Mass of chain in shape of parabola

In summary: Don't worry about it. Just try to be more helpful in the future. Lol, we all make mistakes. I know I've made my fair share. Don't worry about it. Just try to be more helpful in the future.
lockedup

Homework Statement

A chain in the shape of [tex]y = x^{2}[/tex] between x = -1 and x = 1, has density of |x|. Find M, and CM.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1}|x|dx = \int^{0}_{-1}-xdx + \int^{1}_{0}xdx = 1[/tex]

I got this far and realized that I did nothing with the function itself. :redface:

The formulas I've used before deal with masses bounded by curves, not the mass of the curves themselves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help? are you ok with finding the length, THEN using the weight of chain per foot, finding total weight?

http://www.descarta2d.com/BookHTML/Chapters/arclen.html#section_63

Good Luck,
LarryR : )

lockedup said:

Homework Statement

A chain in the shape of [tex]y = x^{2}[/tex] between x = -1 and x = 1, has density of |x|. Find M, and CM.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1}|x|dx = \int^{0}_{-1}-xdx + \int^{1}_{0}xdx = 1[/tex]

I got this far and realized that I did nothing with the function itself. :redface:

The formulas I've used before deal with masses bounded by curves, not the mass of the curves themselves.

lockedup said:

No, no. You're on the right tack. Notice that the density of the chain is independent of y, so you don't need to know the function to get the mass.

So was I right the first time? How do I find the center of mass?

I redid the problem using

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1} \rho\sqrt{1+(y')^{2}} dx[/tex]

I then threw an x in there to find the moment and the integral became really nasty.

Intuition tells me that it would be at 0,0 because the function and the density function are both symmetric across the y-axis so both sides should weigh the same. Right?

Yes, you got it right the first time; the mass of the chain is 1.

Use the symmetry of the problem to help solve for the center of mass. By symmetry, the center of mass in the x direction is at y-axis. The center of mass for each leg, in the y direction will be the same for each leg so you only need concern yourself with one leg of the parabola.

You are given rho as a function of x, what is rho as a function of y for the first quadrant? Integrate the mass times displacement from y=0 to y=1.

Phrak said:
Yes, you got it right the first time; the mass of the chain is 1.

No, the infinitesimal length element of the parabola is not just [itex]dx[/itex]. To get the mass, you need to integrate the density over the length of the parabola.

Last edited:
lockedup said:
I redid the problem using

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1} \rho\sqrt{1+(y')^{2}} dx[/tex]

I then threw an x in there to find the moment and the integral became really nasty.

This is the correct method. Break the moment integral into two intervals and use the substitution [itex]x\to-x[/itex] on the negative interval.

Intuition tells me that it would be at 0,0 because the function and the density function are both symmetric across the y-axis so both sides should weigh the same. Right?

You are half correct, the x-coordinate of the CoM will be zero, because the density at the chain are symmetric about the y-axis. The y-coordinatee need not be zero, and your intuition should tell you that it will be positive since most of the chain is at y>0 and its density is always positive. You can verify this by evaluating both the x and y moment intervals.

gabbagabbahey said:
No, the infinitesimal length element of the parabola is not just [itex]dx[/itex]. To get the mass, you need to integrate the density over the length of the parabola.

reread the problem statement

Phrak said:
reread the problem statement

I did, and my comment still stands. What makes you think otherwise?

gabbagabbahey said:
I did, and my comment still stands. What makes you think otherwise?

I took my own advise and reread the problem statement. I been more than just unhelpful, spreading confusion. I'm going to go attend to my depleted ego now.

Phrak said:
I took my own advise and reread the problem statement. I been more than just unhelpful, spreading confusion. I'm going to go attend to my depleted ego now.

Lol, we all make mistakes. I know I've made my fair share.

Related to Mass of chain in shape of parabola

1. What is the "mass of chain in shape of parabola"?

The mass of chain in shape of parabola refers to the total amount of weight or mass that is present in a chain that is formed in the shape of a parabola.

2. How is the mass of a chain in shape of parabola calculated?

The mass of a chain in shape of parabola can be calculated by determining the length of the chain, the density of the material used to make the chain, and the gravitational force acting on the chain.

3. What factors affect the mass of a chain in shape of parabola?

The mass of a chain in shape of parabola is mainly affected by the length of the chain, the density of the material used, and the gravitational force acting on the chain. Other factors such as the shape and thickness of the chain may also have an impact on its mass.

4. What is the significance of determining the mass of a chain in shape of parabola?

Determining the mass of a chain in shape of parabola is important in understanding its strength and stability. It also helps in predicting how the chain will behave under different forces and how it can be used in different applications.

5. Can the mass of a chain in shape of parabola be changed?

Yes, the mass of a chain in shape of parabola can be changed by altering its length, the material used to make it, or the gravitational force acting on it. However, the shape and thickness of the chain may also play a role in determining its mass.