Mass-spring system in SHM concept question

In summary: When you know the total system energy, you know what fraction of that energy is kinetic energy. As the hint said, the total energy is conserved. :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of energy to solve a problem involving a spring in simple harmonic motion. The final answer is determined to be 15/16, but the steps leading to this conclusion are not fully explained. The potential energy of the spring is found to be proportional to the square of the extension or compression, but there is some confusion regarding the equation for kinetic energy. The conversation ends with a hint to find the total energy of the system, which is conserved.
freshcoast

Homework Statement

1raq6x.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well since spring is in SHM, only conservative forces are at play here. So using conservation of energy, the kinetic energy would be the change in potential energy. Which I have set up as

KE = 1/2k(A^2)2 - 1/2k(A/4)2

after some algebra, combining like terms with common denominators I am left with,

KE = (15/32)kA2

now when I take the fraction of the two, PE/KE of

(15/32)kA2 / 1/2mv2

I get (15/16)kA2/mvf2

So I'm thinking my answer would be 15/16

I don't know whether to just ignore the variables since there was no value in them or I find a way to relate them since I was given a frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
freshcoast said:

Homework Statement

1raq6x.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well since spring is in SHM, only conservative forces are at play here. So using conservation of energy, the kinetic energy would be the change in potential energy. Which I have set up as

KE = 1/2k(A^2)2 - 1/2k(A/4)2

after some algebra, combining like terms with common denominators I am left with,

KE = (15/32)kA2

So far so good. :approve:

now when I take the fraction of the two, PE/KE of

(15/32)kA2 / 1/2mv2

I get (15/16)kA2/mvf2

Sorry but I'm not following you there. :rolleyes:

What's the total energy of the system? Once you find that you can find the ratio of kinetic energy over total energy.

So I'm thinking my answer would be 15/16

It might be 15/16. But if so, you haven't quite shown why yet.

I don't know whether to just ignore the variables since there was no value in them or I find a way to relate them since I was given a frequency?

Hint: your next step is to find the total energy of the system.

[Edit: Another hint: the total energy of the system is conserved, and doesn't change with time. :wink:]

Last edited:
The reason this is a "conceptual" problem, as opposed to a "calculation" problem is that you can use the fact that the potential energy of a spring is proportional to the extension or compression of the spring to quickly find the ratio. When the mass is at distance A from the equilibrium all of the energy is potential, when it is distance 0 from equilibrium, none of it is. when it is at distance A/4 from equilbrium (and so 3A/4 from greatest extension) what fraction of the energy is potential energy? What fraction is kinetic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I think I've figured it out. The total energy of the system can either be when x is at it's max "A", or when the velocity is at it's max = v_max. So I need an equation for the kinetic energy, which I set up as

1/2mvf^2 = 1/2kA^2, which gives me the Vfinal I can use to substitute into the kinetic energy equation above which allows me to take the ratio, and everything being canceled out I am just left with 15/16

HallsofIvy said:
[...] the potential energy of a spring is proportional to the extension or compression of the spring [...]

I think you mean the potential energy is proportional to the square of the extension or compression. :smile:

freshcoast said:
Oh I think I've figured it out. The total energy of the system can either be when x is at it's max "A", or when the velocity is at it's max = v_max. So I need an equation for the kinetic energy, which I set up as

1/2mvf^2 = 1/2kA^2, which gives me the Vfinal I can use to substitute into the kinetic energy equation above which allows me to take the ratio, and everything being canceled out I am just left with 15/16

I am not familiar with whatever you are doing with the "1/2mvf^2." :rolleyes: Maybe you mean [itex] \frac{1}{2}m(v_{max})^2?[/itex].

But yes, the potential energy of the system is [itex] \frac{1}{2}kA^2 [/itex] when the extension is equal to A. You can use that (and a hints from HallsofIvy and myself [my previous post]) to determine the total energy of the system. :wink:

In other words, you could solve for [itex] v_{max} [/itex] and substitute things around. But it's not necessary to even bring [itex] v_{max} [/itex] into the problem. If you know what the potential energy is at maximum extension, then you also know the total system energy.

Related to Mass-spring system in SHM concept question

What is a mass-spring system?

A mass-spring system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a restoring force on the mass, causing it to oscillate back and forth.

What is simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and always directed towards the equilibrium point. This results in a sinusoidal motion with a constant frequency and amplitude.

What factors affect the frequency of a mass-spring system?

The frequency of a mass-spring system is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The frequency is inversely proportional to the mass and proportional to the square root of the spring constant.

How can the amplitude of a mass-spring system be changed?

The amplitude of a mass-spring system can be changed by altering the initial displacement of the mass from equilibrium. The amplitude will also decrease over time due to the effects of damping, which is the dissipation of energy from the system.

What are some real-life applications of mass-spring systems and SHM?

Mass-spring systems and SHM have many practical applications, such as in clocks and watches, musical instruments, shock absorbers, and seismometers. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of oscillating systems.