Mathematics is the complete opposite of “narrowing down the scope.” Mathematics is all about abstracting to pure ideas for easy manipulation of data and reapplication to particular instances.

Perhaps you don’t understand the point of abstraction and instantiation which drives you to defend such an illogical use of language?

The point isn’t about what established conventions are. The point is the illogic of those established conventions. The point about “Order of Operations” is that many non-mathematicians believe it is a mathematical concept which drives them to argue about a “concept” when it is actually a convention. The point is you are arguing about physical concepts when the issue is a linguistic issue.

Last edited: